Author Topic: 2006: The year GM loses top spot.  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
2006: The year GM loses top spot.
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
My opinion on High-breeds:  Anything to get us less dependent on foreign oil so we can make their leaders "3rd world status" again. :aok

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2006, 11:37:53 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
I'll start another thread when I get a chance about lean techniques.  I say lean techniques because the principles of lean are not just applicable to manufacturing processes, but are applicable to any process.

Thanks Stringer, it would be very much appreciated.

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
err
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2006, 11:48:05 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
Later this year, you'll see the new, more powerful hybrid engine in the best selling car in American, the Camry, and also the Lexus hybrids go on sale in the US. The hp is double the current Prius model and the Camry hybrid will be made in Kentucky.

assembled in Kentucky.....Made in japan!!:eek:
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: err
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2006, 11:55:06 AM »
Originally posted by Kaw1000
assembled in Kentucky.....Made in japan!!:eek:

*Ahem*
http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2005/09/30-1-tmmtx.html

Toyota will have the annual capacity to build 1.81 million cars and trucks, 1.44 million engines, and 600,000 automatic transmissions in North America by 2008. The company’s direct employment is 38,000 and direct investment is more than $16.3 billion with annual purchasing of parts, materials, good and services from North American suppliers totaling nearly $26 billion. Toyota’s North American-produced vehicles are the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra and the Lexus RX330.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »
Originally posted by phookat
4 valves per cylinder and overhead cams and variable valve timing and distributorless ignitions are also more complex than your standard big-block.  They seem to have handled it just fine.
Indeed. My Toyota Celica GTi-16 had all that - and that was in 1988.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the links, Stringer. What a sad program where everyone loses.

BTW, KAW1000: Japanese companies rarely (if ever) repatriate profits back to Japan. Where do you think the money came from to build all the plants in the US? Every major Japanese manufacturer employs more people outside Japan than they do in Japan.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2006, 12:28:37 PM »
Originally posted by wetrat
The Microsoft of low-mid priced cars has arrived :confused:

I'd like to see the recall statistics of Toyota versus any "U.S." auto manufacturer.
sand

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »
"And besides, smallness is not an inherent feature of hybrid technology."

This is true, and in fact hybrid tech would permit the automakers to build really BIG cars that still get great fuel economy.  However, until they actually do so, I'm uninterested in hybrids just as I'm uninterested in conventionally-powered tin can cars.  With people growing tired of SUV's with the associated high CoG and poor handling, perhaps the era of the fullsize car might make a comeback.

Unfortunately, the large number of women who can't drive anything bigger than a go-kart and the even larger number of kids who have never known anything better than a Honda Civic might stand in the way of a return of really well-designed road cars.

J_A_B

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
"I'll stick with my V-8 Buick, thanks."

J_A_B let's be honest.  You're Buick is an anomoly and your experience is in no way a common occurance for a GM consumer grade product - Ford and Chrysler too.

"a return of really well-designed road cars."

Bartender?  I'll have some of what he's drinking! :)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2006, 03:06:09 PM »
GM's current "consumer grade products" are so popular and well-made that the company is fast approaching bankruptcy.   Ford isn't far behind.

They can find all the excuses they want, in the end they're simply building crappy cars that not enough people buy.  Few people who want to buy a Honda or Toyota will buy GM's or Ford's lame copies, and they've managed to alienate their traditional buyers too.  Small wonder they're sinking like a rock.

What do you drive, by the way?  

J_A_B

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
GM's current "consumer grade products" are so popular and well-made that the company is fast approaching bankruptcy.   Ford isn't far behind.

Fifteen years ago management struck a deal with unions that made it all but impossible to close auto plants or lay off workers without incurring massive costs. GM also agreed to retiree benefits that put it at a severe disadvantage. Much of what ails GM today flows from that accounting reality and its inability to increase the business at home.

$1,600-per-vehicle is added for legacy costs, mostly retiree health and pension benefits.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
Other than SUV's I believe fleet sales have been floating Ford and GMs boat for the past few years.

Right now I own a 96 Crown Vic w/80k on it and a 2001 Accord with 60k.  IMO the Accord (although smaller, lighter and less appointed too) is by far and away the better car.
 We bought the Vic from our elderly neighbor with the idea that my wife and two kids would be infinitely safer driving around town in a low mileage V8 powered tank. However I now regret it.
 We gave my wifes niece our old 1992 Accord (160k miles) for use in college and while she's had no repair bills (and I did not do much beyond oil changes to it and a starter replacement) we've had a major repair bill ($400plus) every three or four months to fix this engineered to deteriorate peice of *****t Crown Vic.
 And during the 80's we'd owned Fords, a Pontiac, a Chrysler and a Mitsubishi that gave us 242K in miles before the tranny went and we gave it to my wif'es couisin to have.
 But in 92 we went Honda (her Accord) and Toyota (my Camry). Seeing what friends and family have gone through after they bought US minivans and pass cars we absolutely wil not even consider heading to a Ford, GM or Chrylser dealer lot.
 This summer when we go to buy a new car it'll be another Accord or a Camry.

And fwiw I do not blame the Us auto worker or the unions (especially when one sees these ridiculous bonuses execs got) - I blame the engineering and the planned early obsolesence designed into the products.

p.s sorry for blatant spelling errors. I rushed to post as I'm leaving for the day.....)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2006, 03:39:10 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:19:20 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »
"your not the sharpest tool in the shed are you"

This from the guy who failed to notice I mentioned earlier in the thread that I drive a Buick.

EDIT:  It is nice, though, to see the forum getting some new blood.  It keeps things interesting.  I doubt any of the old-timer O'clubers would ever accuse me of supporting Japanese automakers.

J_A_B
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:48:41 PM by J_A_B »

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
ummm
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2006, 04:03:54 PM »
With all due respect.....what did you mean by "crappy car thing"..what automaker are u supporting??
   I dont think people understand that if ford and gm goes down the whole country goes down....I just dont understand why peeps can't get that!
 American autos are one of last big manufacturers..Its really our last stand in the world market!!!