Author Topic: How hardened is an HQ?  (Read 676 times)

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:49:50 AM »
Exactly how much damage does it take to bring one down?  The HTC damage tables still show 19 x 1,000 pound bombs.  So do the ones at netaces.org.  That's obviously not current.  Can anyone direct me to the current documentation?

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 02:42:52 AM »
If I remember correctly it takes at least 1 flight of lancs to drop it. I don't think any other bomber can do it in 1 drop.   Sorry this isn't very scientific as far as poundage go's but I remember HT saying in one of the patch readme's that the HQ now took xxx amount to kill and how much the lanc had and it was just over the HQ #'s.    

So I would say either try to make it to HQ with your set of lancs or get some people togeather in other bombers.. Sorry I don't have the exact details but I seem to have deleated that exact readme. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 04:15:28 AM »
I did some digging with search.  The quote below is all I've found so far.   It's from 2004.  Not real clear, but it's better than a kick in the head.

So they exactly doubled the HQ number.  Then if it took 19 x 1,000 lb. bombs before, it now takes 38 x 1,000 lb. bombs.

The heaviest load a Lancaster can carry is 14 x 1,000 lb. bombs per plane meaning a total of 42,000 for the entire formation.  I wonder if you could drop all 14 bombs in one pass and have them all hit the HQ?

Originally posted by hitech
We have changed HQ from 120000 to 240000. As a referance one lancanster can cary 90000.

Also HQ can no longer be partialy damaged, All radar types will be lost when the HQ is destroyed.

The numbers are just units of damage and hardness nothing realy to do with LB's.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:49:37 AM »
Default object hardness for a HQ is 37,500 lbs IIRC.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Default object hardness for a HQ is 37,500 lbs IIRC.

In the offline settings I came across the same figure.  However, since I have no access to the online arena settings, even to read only, I couldn't determine for sure that's what it is.  Did you get your data from the same source?

Then there's HT's quote from above.  Wish they'd flat out tell us exactly how much ordnance is required and update the damage tables.

And what is the CM Staff?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:46:43 PM by ChopSaw »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »
Originally posted by ChopSaw
In the offline settings I came across the same figure.  However, since I have no access to the online arena settings, even to read only, I couldn't determine for sure that's what it is.  Did you get your data from the same source?

Then there's HT's quote from above.  Wish they'd flat out tell us exactly how much ordnance is required and update the damage tables.

And what is the CM Staff?

CM=Campaign Managers.  I help run the Wed/Thur SnapShot's  and twice a month King of the Hill.

I have full access to the settingins in the Special Events Arena, and also know what the MA defaults are.  If you want one of the BEST times to be had in Aces High, you should give one of the SnapShots or KOTH's a whirl.  (click the above 2 links for event descriptions, or the link in my signature for a full list of all the events we offer)

Skuzzy just recently mentioned the need to update that list, and I know it's on HTC "to do" list.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 04:53:07 PM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
If I remember correctly it takes at least 1 flight of lancs to drop it. I don't think any other bomber can do it in 1 drop.   Sorry this isn't very scientific as far as poundage go's but I remember HT saying in one of the patch readme's that the HQ now took xxx amount to kill and how much the lanc had and it was just over the HQ #'s.    

So I would say either try to make it to HQ with your set of lancs or get some people togeather in other bombers.. Sorry I don't have the exact details but I seem to have deleated that exact readme. :)

Not true anymore. Thats why HQs are pretty much left alone now adays. Used to be solo missions to HQ all the time. Now its only a mission once in a blue moon.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 07:32:50 PM »
I just got a reply to my letter to HTC.  Skuzzy confirms the 37,500 lb's needed to bring an HQ down.  He says it's not hardwired.  :huh  I'm not sure what that means, but we have the answer.  Thanks, Skuzzy.

As far as one formantion of Lancs being able to take it down, I'm still waiting for someone to tell me they've done it or that it can be done.  Yes, they carry the ordnance (42,000 lbs for the formation), but unless it's delivered on target in the first pass, I can't see how it would bring an HQ down.  I'd think that fourteen bombs would string out to much in a single release.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 04:16:08 AM »
My Squad took 4 flights of lancs to the hq 2 weeks ago. 11 planes made it. We put approximately 20 000 lbs first pass, with the single 4 000lbs, turned around and about  6 lancs  survived and made it back to dump on the HQ, no joy. 3 lancs made it home. Fun but not worth the effort.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 10:20:39 AM »
Originally posted by FTJR
My Squad took 4 flights of lancs to the hq 2 weeks ago. 11 planes made it. We put approximately 20 000 lbs first pass, with the single 4 000lbs, turned around and about  6 lancs  survived and made it back to dump on the HQ, no joy. 3 lancs made it home. Fun but not worth the effort.

