Author Topic: Model airplanes  (Read 833 times)

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
Model airplanes
« on: January 10, 2006, 06:54:38 PM »
Does anyone have a place where they get their models from that they would like to pass on to me? Since I started playing this game it's perking my interest in model kits for planes of the era.
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:27 PM »
Make good friends with your local hobbyshop. I would suggest a non chain store. They can give you a heads up on new models coming in and plenty of tips.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:14:53 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Make good friends with your local hobbyshop. I would suggest a non chain store. They can give you a heads up on new models coming in and plenty of tips.

I live in a very rural area. The closest hobby shop is about 40 minutes away(and that's just a guess).

There aren't any reputable wwII model suppliers on the net?
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 07:27:33 PM »
I know this guy from his days in the Twin Cities Aero Historians.  He's  a good one to deal with.

http://www.rollmodels.com/
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 08:34:57 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:37:55 PM »
Ditto on the Squadron recommendation. Have used them consistnatly for years, and they have always delivered with good service and selection.

They also have a "droolable" catalogue that comes out annually, with good illustratons.

I havent built much for several years, but I'll tell you one thing -- the new kits out are enormously better than what I remember as a kid. You have to be careful, though, as some manufacturers have taken to using old molds (with old standards for detail, fit and historical accuracy) but putting them in brand new style boxes with new copyright dates. There isnt much protection except just knowing what kit issue is in what box.

In general, you cant go far wrong with Tamiya or Hasegawa kits. Some are older, but all have much better fit and molding than the department store style Monogram kits. The extra cost is modest, and far worth it.  The best of the new issues almost fall together when you shake the box! Seams are tight and fit is right, panel lines recessed, just really nice stuff.

I also found an airbrush was well worth it. No other addition improved my builds' appearance as much as the airbrush. Badger makes some nice simple ones.

Take a look at Fine Scale Modeler magazine too -- excellent resopurce. Another great resource is Hyperscale (http://www.hyperscale.com/) which is both an onine magazine and a BBS site.

Course, if you're experienced and just getting back into the hobby most of what I said will be pretty basic. Have fun no matter where you are at!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
Thanks! Appreciate the help guys :)

Offline WindX

• Copper Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 01:03:03 AM »
one word   EBAY!:aok

Offline BigB717

• Copper Member
      • http://members.rogers.com/15jg52/
Model airplanes
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 02:39:27 AM »
I am currently building a Tempest, here is the link.

So far i like there models, they are kits, not arfs, rtfs, rtb, so full building is required. But if you like the better looking ones, i suggest the kits. Pluss u get a great fealing out of it when you finish. Unlike the arfs.

Good ww2 planes on this site if thats what your looking for...

WW2 KITS

:aok

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:59 AM »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 03:23:34 AM »

Offline FlyinFin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 02:54:07 PM by FlyinFin »

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
Are you looking for plastic kit models or R/C?  For R/C try www.hobbypeople.net orTower Hobbies .  For plastic, eBay or a local hobby store would be best.:aok

Offline Deviant

• Zinc Member
Model airplanes
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 11:50:42 PM »