Author Topic: First House/VA loans  (Read 753 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 03:11:19 PM »
I bought my house using Cal-Vet. It wasn't that bad.
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Thanks JBA.

Question to all:  HOA fees, if they are included in a listing are they usually anual or monthly?
Depends on the HOA, ours our bi-anally,er bi-Anually.:confused:

Offline Eden

• Copper Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »
Went through all of this myself about a year ago.  Decided against the VA loan and went with a conventional lender.  There is a lot more paperwork with the VA and sellers are often annoyed by the extra inspections and such as are required (This was an issue when we - as buyers - were competing with other potential buyers).  Kinda sad when one of the perks for vets is not really all that useful (at least we get VA hospital benefits) :)

Anyway, good luck and remember when it's all done it will be yours and that is fairly nice thing.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
Sorry Gun...HOA can be monthly. 175.00 sounds about like a 6 month deal. No idea tho. It is very frustrating. I did it a few years ago. My wife , bless her heart was ready to tell em to stick it. But we made it thru. after all is said and done , you'l lok back , a few hairs lighter , but very happy.

Best wishes :)
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  SO I reapplied for another loan today through a LOCAL lender that my realter reccommended.  Turns out he was a Marine as well so we got along great.

The only thing I didn't count on was that they can't include my wife's income in pre-qualifying because she won't have a job when we get there so that might hurt us a bit how much we are approved for.

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2006, 12:03:22 AM »
bought my first thru va in 1972.  i see things havent changed.  but look at the bright side buying isnt as bad as selling.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 07:51:07 PM »
UPDATE:

Just found out I got approved for $150k  I'm excited, now I just have to find a house.  The lender said mine was the best drogetory credit explaination letter she's ever read.....military writing has finally paid off.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 11:21:02 PM »
WTG Guns! With $150K you can buy a little 15 - 20 acre spread with a nice house in the country and tell any HOA to KMA. Welcome to Texas!   :)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 01:05:31 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
WTG Guns! With $150K you can buy a little 15 - 20 acre spread with a nice house in the country and tell any HOA to KMA. Welcome to Texas!   :)

I wouldn't mind doing that at all, cept my kids are still kind of young and probably wouldn't have friends around to play with.  I saw a nice 10 acre spread with a 5 bedroom house and a pool and a barn/workshop for 139.

After living in BFE I want to live at least close to city limits for a few years.  When I get closer to retirment age that's what I'll be doing.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 01:11:28 AM »
After 10 years or so, BFE tends to grow on ya. ;)
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 01:17:54 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
After 10 years or so, BFE tends to grow on ya. ;)

I just don't like the fact that there isn't much major shopping around here.  Everytime my wife wants to go to walmart it costs me $20 in gas.  

Its 8 miles to the west gate.....16 miles to the 14 freeway....and about another 20 or so to get to anything major.  

For example yesterday I needed 1/8" sheet metal screws.  Did the exchange have them????? NO!

I did not feel like driving 40 miles just to get 4 sheet metal screws.

It tends to be the little things that bug me.

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
First House/VA loans
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »
Hrmm.. HOA's I hate them so much I became a Board Member just to screw with people :furious

Depending on how many homes are in the subdivision will sometimes effect the cost of the dues. Example: A Small one like mine we have 38 homes in our neighborhood and our dues are $650.00 which must be paid yearly. Another subdivision farther down the street has over 100 homes and theres are $100.00.  

So as you can see depending on where its at..costs will vary. I pay a premium for a small neighborhood. I only wish it was gated..

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 10:11:57 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I just don't like the fact that there isn't much major shopping around here.  Everytime my wife wants to go to walmart it costs me $20 in gas.  

Its 8 miles to the west gate.....16 miles to the 14 freeway....and about another 20 or so to get to anything major.  

For example yesterday I needed 1/8" sheet metal screws.  Did the exchange have them????? NO!

I did not feel like driving 40 miles just to get 4 sheet metal screws.

It tends to be the little things that bug me.

I have to admit... having a Home Depot has made homeownership a lot easier around here.
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 02:20:03 PM »
Originally posted by nuchpatrick
Hrmm.. HOA's I hate them so much I became a Board Member just to screw with people :furious

Depending on how many homes are in the subdivision will sometimes effect the cost of the dues. Example: A Small one like mine we have 38 homes in our neighborhood and our dues are $650.00 which must be paid yearly. Another subdivision farther down the street has over 100 homes and theres are $100.00.  

So as you can see depending on where its at..costs will vary. I pay a premium for a small neighborhood. I only wish it was gated..

From what I've seen the neighborhoods vary from $65-175 quaterly

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
First House/VA loans
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 02:42:17 PM »
Originally posted by rpm

WHAT!!??

I'm freakin moving! How's the Texas job market?