Well that doesn't compute.  Eleven planes dropping one 4K bomb each should give you the maximum in pinpoint hits.  Fortyfour thousand pounds didn't bring it down?! :huh

As far as the second pass not killing it, not surprising to me.  When experimenting with hanger take downs I made multiple passes with 1K bombs.  The formation bracketed the hanger each time, some craters impacting the hanger directly.  Three passes, about five minutes between each strike, 9,000 lbs total and nada.  I think there's a rebuild factor between the strikes.  That is, so many minutes pass and it's as if the target is up to its original strength.

I would hope that HQ's are not so hard now that it takes huge numbers of bombers to bring them down.  It certainly seems more than reasonable to assume that a couple of formations of Lancasters or B-24's would be able to bring an HQ down.

There may be another factor in this whole thing that we're not being let in on or that hasn't been calculated.  I'm sure that it takes 37,500 lbs of ordnance to bring it down, but what's the practical upshot of that?  How much ordnance has to be dropped given current bomb and drop modeling?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 10:25:22 AM by ChopSaw »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »
I was being very "general"in the amounts given as hits, since it was several million ah lifetimes ago,  and obviously some bombs missed.

I DO think we got more than the suscribed amount (37.5k) on the HQ but I tend to think what you see is not what you get. i.e what I think hit the target and what did hit could be wildly different things.

But thats AH.. good luck with it
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 12:59:07 PM »
Skuzzy sent me another e-mail with more information on bringing down an HQ.

Skuzzy writes:
Hard to say with any accuracy.  Could take 40,000, 50,000, or even 60,000, depending on the accuracy of the bomber pilot.
One 4,000 pound bomb will not scratch the HQ.  Ten of them (if you can get there fast enough) would do it.  Remember the HQ (and all other strat
targets) repair with time, or can be quickly repaired with a repair drop.

I think that's as definitive an answer as we're going to come up with.  From that, it seems it is now impossible for one pilot to take down an HQ.  The Lancaster can carry the ordnance, just not deliver it all at the same time.  It'd require two passes and the second pass would arrive too late.  Since time is a factor, it's going to take at least two good bomber pilots.  Maybe if they dropped 6 x 2K bombs = 72,000 from Lancasters or 4 x 2K = 48,000 from B-24's, it would do it.  I don't think using the 14 x 1K bomb load out from the Lancasters it going to do it.  The length of the string when they hit is so long some of them miss.

I'll keep experimenting and let you all know what I find.

If anyone has taken an HQ down on a mission recently, I'd sure like to hear it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:02:04 PM by ChopSaw »

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Re: How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 01:38:32 PM »
Exactly how much damage does it take to bring one down?  The HTC damage tables still show 19 x 1,000 pound bombs.  So do the ones at netaces.org.  That's obviously not current.  Can anyone direct me to the current documentation?

I started a thread in the Aces High Bug Reports Forum about the bomb blast radius changes in the last Aces High major update. The lack of destruction by bombs not only applies to the HQ, but the fh's and vh's and also the ships. I have screen shots of bomb damage on hangars that should have taken the hangar down and failed to, and I have screen shots of an entire page in the text buffer of gun emplacements destroyed without sinking the ship.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167129

I suspect that the bomb blast radius is not as big as the bomb crater in the game now, since the last update. It's pretty non-motivating to make a long flight to bomb a target, make a perfect drop and fail to kill the target.

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 01:51:41 PM »
Originally posted by F4J
I started a thread in the Aces High Bug Reports Forum about the bomb blast radius changes in the last Aces High major update. The lack of destruction by bombs not only applies to the HQ, but the fh's and vh's and also the ships. I have screen shots of bomb damage on hangars that should have taken the hangar down and failed to, and I have screen shots of an entire page in the text buffer of gun emplacements destroyed without sinking the ship.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167129

I suspect that the bomb blast radius is not as big as the bomb crater in the game now, since the last update. It's pretty non-motivating to make a long flight to bomb a target, make a perfect drop and fail to kill the target.

