Author Topic: B24 1000 lb.Bombs vs. Hangars  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
B24 1000 lb.Bombs vs. Hangars
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »
One salvo of 3 X 1000 bombs used to kill FHs and BHs. from any altitude in the MA using "formations"

Now it consistantly takes two salvos of 3 = 6 bombs even when the strikes are right on the money.

Has the lethality of 1K eggs been lowered or the hardness of hangars been raised ?

This problem started about 2 months ago.
I've checked the clipboard "Arena Settings" but have nothing to compare the current settings to.

Thanks,
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons
Eagle, Group XO

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
I hear that the Mindeno map did not load the right settings in the SEA last night. It may be map related. Or has it happend on other maps?
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 01:41:18 AM »
Even a dead-center hit with 3x1000 doesn't work; I blame it on bast radius. I myself don't mind using a double salvo; can still disable a medium field with a set of B24s.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 02:17:46 AM »
I heard that it was the blast radius and am a bit disgruntled by it.  I bomb A LOT and rarely miss.  Are we saying now that 1 formation of B26's cannot down FH's at a small field and we MUST up a small mission at least to do the task?  Correct me if I'm wrong about the blast, please.   Grrrr.:mad:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »
It's not that bad. 3x1000 is doing enough damage that a strafe from a couple guns can take it down; probably around 2,900 lbs worth.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 05:59:35 AM »
Glad I wasnt the only one noticing this.

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
I cannot accept that compromise, OOZ662.

After spending 30 minutes or more of my time climbing to a safe altitude, I want to see 3x1000 lbs. flatten a hangar as in real life.  

90+% of my drops are right on target.   I calibrate 3 times, 10 seconds each, inbound after lining up and when a single salvo surrounds 3 sides of a hangar, I expect it to go down.  Anything less is unacceptable.  

Since large fields have 7 FHs, it's impossible to disable fighter take offs now.

If it isn't fixed, I'm gone.  (after 4-5 years in AH)

Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons:furious
Eagle, Group XO

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 10:13:03 PM »
Well, seeing as it's been around since the dawn of AH2; bye....

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 11:55:32 PM »
TIP: Don't take the 1000 lb bombs. What happens? YOu salvo 1 and you use 3000lbs (total), but it's not enough, so you salvo 2, and you waste 6000 (total) on what would only need, say, 3500lbs.

Take 500lb bombs, salvo 3, that's 4500lbs (total) per hangar and you have more drops than if you used up surplus 1k bombs.

Or take 250lb bombs and salvo 5 (works best on slower bombers, if you're FFT at 250mph you'll miss the hangar with most of them).

One note on 1k bombs: Don't drop the salvo the second the hangar touches the crosshair, drop when the crosshair is dead center (or just past) the hangar, that way your drone bombs have the best chance of landing on the target and not next to it.

I've not used 1ks for hangars in a little while so I can't tell if it's changed. I have used the 6x 2000lb load in lancasters to good effect (salvo 1 and you can take out 6 hangars, even a VH, in one blow each).

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Take 500lb bombs, salvo 3, that's 4500lbs (total) per hangar and you have more drops than if you used up surplus 1k bombs.

:aok

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Bomb Blast Radius
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »
I started the "Bomb Blast Radius" thread in this forum on 12/25/05 for this very same problem. The problem started with the last major AH update and one of the things changed in the update was "bomb blast radius". In my humble opinion, it was not a fix.

I have multiple screen shots of hangars that should have been flattened and were not. There are craters around them, and in the roofs and the hangar is still "up". I have been unsuccessful in flattening all hangars on a small field at times with perfect bomb drops, and as a result have been shot down and it has cost us field captures.

I have screenshots of CV damage caused by multiple 500 lb. bombs hitting the decks of the CVs without sinking them.  I have one screen shot showing twenty three (23) gun positions/emplacements/batteries/radar destroyed, etc. without sinking the CV. I had hit the CV with 18 500 lb. bombs.

I have become discouraged with making bombing runs and it has cut down on my time on Aces High as a result. It's just too frustrating to spend half an hour or forty five minutes climbing to altitude, getting to the target, lining up bomb runs and making a perfect drop, only to have the bombs fail to destroy the target. I seldom do anything other than flying bombers, and I am pretty good at it. HTC needs to fix this problem or I will probably spend far less time online. We don't need dumb problems increasing the burnout factor in this game.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't make any difference what bomber you're flying, I've had the same problem with Lancasters, B-17s, and B-24's.

I don't have any way of posting my screenshots since they don't allow attachments in this forum.
F4jCH

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 09:28:09 PM »
So you're really truly actually upset that you (one person) can no longer put an entire airfield out of action?  The though of using teamwork or even the most basic social skills to go with a "friend" or wingman in order to blow things up is too haunting?

Could someone link me to the source that shows that one person has such a debilitating effect on the enemy with such regularity that you have experienced before?

God forbid you actually need to coordinate and plan an attack rather than just climb to 30k to disable an entire airfield single handedly.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 01:12:25 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle327
flatten a hangar as in real life.  

When was the last time you actually bombed a hanger in real life with a heavy bomber?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 01:39:57 AM »
When was the last time you actually bombed a hanger in real life with a heavy bomber

I didn't have to.  My Dad took care of it.
I only had to drop torpedos on submarines from 500 feet above sea level.
35 years USN flight status. P2V5, SP2h, S2F, S2E and last 14 yrs in P3's.
What have you done to advance the cause of freedom ?

Eagle
Eagle, Group XO

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 03:03:48 AM »
Originally posted by Eagle327

What have you done to advance the cause of freedom ?

Eagle

I live my life each day the way I choose to live my life exercising freedoms that exist in this country, thanks.

However, I don't try to "whip it out" on a virtual message board because virtual bombs dropped from a virtual airplane are not killing a virtual hangar.  I suggest you email support@hitechcreations.com and ask for a reimbursement of your lost 30 minute sortie during which your virtual bombs not killing a virtual hangar made you waste virtually one half an hour of your very real time.

35 years in the U.S. Navy should have, by now, taught leadership and the value of working as a team.  If finding a wingman in AH is proving to be too great a challenge then an extra prayer goes out to the crewmembers on board your Orion.