Author Topic: 109F Stab 1./JG52 *Second Try*  (Read 623 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
109F Stab 1./JG52 *Second Try*
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:55:29 PM »
I reposted so it would load faster.
Thanks again krusty for the reference photos. I understand they a for a model  and not the most accurate but they do correlate with the photo farley well. They put me in the ball park. and I'm itching to paint  it.I think there is a bit of wiggle room with this one.There isn't much reference to go on .
  I need to tone down the weathering a bit and some other tweaks but Here is what I have done so far today

Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:42:25 AM »
It's a little hard to pick out the grey amongst the red-brown.

Had an idea: your scan says it was camo for low-level over-the-sea flying, so what about sea spray weathering? White salt spray along the leading edges and chin/belly?

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:41:02 AM »
I like it as is as far as paint goes.  I wouldn't put salt on it, however.  Unless it spent a LOT of time down on the deck, it wouldn't  accumulate much.  IOW, it wouldn't look like a car that's been driving in Ohio in the winter :).  OTOH, it would stay wet a lot with accumulated mist and probably fog sitting out on the ramp.  This would build up into drops while parked, which would run down the sides.  This would give you a lot of vertical streaking in the exhaust stains on the fuselage side, from the paths left by the water drops running down.

Now don't take this part the wrong way, because I'm fully aware of the amount of work you've put into this part of it, but IMHO your rivets are WAY too big and visible.  On the scale of the plane, they're all almost as big as car lugnuts.  In real life, a rivet head is only about 1/4" wide, which is only 1/3 to 1/2 a pixel at 1024x1024 on most fighter skins.  Thus, by making your rivets several pixels wide, you've made them 10-12 times bigger than reality.  IMHO, therefore, rivets shouldn't be more than 1 pixel, and even things like dzus fasteners should be no more than 2 pixels wide.  But this is just my opinion.  I really LIKE how your rivets LOOK, in that you've captured the appearance of a countersunk fastener very well.  But they're just way too big for my taste.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »
Thanks BH yea  I'm experimenting with a new rivet techniques .
They are 1 pixel.
I think its the shadow that's making them look larger than a pixel the little circle is 1 pix  
 I didn't know I could go smaller than that . perhaps if I do them at a 1/4 pix they will look in scale.
Ill give it a try I think I pulled off the sunk in to the metal feel but they come of a bit on the big side.
It looks kind of cool to me so I went with it. but im not objective ;)
 I hope with  the smaller size it wont lose the effect.
Ill work with it tonight
~S~ RaVe
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 11:07:55 AM by Nr_RaVeN »

Saadi

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:52:16 PM »
You can't go smaller than that. That's one of the problems. If you do the math, they ought to be 1/2 a pixel, for example. But you can't divide a pixel, so you always have to stop at 1. Some folks a while back tried various things like working in 2048x2048 and giving it 1 pixel then down-sizing it after. It didn't look so good.

Maybe it's the effects around the rivets that make them look so large? Perhaps reduce those? I'm not sure how you set it up so I can only guess.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »
the effect around is 1.5 pix to simulate the rivet pull on the metal and give it a distorted look ill play with it and see if I can come up with an different way to shade it
~S~ RaVe

Saadi

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:34:41 PM »
looks awesome!

i might suggest a very slight layer on the very top, with very low opacity, witha  bluey colour on it, it might make it look a little more sea like, and its easy and fast to do. reckon you could try that rave, a slight blue tinge layer on the very top??

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 04:51:14 PM »
I'll give it a go and see how it looks.
 im sticking with the RML colors why they chose a brown for a sea camo im not sure?
 Perhaps the water over ther has a tinge of brown.
~S~ RaVe

Saadi

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:16:51 AM »
I've been mulling over your work here raven, and couldn't quite figure out what was irking me.

I think I know what it is.

You have too much of the "white stripes" showing. They're too thick. The wings are okay but the fuselage seems out of scale. Compared to the wings and the images you used as references, it seems there's too much of the grey/white. I might suggest expanding the colored areas so that the gaps between them are more narrow.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »
yes they were bugging me also they were a bit fat on the sides around the cok pit at the time I took the screens.  I have since weathered them down to the point were they look much thinner so more brown and grey show I did it that way so I wouldn't have to wrestle with lining up those damn cowl stripes again grr ..that was a pain.
still working on the rivet shading.
~S~

Saadi

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
OMFG THAT IS HOT!
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)