Author Topic: Request for realistic gun camera  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Request for realistic gun camera
« on: December 18, 2000, 01:48:00 PM »
Again,

A feature that would let me record on film only the firing of the guns and a 3-5 second delay to turn off film after trigger has been released.

Why not?

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
I would be more inclined to ask for a film editor that lets you crop sections of interest... like the gun passes.  Here's why:

Your idea, slaving film start to the trigger with a few seconds after trigger released until stopping, is one of those desirable and "that should be easy to implement" things... but think of how many films you would get cluttering your AH film folder.

I have a hard enough time managing my current film set as it is.  If it starts and stops everytime I pull the trigger... then I have to find which film out of potentially hundreds of films had the good stuff by opening each separately... you see where I'm going.  Film editor, HTC!  

Another thing that would be extremely cool to have:  export AH film to video (mpeg, avi, quicktime, whatever) within the game engine.    Imagine the high quality videos that could be made... and you wouldn't need a TV in/out card either.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2000, 02:12:00 PM »
I think what Yeager is talking about is a video "on" mode that would create only a single video file, with recordings only when the trigger is pulled.

I suggest another option - An editing mode that takes a complete film, and goes through a cutting process.  It will cut out everything except from about 3 seconds before the trigger is pulled, to 3 seconds after the trigger is released.  Probably harder to code than a "simple" gun camera mode because it's editing a full film, but then you could see the few seconds leading up to each shot to help you look at the shot setup.

In any case, I think Yeager's idea is good.  One more recording mode, tied to gun1 and gun2.  It creates a single film, with clips starting at trigger pull and ending 3 (or whatever) seconds after trigger release.  If shooting in bursts, each trigger pull would reset the the 3 second counter to allow for a seamless video of all shots.

For the record, none of Yeager's other ideas are any good.  He also doesn't fly very well unless he's running away.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!

[This message has been edited by eagl (edited 12-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by eagl (edited 12-18-2000).]
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »
Great idea sancho   I thought if this a while back, but it needs to be mentioned to HTC (if not allready in the pipe-line).

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2000, 02:15:00 PM »
why would I want film of my bullets flyin 200 to 300 ft behind my target as he spit s away?  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
It's actually easier to organise films than you might think. I film every combat but can find each one easily by remembering who I shot down or shot me down. Then just go to Start, find, files, specify the films folder and under 'search for text' put 'you shot down xxx' and it'll find the relevant ones. Also works if you can remember someone saying something on the chat during the combat!

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2000, 03:57:00 PM »
I like Yeagers Idea, but in black and white with a lot of motion artifact so it looks authentic .

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2000, 04:44:00 PM »

Originally posted by Suave1:
I like Yeagers Idea, but in black and white with a lot of motion artifact so it looks authentic .

If we had export to video, you could make it black and white and add some artificial dirt and film decay artifacts in another program, like Adobe Premier or Quicktime Pro viewer.  And they could be viewed by anyone... even without installing AH or having a fast 3d video card.  

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2000, 11:58:00 PM »
Good thinking Duma.  One other thing I just thought of pertaining to films...

You should be able to double click a .AHF file (even if it's on the desktop) and automatically start Aces High to play that film.  The interface as is is functional if somewhat unwieldy.

Ok, even if they never add this stuff, film is still one of the coolest features of Aces High, IMO; there's definitely higher priority stuff to add and fix.  Sharing mission films with squadies who couldn't be there, studying moves and observing techniques... I love it!

[This message has been edited by Sancho (edited 12-19-2000).]

funked

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
I want a real gun camera.  Turns on when you fire, and records for 10-15 seconds after.  All footage for each sortie is stored in a file at the end of the sortie.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2000, 03:18:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
I want a real gun camera.  Turns on when you fire, and records for 10-15 seconds after.  All footage for each sortie is stored in a file at the end of the sortie.

At which point, you are asked if want to save. Under setup, flight, film, there will be normal (present) gun cam (functions like WWII cam) and a further options like manual and automatic recording, in automatic mode the cam is operated by trigger, and after ending flight your asked if you want to keep, and in manual it's saved like the present mode.

woooowooowooo!

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »
I think a film editor would be the best thing. A real lousy game "Driver; You are the wheelman" had a great film editor. You could select view angles and automatic panning from different objects, etc. Was fun to play with because you could make a film that would highlight certain events from a driving sequence.

AW had a pretty good film system, as you could start and stop camera during a flight. At the end of the flight, the system would ask you if you wanted to save the film, at which point you could give it a name. (Much easier to name right after, rather than sort through film1, film2, etc. later on.)

What I would really like to see is improved film playback, where things happen the way they did in actual flight. It is so weird to see a plane flying on after you killed it.

------------------
"Wing up, Get kills, Be happy"

Midnight
13th TAS

Offline JG5_Jerry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
Lol - you guys should wait for 'IL-2 Sturmovik' - it's film editor has most (if not all) of the stuff you seem to be looking for...

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2000, 06:10:00 PM »
You can "sort of" record on firing now.  If you have a stick like any of the MS Sidewinders that has profile software, you can apply more then one function to a button.  I noticed you have to remap the alt+r to another key though, r for example.  So you input f+r to button 1.  However, the function is "sticky" you have to turn it off, meaning the next time you press the trigger, the film is turned off.  Somebody has to figure out how to turn sticky on and off.  I figured it out in WBs, haven't figured it out in AH yet.

bowser

-towd_

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2000, 12:32:00 AM »
how bout this you hit the trigger and it saves the film from 30 befor you pulled.you know it auto crops the film.