Author Topic: X45 rotaries  (Read 369 times)

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
X45 rotaries
« on: January 29, 2006, 12:01:46 PM »
Hi Guys,

i was forced to use a  X45 instead of my good thrustmaster top gun afterburner 2, now i am trieing to get used to the new buttons config.

I have 3 questions:

1. how on earth am i supposed to reach to the rudder? i cant use the rudder comfortable when on full throttle.

2. Whats the use of the mode switch, apart from flashing one of the 3 lights which looks verry cool but doesnt change anything. Anyway to use it at all? i mapped in in ah but the buttons seem to be dead that its mapped to.

3. i got one of the rotaries set as elevator trim, is there any way to make the second rotary move my headposition sideways so i can look around the dreaded cockpit frame, maybe eaven move it diagonally?

Offline ClevMan

• Copper Member
X45 rotaries
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »
Schutt, I just got a X45, and I know the feeling of getting used to new buttons.  I can't answer all of your questions, but I know I had problems reaching the rudder panel in the beginning.  So, I went into stick settings and inverted the axis for the throttle.  That allows the throttle to be closer to me at max power, and I can reach the rudder rocker panel easier.  

The mode switch on the throttle allows you to map more functions for different gameplay.  

Such as:

Mode 1= Fighters

Mode 2= Bombers

Mode 3= GV's

It gives you more versatility, supposedly (still learning about it), in permanently mapping functions to your stick.  Hope this helps!

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
X45 rotaries
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 08:27:48 PM »
try mounting you throttle at a 45 degree angle it reduces the strain on your wrist

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
X45 rotaries
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:35:07 AM »
Hi Schutt!

I'm sure you know I'm undergoing the same process, just different Saitek stick. Don't know if I can help you, but:

Mode switch - As clevman said, you can use it to multiply commands bound to various buttons/axes/rotaries, basically it works like the pinky switch... this time you can have 6 different set of commands in the same profile (i.e. mode1, mode1+pinkie, mode2, mode2+pinkie, etc). But, to use it, you HAVE to create and configure a profile with the SST software you can download from Saitek site;

Rotary for head movement - You can do it with SST, basically you "cut" the rotary movement excursion in "bands", then you assign a key to each band; in these case, you have to create 3 bands, 1 for the left arrow, 1 for no key, such to have a neutral setting for the rotary, 1 for the right arrow. This way you keep the rotary in neutral state and move it left or right when you have to move head. You can even map for a diagonal movement, but things get a little more complicated and I think it won't be useful, as that type of movement can be useful on a plane and useless in another one.

Personally I bound the arrow keys to one of the hat, but I have one more than you, so it may be not pratical for you. Same thing for the rudder, I have a twisty on the stick and use that one, very handy, maybe for you it's better to set one of the rotary to work as an axis (you can do it with SST, not sure if you can do it with game configuration tool).

How's it going with the feel? I had the same stick you had before, and I'm having a hard time to get used to the new one, I can't get a decent set for axes scaling and deadbands: basically the afterburner spring was different, it seems to me it had a zone where it stiffened and that gave me a better feeling of how hard my virtual pilot was pulling on the stick. The X 52 has a limp spring, with costant hardness, and I lost that feeling... :p and I still can't get used to the new one...
And I don't know if it's faulty: in control panel, on the pitch (Y) axis, when I "pull up", the cross don't move smoothly but with little jumps from one point to another: is it normal, or is the exemplar I have not working properly? Should I send it back???

Lol, I didn't think that changing stick could be so traumatic!!! I need psycological assistance! :D
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
X45 rotaries
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:40:25 AM »
for the rudder.... here's what i did, rather unorthadox, but i like it....

in AH i inverted my throttle axis.

pull back is full throttle, and puts the handle in a more comfortable position on my desk. it took about 1/2 hour to get used to.

as for the rotaries, in the saitek programming you have options for the setup, and choose banded. then you split it into 3 equal bands. the center is nothing, then program the outters to the arrow keys.

i do the same thing with the rudder, since i use pedals.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
X45 rotaries
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:59:59 PM »
Schutt, I didn't think to the most obvious, and maybe easier way to work around the throttle/rocker problem is to limit the forward excursion of the throttle setting an outer deadband with the SST... in the control panel you have to right click with mouse on the throttle space and deselect the "Link deadbands" voice. Then create a single deadband in the forward area of the throttle excursion... the red line will show you the actual position of the throttle, so you can set the deadband at the distance you prefer

This way the throttle axis will still work in AH as if it had a total excursion, while you will be able to use the rocker because you'll reach maximum throttle excursion in game before the actual lever goes "ball to the wall"

I hope I could explain what I mean, if you need help, just ask!

EDIT: I don't know if the SST will let you do the same thing with the X45, to be honest... :p I assumed it would, but I'm not sure about it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 03:02:20 PM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!