Author Topic: The DO-335 Arrow (Ant Eater)  (Read 2686 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
The DO-335 Arrow (Ant Eater)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
the salamander would be bas azzzzz!

it supposedly was faster then the 262, and very manueverable.

I was verbally beaten up for suggesting we get it at 1/2 me262 perks sometime last year :) Was quickly pointed out it's supposed to out turn, out climb, & out accelerate the 262. Downside is substantially less firepower (still more than enough for me). One version with 2x20mm and iirc around 120 rpg. The other version packed 2x30mm w/ 60rpg.

Would probably end up costing 400+ perks... but the whines when people ripped off the wooden wings on the merge would be priceless :)

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »
Dang krusty, you get just a little outta hand there. All i'm sayin is that we need another jet or extremley fast prop plane in the game. Maybe a DO-335, maybe a He-162. How bout some wasserfals.

They would be fun to control from the ground. Maybe...omg a Bf-109Z!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
"Dang krusty, you get just a little outta hand there"

yes, I got on a soap box, and I'm sorry, but I stepped off the box at the end of my post :P

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 09:42:16 PM »
:huh
Mental Note Dont Mention Luft46 Around Krusty........

You did see the end of my post there right Krusty....?

EDIT: As I understand it, the reason there are similarities is because the allies captured a lot of there research and such...

Man I knew that someone would bite but not that hard

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 11:13:10 PM »
Originally posted by SMIDSY
. apperently the bearcat was faster, but it wasnt in WWII.

Tell that to the guys who were in VF-19 who took delivery of their Bearcats in May 1945 and operationally deployed on USS Langley when it sailed for the Pacific on 1 August 1945. Guess they were in World War v.2.5?

BTW, VF-18 was also equipped with Bearcats.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 01:52:25 AM »
Originally posted by dizman

Well then how bout the He-162? The peoples fighter. It had twin 20 mm cannons and an ejection seat. It has also been recorded as seeing actual combat at the last 3 months of the war.  Max speed was 525 Mph.

Ejecting looks like certain death, might as well take cyanide instead of being sucked into the engine.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »
"Tell that to the guys who were in VF-19 who took delivery of their Bearcats in May 1945 ..."

And to the family of Major Borsodi who plowed his Lockheed P-80 into the ground at Burtonwood airbase (England) in January 1945!

(side note: German radio announced the type of aircraft that had crashed and personal information on the pilot within the hour it happened)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 05:21:28 PM »
There's a difference between loading the planes on a ship and sailing from California for the weeks-long-trip to the front lines, and actually "seeing combat".

The bearcats were in transit. En route. They were NOT active, by my reckoning.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 06:31:48 PM »
Indeed, the Bearcats did not see combat.

OTOH, VF-19 was operational.

To see someone then say the Bearcat "wasnt in WWII" is ludicrous.

Squadrons were training in Bearcats in May of 1945.

At that same time if ONE...not a squadron...just ONE Nazi experimental wunder plane managed to get into the air and get engaged...win or lose... we'd allow it in the game.

This despite the fact that at that time just about any Nazi plane that made it into the air was flying in a "hostile environment" and likely to be engaged whether the aircraft was "operational" or not. They had no "safe" place to train or test aircraft. Their entire airspace was patrolled by Allied aircraft.

Seems like we walk the knife-edge of a double standard in these discussions.

Too bad VF-19 didn't do it's transition work from CV's off Okinawa in May of 1945, eh?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2006, 10:47:50 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
At that same time if ONE...not a squadron...just ONE Nazi experimental wunder plane managed to get into the air and get engaged...win or lose... we'd allow it in the game.

Actually, not so. HT has specified that the plane must have been delivered to squad/group levels, at least. Has to have seen action, been a production model, and been delivered to at least the basic unit size. Just a heads-up.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:48 PM »
Didn't know that, thanks. I hope he sticks to that.

I'm sure it's going to make a lot of Nazi Wunderplane hopefuls dispair however.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 03:28:50 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Actually, not so. HT has specified that the plane must have been delivered to squad/group levels, at least. Has to have seen action, been a production model, and been delivered to at least the basic unit size. Just a heads-up.

Going by that the Meteor Mk I would not qualify.  It did reach a full squadron in service, but it was never a production version.

The Meteor Mk III does meet that requirement though.  It saw combat, it was in full squadron service and  it was a production aircraft.

The Meteor Mk III is the only Allied "Wonder Weapon" that I can think of that does meet those requirements.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty

By this criteria the P-51H qualifies. They were in squadron service, were flying combat patrols (no enemy encountered) as of August 10, 1945 and were production models.

Am I suggesting that HTC should add the P-51H? No, not until after the plane set has been filled with aircraft that saw heavy service. However, I don't think you can rule out aircraft that were in service, in combat ready squadrons simply because they didn't encounter enemy aircraft or were a couple of days away from flying combat sorties. Strong arguments can be made for the F7F-2N, F8F-1, Meteor III and the He 162 as being legitimate war-time aircraft. That said, I still don't see any justification for adding these until the full spectrum of well used aircraft are added. Just about anyone could list more than two dozen types that should be added before we get to the fringe planes.

Of course, each new type added is a huge undertaking by HTC, so my guess is that we'll never see the above mentioned aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 09:20:50 AM »
No more wunderwaffe or allied super planes please...

There are plenty of wholes in the plane set that have yet to be filled...

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »
HE-162 had low endurance time
HE-162