I saw that thread and addressed a question to Skuzzy based upon it and my own observations.  Below is his response.

Skuzzy writes:
Bombs use to drop straight from the bomber in AH1.  Now they disperse and create a carpet bombing effect, which is closer to how they really worked in WWII.  But we also added bomb radius damage, which was not prevalent in AH1.

So, we do have the blast radius, but the bombs are spread out more.  The end result is we can't take hangers out with a single salvo of 1K bombs from a single formation as was possible in AH1.  Using the 2K bombs it can be done.  Seems like an overkill, but it's what we have.

As far as sinking the ships, the guns and radar go first and then if enough damage is done the ship is destroyed.  I've sunk more than a few cv's and that's been my observation.  Recently I dropped two salvos of 2K bombs on a cv (12,000 lbs.).  Unfortunately I was lined up a little too well and my drones bombs landed to either side of the ship.  Only the bombs from my lead bomber hit.  Had to make another pass.

Hoefully we'll get the B-29 Superfortress someday soon and that'll help with some of these problems.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 02:11:06 PM by ChopSaw »

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Re: How hardened is an HQ?
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 02:49:38 PM »
I saw that thread and addressed a question to Skuzzy based upon it and my own observations.  Below is his response.

Skuzzy writes:
Bombs use to drop straight from the bomber in AH1.  Now they disperse and create a carpet bombing effect, which is closer to how they really worked in WWII.  But we also added bomb radius damage, which was not prevalent in AH1.

So, we do have the blast radius, but the bombs are spread out more.  The end result is we can't take hangers out with a single salvo of 1K bombs from a single formation as was possible in AH1.  Using the 2K bombs it can be done.  Seems like an overkill, but it's what we have.

As far as sinking the ships, the guns and radar go first and then if enough damage is done the ship is destroyed.  I've sunk more than a few cv's and that's been my observation.

Hoefully we'll get the B-29 Superfortress someday soon and that'll help with some of these problems.

Thanks for your response.

I was under the impression that the Delay factor controlled the bomb dispersal in the game. The closest you can drop the bombs to each other is the .05 second delay. I spread mine out by building in a longer delay, but I've had to tighten it up since the last version update a few months ago. Even by tightning the delay, or adding an extra bomb to the salvo, you still fail to destroy hangars with perfect hits.

While it's true that in real life the bombs might wander a little as they dropped, the hangars are not that hard of a target actually. A typical WWII hangar would have been a wood frame with wood or sheet metal siding probably. In that respect, salvoing 1 500 lb. bomb from a formation should be sufficient to destroy the hangar.

I have multiple screen shots of hangars with one or two craters in the roof, surrounded by craters and the hangar was not destroyed. I have other screen shots of bomb damage messages on ships of anywhere from 12 to 25 radar destroyed, hard gun batteries destroyed, gun emplacements destroyed messages,  etc., and the ship was not sunk. I don't know how to post any screenshots on here since attachments are not allowed.

I've turned in a bug report on taking screenshots of bomb damage also, since your drones will blow up if you take screenshots of the bomb damage in the bombsight.

"But we also added bomb radius damage, which was not prevalent in AH1." I'm not sure what Skuzzy meant by this exactly. It seems as if the bomb radius damage was minimized, rather than added. I've tightened up my delay on hangar drops by .10 and I still fail to kill hangars far too often with good bomb drops. I also frequently drop 4 500's now instead of 3, which used to be reliable for destroying hangars.

I am wondering if the bomb radius damage model is 2 dimensional, in other words, the diameter of the bomb crater, or the radius of the crater from where the bomb hits. It almost seems as if the bomb blast has no vertical effect. In other words, drop the 4k bomb from a formation of lancs right on the deck cables and you fail to sink the cv. The bomb blast damage radius should be like a ball, including damage below and above the bomb impact, and it seems like the bomb blast damage is shaped more like a horizontal disk, taking out the deck guns but not sinking the ship. I hit a cv last night with 6 500's from a formation with a .35 delay (9000 lbs.) I got 25 damage messages in the text buffer but didn't sink the ship. Also, if your bombs hit on top of a hangar, creating holes in the roof, the hangar doesn't get destroyed. If your bombs land all around the sides, the hangar is destroyed fairly well if the bombs are close. The hangars that I failed to destroy, all seem to have holes in the roof, if I didn't miss on the drop.

I'm with ya 100% on the Superforts!