Author Topic: morph?  (Read 334 times)

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
morph?
« on: February 14, 2006, 02:37:28 PM »
hey. i recently got hold of sony vegas 6, and im in the process of setting up a film, outside of AH, which should be pretty cool, but i need help from someone who uses vegas, and i think you do right? anyone elses input is most welcome btw!

so anyways, i was just wondering whether you could just tell me about some of the functions. i've worked out a lot already, but it would be great to have a little guidance from someone who's used it before. i understand how to put footage in and all that kind of stuff, what's really been baffling me is putting credits in, and trying to find how to fade clips/text in and out from black, and just you know, basic editing stuff.

ty very much!!!!!!:aok

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
morph?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »
fading is as easy as it gets. If you want a cross fade, just drag one the ending or begining of one clip into the ending or begining of another clip. Fade out/in is just as easy, move the curser over the upper right or left hand corner of the film clip until a quater circle apears, click on it and drag that into the clip. You'll see the line that designates the fade in/out.

Everyone has their own ways of adding other effects. Really its whatever works best for you. You can have a cross fade with a zoom in/out from A to B or you can just have zoom in/out A to B.

Text is fairly easy to do. If you want rolling credits select rolling text. Then play around with the velocity of the credit roll so you dont have 2-3 minutes worth of credits at the end when it could be crunched down into 1 minute or less. Credit Roll and other text tools are found under Media Generators.

Not sure what to tell you without some more questions to answer. Basicly what I do alot is create short, 20-30 second clips when I'm bored and want to screw around. I'll sit there adding effects, playing around with all sorts of things and render several different copies of the same clip and see which one works/looks best. Its good practice.

Last and best piece of advice I can give you is take your time. When you are at the end of your film editing and think  you're done save and close everything out and wait on putting up on the board. I look at alot of my films and can pick out a hundred things I did that I dont like, and ten times that amount in things I would/should have done differently. If I had waited on finishing it and took some time to let things stew, many of my films would have come out alot better. But when they're films like the ones I do for Aces high, you have to draw a line in the sand and know when enough is enough. YOu're not getting paid for the time you put into these films. Stream told me that a long time ago, and its a good pice of advice.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
morph?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »
great! ty very much, that cleared it up a lot :) i got plenty of time to play about with it and practise. and btw its not a game related movie, more like a special screening TV show type thing :D

when im done with it, which will be a month or around there, i'll post it up. it'll make you laugh for sure:aok

thanks again morph

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
morph?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:04 PM »
No problem.

A few other things to keep in mind.

When you're making a film, always keep in mind what kind of film you're going for. Fast pace with lots of action, you want to keep things "tight". Lots of purposeful scenes, short to no transitions at all. Also, keep the clips where nothing's going on to a minimum. If nothings going on and you need something to happen, screw around with camera angles, jitters ect to liven things up and bring a dead scene to life.

If you're going to use fraps, for the love of god, crop out the ugly fraps logo at the top... That is if you have the demo version of fraps. I've seen far too many good movies marred by the fraps logo.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.