Author Topic: Air Force enlistment questions  (Read 575 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Air Force enlistment questions
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 01:23:14 PM »
If you're joining the military to make it a career, go to college.

If it's not a career choice, make sure you get a job that will help you once you get out.

That's all I can really say. I can't join the military so you're going to go father than I ever could. :)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 04:37:34 PM »
Seriously, i'd be going to college for mechanics and small business, mechanics i can do at vocational for 2 years if I wanted.  That's why I say I want a little extra cash in grants or scholarships, otherwise i'll join military, have Sammy pay for it, and go from there.  You say you need college education to even ride in helo's?  Hell i'll be willing to go AF or Army just to be able to gun.  That's really where i've set my mind.  Looks like a fun job, every job requires hard work though.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »
Not to rain on your parade. But, keep in mind that the job you do in the military will help a heck of alot if/when you get into the civilian world. So keep in mind that if you plan getting out of the military and not making it a career that you should pick your job wisely. Being a mechanic on helos would be a great job.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »
I wanna have funnnnn though.  I'll work on ugly F16s at the local base (hopefully) if I become a mechanic.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
Nirvana,

Zap me a PM with some contact info......

I have been in AFSOC my entire career.  I started on AC130H gunships then crosstrained to MC130s.  My current job is in AETC (air education and training command) where I can put you in touch with a bunch of guys that can give you the straight skinny on being an MH53/HH60 gunner.  They all share an office with me in the SOF section....and we still get to fly!!!!

Keep in mind though...the MH53 is being phased out with the CV22 in the up coming years.

I'd be glad to give you the in's and out's.

Thoughts on college....hmmm.....thats a personal choice but I would see about going and perhaps doing ROTC or OTS.  You can also look into USAFA.....(I graduated in 1990 from there).

Good Luck......you can email me at shadow17th (at) aol (dot) com.

Regards,

Mike

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 05:18:28 PM »
I'll be working on beautiful planes either on a aircraft carrier or hopefully I'll be lucky enough to get stationed on the East Coast. Germany would be nice to. Always wanted to go to Germany.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
Its nice to dream of a posting in Germany but you have to be realistic. There is a very good chance that you will get shipped out to Afghanistan or Iraq after boot camp. And be prepared to have to man a rifle while you are there.

They are short of people and traditionally non combatant type positions are being used as riflemen.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »
Originally posted by Habu
Its nice to dream of a posting in Germany but you have to be realistic. There is a very good chance that you will get shipped out to Afghanistan or Iraq after boot camp. And be prepared to have to man a rifle while you are there.

They are short of people and traditionally non combatant type positions are being used as riflemen.

Im in the Navy.If I get stationed in Iraq or Afganistan I will continue to do my job as best I can. its part of the job, going to war is included. Just like a garbageman, no one wants to do it but theres those who do.
U.S.N.
OEF 08-09'

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 05:57:14 PM »
Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Good luck.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »
Nirvana, mate,

*LISTEN* to what the nice men are telling you about college.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 06:30:30 PM »
/\
|
is a smart man.  Seriously college chicks are easy and getting easier every day.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 11:20:01 PM »
:lol Gun

I AM planning on going to college, I wouldn't be taking "advanced placement"and "college prep" classes if I wasn't.  Military is just my second choice.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 01:24:23 AM »
I went in 22 yrs ago, but unless you get a guaranteed job, the recruiter has no more clue what you will face than you do. But I suggest the AF if you decide to join. EVERYTHING is better than in the other branches. Unless you like salt air.

THE MAIN THING YOU NEED TO REMEMBER- They are'nt sitting at HQ hoping you join. As much as you think of your abilities, when you get there you are just a number. Another thing is..officers always have it better.
And third, if you do go in and cause trouble..do it on base..because if you get busted off base and tarnish the USAF, its gonna be twice as bad for you when you get back on base.

~AoM~

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 05:47:07 PM »
the USAF usually get's the fattest end of the stick and the carrot as well.
Thats why i joined the USAF
The recruiter will promise you the moon, stars & everything in between:noid
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 06:06:42 PM »
If you're going to be in the military, there are a few truths (as I see them) that you should keep in mind.

First, do NOT join the military unless you very specifically want to do something that you can't get out in the civilian world.  The downsides to military service outweigh the paycheck unless you're doing something you really enjoy.

Second, there is only one downside to being an officer vs. enlisted - you will never work straight office hours.  Almost everything else, from personal freedoms as the new guy to the paycheck, is better as an officer.  But the military does exact it's revenge, as a good officer typically shows up early, leaves late, works weekend, and gets left behind if he does only "his job".  Enlisted troops have to get dirty and work 12 hour shifts like everyone else, but while a 2Lt with 1 week of experience may realistically get called upon to come in at 1am on a Sunday to bail a troop out of jail, the youngest enlisted troop that would typically get called to do that job would be a first sergeant with a dozen years of service.  It's simply a division of duties and even if he's not on the ramp turning a wrench in a snowstorm, a maintenance officer (for example) isn't exactly keeping office hours either.

Third, in my opinion, leading is more fun than following.  Yea being in charge can be scary and I've spent more nights awake worrying about the people who look to me for answers than I do worrying about what is important to me personally, but I still prefer that to having to shut up and take it.

Of course, if you just want to do your job and be able to go home without having to take your work home with you, maybe the enlisted force is the place for you.  Everyone has to make this decision for themselves.  That said, initiative and hard work is usually rewarded throughout the ranks, from the youngest airman to the oldest General.

Knowing what I know now, I'd do it again (USAF Academy) and I'm even more glad I didn't go enlisted because for me personally, the only possible job worth the daily military BS, stress, long days, early report times, and sleepless nights, is being a pilot.  But that's just my opinion, and there are a few hundred thousand other troops who love the military and do not share my opinion on what is "worth it".
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.