Author Topic: Unable to trim level after losing wingtip...  (Read 532 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Unable to trim level after losing wingtip...
« on: February 17, 2006, 12:25:40 AM »
I have had a problem with the 109s lately. You lose a wingtip and you cannot trim level. I lost a left wingtip (outer half) and with full right rudder I was still unable to control my flight. With full right rudder AND full right aileron I was still unable to. With stick jammed hard right and fully twisted to the right (twisty rudder) I was STILL rolling to the left. I even throttled back to reduce torgue, no deal.

THEN, also had this happen to me in a Ki84! No idea why!!! Lost only outer wingtip, could NOT trim level. Almost every other plane in the game allows this, hell the 190s thrive with missing wingtips, the corsair can touch down happy as you please with no problems missing half a wing. I'm not sure what's different, but I know I've handled this situation in the past with better results.

I only noticed these 2 instances in the past week. THe 109 incident was today in AvA, the Ki84 sometime a week ago in MA.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:41:58 AM »
How fast you was? Most planes becomes uncontrollable at low (~200 mph) speed w/o wingtip. Know nothing about 109 or Ki84 though.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:33:34 AM »
I was very fast when I lost thw 109 wing, about 370 or so. I slowed it down to about 350, then tried diving to see if more speed would help. I pulled out of the dive (barely, I was flopping badly) and slowed down, seeing if that would help, but at 200mph I was still unable to regain any control over the plane. It was totally impossible

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:05:37 PM »
Because you lost your wingtip.

Think of how much lift you just lost and add in that your aileron is now missing.  That means aileron trim isn't going to work on the missing aileron.

Your opposite wing is just making that much more lift and damaged wingtip can't produce equal lift nor can it trim out.

To think that you should be able to trim for level flight as if nothing happened is not a realistic expectation.

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
Because you lost your wingtip.

Think of how much lift you just lost and add in that your aileron is now missing.  That means aileron trim isn't going to work on the missing aileron.

Your opposite wing is just making that much more lift and damaged wingtip can't produce equal lift nor can it trim out.

To think that you should be able to trim for level flight as if nothing happened is not a realistic expectation.

Then the same would apply to other air planes in the game with similar damage?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »
Lose a wingtip in most rides and you can still fly it in, barely. It's now impossible to do this with 190s/109s. I lost a wingtip on a 190a5 today and tried with all my might to get it down, but it ended up uncontrollably spinning.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 02:58:58 AM »
That's why they give you parachutes.

Here's an airplane that just lost an aileron.  It was bad enough for him to give up command of the airplane.  

If you're upset at the level of "realism" modeled then I'd say next time your airplane loses a wingtip do what they'd do back in the '40's and bail out.

Synopsis

Full Narrative

The airplane departed from runway 13, and the pilot executed a left turn to the east. After the airplane was level at 2,000 feet mean sea level (msl) for approximately one minute, the pilot noticed that the airplane began "pulling" to the left. The pilot attempted to troubleshoot the problem and concentrated on the autopilot system due to the failure noted during the pre-flight check. After several unsuccessful attempts to disengage the autopilot with the control yoke switch, the pilot attempted to pull the autopilot circuit breaker. As the pilot bent over to pull the circuit breaker, he noticed that the left aileron was separated at one hinge attach point. While attempting to maintain level flight with two hands on the control stick, the pilot declared an emergency to the ADS air traffic control tower controller.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Lose a wingtip in most rides and you can still fly it in, barely.

Lie.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 12:13:14 PM »
I had a spit16 come up dead 6 on my lancs. I shot his outer wingtip off (the whole tip, not just a pie-wedge of it), and he goes down, so I think he's done. I go back to bombsite, start taking more hits, jump to tail, and the same SOB spit16 trimmed himself out and nosed UP again and was STILL attacking me, missing his wingtip. He was getting lots of hits, too.

Most planes in this game can fly without a wingtip if you trim them properly.

Golfer, a jammed aileron is different from a missing one. If an aileron is only attached at 1 hinge point it's going to be deflecting a LOT of air in one direction or another, more so than it was designed for. That's a totally different situation from what we have here.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »
Try the Typhoon or the yak.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »
It is my understanding that the damage graphic is not indicative of the actual level of damage to the airframe's model.  So, one situation where the wingtip is shot off may actually have caused more damage to the airframe, making it less airworty,  than in another situation where the wingtip is removed.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 04:05:43 PM »
Incorrect, furious. You see a wingtip come off, and he's lost a wingtip. It ws evident in the way he was flying that he had lost it, but he was still flying and still shot me up a bit. Due to his over-controlling to keep his aim straight I ended up outrunning him, I later got the kill as he headed back to base.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 04:07:35 PM »
I think Furious is right on spot.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 04:09:32 PM »
Negative. I have never seen a wingtip come off where the plane did NOT lose a wingtip. It has never happened in all of AH history for me. Ever.

He'll have to prove that to me before I consider believing him.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 04:21:29 PM »
Krusty I hate to tell you but you agree with him.

He said that in some cases when the wingtip is shot off it's just "barely" shot off.  Other times there is more damage than just the wingtip resulting in a less airworthy plane.

At no time did he say you lose a wingtip without losing a wingtip.