Author Topic: Bwahahaha what are the greeinies gonna do now?  (Read 575 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Bwahahaha what are the greeinies gonna do now?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »
Originally posted by MrBill
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4604332.stm

Any one KNOW the most damaging of all the greenhouse gasses? ;):D

I'm going to go out on a limb and say water vapor.
sand

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
This quote from the BBC article sums it up.

The study highlights, however, the extreme complexity of the relationship between the biological processes of the Earth and the chemistry of our atmosphere - and how much there is yet to discover.

I stopped believing that the current warm spell is entirely man made some time ago. There are simply too many inconsistencies in the whole plot.  But it's got like a religion now and it is sacrelige to doubt any part of the mantra.

One example: Apparently the melting ice cap will release fresh water into the sea near the arctic. This will divert the warming gulf stream to the south which will cause the weather here in the British isles to more closely resemble that of Canada. Meaning the winters will be long and cold with lots of snow. My problem with that theory is that if the snow is melting in the arctic and Canada is warming up. Then why would it snow more here?  

The other problem I see is that people can't tell the difference between environmentally friendly and ecologically friendly. Recycling glass for example. Glass is sand. If you bury it in a hole in the ground. That's environmentally unfriendly but it does no harm other than being unsightly. So it's recycled which I like to point out is ecologically unfriendly. Any manufacturing or remanufacturing process uses energy and causes greenhouse gases to be released. It's the same with paper. Paper is made from trees commercially grown for that very purpose. Recycling paper cause more releases of greenhouse gases and reduces the number of forests planted to produce paper.

Recycling certain things makes sense, but others simply contribute to the problem.

Global warming is one of those myths we will all laugh about in the future.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx

From what I've read, global warming is hardly a myth. In the past 100 years, the global increase in temperature was about 0.6 degrees C. Since 1958, carbon dioxide has risen 15 percent.

The questions are... have we humans contributed to these changes and will these changes become catastrophic?

The first question is moot. The second is too soon to tell, IMHO.
sand

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm going to go out on a limb and say water vapor.

:aok

Now if mankind could just figure out how to stop evaporation in all the bodies of water in the world they would have some, extremely small, chance to stop the natural heating and cooling processes of the planet. ;)

If it is true that the eruption of Krakatoa put more junk into the atmosphere than mankind has in the entire 200 years since the industrial revolution ... then mankind impacts the planet at the rate of 72 minutes per century.  Or on an individual basis, each person has .000144 seconds of environmental impact in his/her lifetime.  

I for one think that we should all panic as soon as possible. :D:D:D
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 01:38:38 PM »
The questions are... have we humans contributed to these changes and will these changes become catastrophic?

I believe only many hundreds of years of deep weather records could determine this.

Even then, Nature could still throw a curveball at us.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »
What is a "deep weather record"?

The thermometer was invented in the 16th century.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
What is a "deep weather record"?

The thermometer was invented in the 16th century.
You realize that science today can tell what the weather temperature was 1,000,000 years ago, right?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
You realize that science today can tell what the weather temperature was 1,000,000 years ago, right?

I doubt that very much.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 02:10:22 PM »
I doubt that very much.

Welcome to the 20th century.
http://www.tidepool.org/archives/brook.html
http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/News____9220.aspx

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »
I heard that the gases given off by burning scientists is benificial to the ozone layer.

lazs

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2006, 02:21:05 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
This quote from the BBC article sums it up.

I stopped believing that the current warm spell is entirely man made some time ago. There are simply too many inconsistencies in the whole plot.  But it's got like a religion now and it is sacrelige to doubt any part of the mantra.

One example: Apparently the melting ice cap will release fresh water into the sea near the arctic. This will divert the warming gulf stream to the south which will cause the weather here in the British isles to more closely resemble that of Canada. Meaning the winters will be long and cold with lots of snow. My problem with that theory is that if the snow is melting in the arctic and Canada is warming up. Then why would it snow more here?  

The other problem I see is that people can't tell the difference between environmentally friendly and ecologically friendly. Recycling glass for example. Glass is sand. If you bury it in a hole in the ground. That's environmentally unfriendly but it does no harm other than being unsightly. So it's recycled which I like to point out is ecologically unfriendly. Any manufacturing or remanufacturing process uses energy and causes greenhouse gases to be released. It's the same with paper. Paper is made from trees commercially grown for that very purpose. Recycling paper cause more releases of greenhouse gases and reduces the number of forests planted to produce paper.

Recycling certain things makes sense, but others simply contribute to the problem.

Now you've gone and done it....common sense can make liberals light headed and neausious. Be very careful

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2006, 02:39:12 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Welcome to the 20th century.
http://www.tidepool.org/archives/brook.html
http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/News____9220.aspx

Evidently... 400,000 or 740,000 = 1,000,000

You may find this site interesting.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2006, 02:43:41 PM »
Evidently... 400,000 or 740,000 = 1,000,000

You may find this site interesting.
whats a couple hundred thou when you're discussing historic global temperatures?:huh

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 02:59:09 PM »
26-60% depending on your math skills. :)
sand