Author Topic: The DO-335 Arrow (Ant Eater)  (Read 2685 times)

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The DO-335 Arrow (Ant Eater)
« on: January 24, 2006, 09:52:50 PM »

Yes, the arrow. One of the fastest piston powered fighters EVER! It has a push pull prop system. Even has an ejection seat. The arrow had one 30 mm cannon and 2 15mm mg's. this plane even helped to test out the air to ground guided missiles. It never saw any combat but does that really matter?

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:07:19 PM »
Yes it really matters.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:56:31 AM »
Yes. Sorry.

If not then imagine how much fun you could have with some of the stuff at http://www.luft46.com
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:04:54 AM »
it was the fastest production fighter of WWII. this point has been beaten into me in this forum. apperently the bearcat was faster, but it wasnt in WWII.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 11:25:12 AM »
All I can think every time I look at a picture of the Do335 is how spectacularly bad the cockpit visibility would be in it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »

Well then how bout the He-162? The peoples fighter. It had twin 20 mm cannons and an ejection seat. It has also been recorded as seeing actual combat at the last 3 months of the war.  Max speed was 525 Mph.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
the salamander would be bas azzzzz!

it supposedly was faster then the 262, and very manueverable.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »
Saw a picture and a blurb about the Arrow in December's Flypast
magazine.  Apparently the International Flugzeug Museum is building
a replica using alot of original parts.  According to the picture caption,
it's based by Schwenningen in south Germany.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 09:38:20 PM »
someone once asked "but why did the salamander need an ejection seat?"

i then showed him a picture of the aircraft and said "that's why." pointing at the engine placement.

this guy responds "so just because it goes fast?"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 11:05:22 PM »
Originally posted by SMIDSY
it was the fastest production fighter of WWII. this point has been beaten into me in this forum. apperently the bearcat was faster, but it wasnt in WWII.

P-51H was faster...And did fly limited combat sorties in last week of war.
P-47M was faster too.

I see the Do 335 as a fast, but largely useless aircraft inasmuch as the Me 262 was operational. And I agree with Karnak, how does one see out of the thing?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 12:27:48 AM »
Same way you look out of a Lamborghini, look straight and hope nothing catches you.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:36 AM »
I have seen luft 46 before and always find it interesting that (at least in theory) the Germans were so far ahead in aircraft design

A-10 ...whoops  I mean Junkers Ground Attack Project

F86 / Mig15  <---- Focke-Wulf Fw "Super TL"

Osprey <--- Wesserflug We P.1003/1

EDIT: As I understand it, the reason there are similarities is because the allies captured a lot of there research and such...

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2006, 06:19:51 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
P-51H was faster...And did fly limited combat sorties in last week of war.
P-47M was faster too.

I see the Do 335 as a fast, but largely useless aircraft inasmuch as the Me 262 was operational. And I agree with Karnak, how does one see out of the thing?

My regards,

Widewing

SHUT UP!! LALALALALALALA!! I CANT HEAR YOU!!

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 06:48:12 AM »
Osprey has gotta be the coolest looking aircraft of WW2

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 07:37:11 AM »
Consider that the jet program was plagued with problems, and that a reliable jet engine wasn't easily produced. In fact the Me262 got sub-par engines in construction. They turned it into a dog and a sitting duck against allied fighters. Had it been built with the more powerful prototype engines it would have been much more capable, but these simply were too hard to manufacture on the scale required, so weaker engines were used.

That's why you have Ta152s, 190D-12s and the like, Do335s, and many other fast movers with props. Jets weren't reliable enough or plentiful enough.

As for "luft '46" -- I tire of most of the fawning over it. Not that you are, but others gush and gush saying that the Germans of WW2 designed the world we see today, that in fact the F22 is based directly on a luft'46 plan! (and other BS like that). Fact of the matter is this: These guys were being arrested if they didn't produce. They were being forced to design. They were sometimes sent to concentration camps if they did poorly (which is certain death, honestly). There was no rest for them. They were spewing out trash left and right, regardless of how retarded the idea was. This (for one) allowed some literally insane ideas, but also meant that they had to figure out basic things.

Things such as: What is the best way to put a jet engine in a plane? Well as you see a lot of the luft'46 designs have a short stubby body and an engine inline in the center.

That does not mean that the F86 or the Mig15 used this design as a starting point. It means that the best, basic design for a light weight fighter is 1 engine (2 were too heavy, and didn't produce enough power - yet) in the centerline (and if you had 2, lost 1, you didn't have horrible handling this way, see P80, mig15 configurations), with a small body and raked wings.

This does NOT mean that the Germans designed all planes with that configuration, as many luft'46 lovers claim (and some shows on "History Channel"), but rather it means that the Germans were practical and realized there was only one simple way to design a jet fighter with the understanding they had at the time. Now Germans were a bit ahead with their jet aircraft design, so they had a (small) headstart on the other powers. The other powers, however, found out the same thing the Germans did and learned the same principles, so they realized the same thing.

It's logic, not mimicry. You tell a man that 2 and 2 is 4 and he might just copy you. You teach a man that 1 and 1 is 2, then ask him what 2 and 2 is, he should say 4, coming to this conclusion on his own. The rest of the world came to their own conclusions, they didn't copy luft'46 designs.

Sorry, off the soapbox now. :furious