Author Topic: Choice of Ammo load in F4U/F6F  (Read 1993 times)

Offline monteini

• Zinc Member
Choice of Ammo load in F4U/F6F
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 11:28:45 AM »
Sorry Krusty, but I think I'll take the word of ASA, and people who were in the war,Geoffrey Wellum, Mr Edds dad, My grandfather, and many more, over you.

The machine guns of a P-51 Mustang were fed by ammunition belts that were 27 feet long. After a pilot emptied his guns on a target, he would say that he "gave 'em the whole nine yards"

here is where I recieved my information, One of the highest respected Aviation knowledge companies.

Test Pilot- 1,001 things you thought you knew about aviation. Berry Schiff .. Aviation supplies & Academics,. inc Newcastle, washington 2001
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:38:06 AM by monteini »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Choice of Ammo load in F4U/F6F
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »
The point is the publication is a recent one, so you don't know if the pilot is substituting a contemporary phrase. He REMEMBERS saying it, but that may be because it's something so ingrained in the culture now that it's worked its way into memory.

(Read a story not long ago about the infamous "Thunderbird Photo" where the same thing happened: The legend of it became so wide-spread and well-known that people began to remember--GENUINELY--having seen the pic in one magazine or other, even though it never REALLY existied).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.