Author Topic: Spud Launchers  (Read 554 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Spud Launchers
« on: February 06, 2006, 04:45:18 PM »
Does anyone have pointers on using the 37mm hub cannon on the Yak-9T in high-deflection shots? I've got the "launch one and hope they splat" technique down, and it seems to be working okay so far, but I'd really like to use more of my 32 rounds. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Spud Launchers
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
get in right behind them, wait for perfect shot, hit hard.

on deflection shots, it all comes down to fine judgement. try not to shoot early or the round spacing will most likely make you miss if the first round is too early.

aim to use one tater, and hit with it.

practice offline.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Spud Launchers
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 05:06:47 PM »
if you're confident just point and shoot really :)

the round has amazing velocity and range. i've killed running temps with it at 1k out, right on the gunsight pip. its just a matter of lining the shot up right

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Spud Launchers
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:08:03 AM »
Well, that's the point. The gun is level until 650 yards out. I was just wondering if anyone had been doing the same research so I wouldn't have to work it out myself. Oh well, to the chalkboard. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Spud Launchers
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 07:27:47 AM »
Save the cannon for HO or good tail chase shots. Although I've also had some luck if they go up, about the time they turn over lob one up at em. IE big slow moving target.

Use the MG's for deflection shots, close in they pack a pretty fair punch, and have a lot better chance of hitting.

Last, come to the TA, turn on the lead computing gunsight, watch the farthest out cross in a fight. It takes some pretty hefty lead at times.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Spud Launchers
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 03:40:42 PM »
For deflection shots, you need to be in close. Like, really close. If you're on someone's 6 matching their turns and want to shoot, you're best off using MG's until they start to fill your windshield. When you're attacking someone and expect them to break (as in they've seen you), you want to guess which way they're going to turn (usually pretty easy), and point your nose in that direction a little bit. Not a whole lot.. you still want to close on them, and don't want your lead to be completely obvious. When they start to break hard, that's where you maneuver in such a way that they'll be crossing in front of your nose at high deflection (90 degrees, or thereabouts is the sweetspot for taters) at d150 or less.

Once you learn how to get people to cross your nose up close at high angles, it's just a matter of getting your trigger timing down so as to minimize the amount of ammo you use. And one other thing... I find it MUCH easier to connect with taters unzoomed.

P.S.
38's/110's/mossies should be your first choice in targets, if you have the luxury to choose. Especially 38's... so easy to hit ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:42:44 PM by wetrat »
Army of Muppets