Author Topic: this is going to get some play....  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
this is going to get some play....
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 06:46:21 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Funny how no one in the media except a few have bothered to say that Whittington crossed over behind Cheney and came out of the brush behind him and to the side of the hunting group, never saying he was out of position and in the open area where Cheney was supposed to have been shooting. It doesn't mean Cheney isn't at fault, but that Whittington is also at fault. Both of them violated the rules of hunting, not just one. No excuses for either.

I don't think it's Cheney's fault at all...
what was he suppose to do, take roll before he took his shot?

the lawyer knows he was in the wrong. I am sure he will not make the same mistake twice.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 07:39:49 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
I don't think it's Cheney's fault at all...
what was he suppose to do, take roll before he took his shot?

You have got to be kidding here :), you dont think you need to look before you shoot?

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 07:46:21 AM »
Shamus,

Cheney was tracking a quail, left to right. The other guy went out for a bird and was not where he was supposed to be.   Its not like shooting targets that stand still. That quail was BOOKIN, heading out & away. Cheney would have been swinging hard to get lined up on it.

When your swinging fast on a quail, pull the trigger and "Then" the orange blob jumps into view, what are you supposed to do? Pellets were probably out the barrel before he saw him.

storch

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 07:49:14 AM »
it's a good idea to shoot with both eyes open

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 08:01:16 AM »
You guys are kidding right?

It's the guy who got shot fault?

I hunt pheasant and quail alot, and it is ALWAYS the shooter's responsibility to make sure his field of fire is clear.

The guy went after a down bird, and if Cheney and crew didn't stop and wait for him to retrieve it, then they messed up even worse than not making sure they had a clear field of fire.

Mark me down for NOT going hunting with that group, especially since they try to spin that it was actually the shootee who should share the responsibility for getting shot.

Maybe some folks in here need a refresher on their Hunter's Safety Course certificates.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2006, 08:06:25 AM »
I think Harry was wearing jeans or something...and Cheney shot him due to the lack of respect shown for the sport of bird killin.  Had Harry been wearing a jacket and tie none of this would have happened.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2006, 08:08:18 AM »
Granted they were both wrong.

So don't put all the blame on cheney.

Not that I like the man, but in that situation anyone "could" have had the same thing happen.

BTW storch, swinging left to right that left eye is not going to see the problem till its too late.

storch

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 08:33:41 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Granted they were both wrong.

So don't put all the blame on cheney.

Not that I like the man, but in that situation anyone "could" have had the same thing happen.

BTW storch, swinging left to right that left eye is not going to see the problem till its too late.
try keeping both eyes open and see what it does for your peripheral vision and overall situational awareness.  hunting accidents occur every year usually they are caused by carelessness both men were careless apparently but it is always the responsibility of the shooter to make sure the field of fire is clear.  mr cheney is clearly at fault.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
I have always had both eye's open when using a shotgun.

Hunted upland game and rabbits for years in large groups, never had anyone come close to shooting a dog or other hunter.

I think it's a real stitch that anyone is defending the shooter here, it must be because of who he is rather than what he did :).

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 08:49:05 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
and it is ALWAYS the shooter's responsibility to make sure his field of fire is clear.....
Maybe some folks in here need a refresher on their Hunter's Safety Course certificates.

I agree with [edit: Stringer] there is no way to spin this it's clearly Cheney's fault...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:07:04 AM by soda72 »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 09:00:53 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
You guys are kidding right?

It's the guy who got shot fault?

I hunt pheasant and quail alot, and it is ALWAYS the shooter's responsibility to make sure his field of fire is clear.

The guy went after a down bird, and if Cheney and crew didn't stop and wait for him to retrieve it, then they messed up even worse than not making sure they had a clear field of fire.

Mark me down for NOT going hunting with that group, especially since they try to spin that it was actually the shootee who should share the responsibility for getting shot.

Yep, yep and more yep.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 09:18:26 AM »
I should add, that I hope it's the spin guys saying some of this, and that Cheney is probably (hopefully) owning up to his action causing the accident.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »
Everyone's forgetting the most important thing here.

Cheney shot a lawyer.

He should be given a medal.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2006, 09:37:41 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

Cheney shot a lawyer.

:rofl

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

Cheney shot a lawyer.

Well, they don't give out medals for injuring others.

If he can't practice law anymore, then sure, give the veep a medal. ;)