Author Topic: fraps video quality  (Read 949 times)

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
fraps video quality
« on: January 12, 2006, 06:17:57 AM »
i have come to conclusion after trying some settings that fraps stinks for quality video...im looking for good quality but i cant seem to convert to avi without it looking like doodoo...any tips? most options i try with ahfilm lead to errors of some sort  "could not play" etc

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
fraps video quality
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:55:48 AM »
jaxxo, the res fraps records the avis with depends on the size/res of your film viewer window. To record higher res, maximize the viewer before recording.

Also, depending on how much your graphics card/CPU/memory can stomach, try maxing out the detail sliders and vid res ingame before recording (viewer uses those setups). You can also swich on Anti Aliasing for recording, this will smooth out the edges.

My fraps gives me 900x700 res, 12 bit, 30 fps avis, wich is plenty enough quality for editing. (My quality gets lost when i compress the film).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:37:44 PM »
So do you maximise the Aces High filmviewer or the fraps recorder?

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Re: ?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »
Originally posted by Spiffing
So do you maximise the Aces High filmviewer or the fraps recorder?

film viewer window. click the 'full screen' button to the right, after setting up the angles and some lead in so everything has time to render. it'll make the film go full screen (FAR better quality)

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
fraps video quality
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 02:00:08 PM »
thanx for tips ...i got some good ones now as well

change res to higher quality in game..when you record usng fraps in AHfilm it will look to game settings for vid res...you can change old ah files to better quality doing this so no need to refilm in higher res..now you will have to reload cache (automatic) so its a pain in the arse when you log back in

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: ?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 02:06:56 PM »
Originally posted by Pooface
film viewer window. click the 'full screen' button to the right, after setting up the angles and some lead in so everything has time to render. it'll make the film go full screen (FAR better quality)

No actually the FULL SCREEN button leaves me with a lower res then maximising the viewer window Poof. Not sure why.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
fraps video quality
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 02:24:15 PM »
man, what did you spill on your computer? rofl

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
fraps video quality
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
LoL, i dont know. But they are know to do funny things around me..... :D

:noid

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
fraps video quality
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »
Quality of your Avi depends on a lot of things.  Screen res, game quality settings,  frame rate you record, and ending avi screen size.  Fraps, in the simpliest version, takes screen shots of your screen and stores them as bmps. Fraps codec is uncompressed, its an avi in raw form. Fraps can only record to the screen size on a CRT screen, 1152 x 864. This is why your recordings can get really big.  Record at 640 x 480 or if your rig can handle it 800 x 600 @ 12 fps. Make sure you have your anti virus and any programs you don't need running in the background are shut down.  After you are done, take the AVI and dump it into virtual dub and increase the frame rate to 24 fps.  At this time you should convert it to for the first compression, myself use HuffyUV, it's a lossless codec. Then dump it into your video editing software.  After editing it, dump it back into virtual dub and compress it into whatever codec you want for the final version... I, myself use Xvid, seems to be the best at this momment.

Oh forgot... defrag your computer too before you do this.  

What is the maximum resolution supported by Half/Full-size video capture?

The maximum resolution for Half-size capture is 2048x1536. Full-size video capture is limited to a maximum of 1152x864 (4:3) or 1280x720 (widescreen). If Full-size is selected and the game is set to a resolution higher than the maximum, Fraps will automatically switch to Half-size when recording.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 08:15:23 PM by o0Stream140o »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: fraps video quality
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:20:16 PM »
The quality of videos using fraps even at half-res is pretty crappy for me.  Is there some tweaking possible to lose the compression artifacts?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »
The quality of videos using fraps even at half-res is pretty crappy for me.  Is there some tweaking possible to lose the compression artifacts?

I know, resurrection.

Dunno if it helps quality and I've never done it, but I've heard that you record at half speed, or slower, in FRAPS at max resolution then speed it back up in your movie maker if you have a system that can't handle everything at once.

Just throwing that out.  Dunno.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »
Mind posting an example moot.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
I think it might be anti-aliasing that throws off the fraps capture algorithm..
Grab from the AHFV with no AA:

With AA:

This is just from memory, I'll double check that it's AA in a bit.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:09 AM »
On my system I had to add the AHFilm program to the NVidia Control Panels 'Program Settings' tab and set the antialiasing and other graphics settings separate from AH.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 05:10:01 AM »
Time's fun when you're having flies.