Author Topic: The Sub Conundrum  (Read 1787 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 12:12:45 AM »
They would be cool. And the water doesnt have to be "deep" to use them. Simply make it when surfaced, have a shape like a surfaced sub. Give it a deck gun and a couple AA guns. And a wake when moving like the PT.

When submerged, it would be invisible. Unless the captain raised the scope. At that time a scope with a wake(if moving ) would appear. The sub could have 4-6 tubes fore and aft, with a reload abilty after so many minutes.

The scope view would be like a gunsight on a tank.  No complicated range/bearing stuff, simply lead and fire like a PT.

When submerged and scope down the boat is invisible. But..if the scope was seen by a plane or ship, and they fire or drop a bomb on it..even if hidden, it would take damage.

For sensors, the sub would see all enemy fleets within its radar range. As well as all air contacts.

The sub would be well perked so there arent a million out there. They could spawn from ports or fleets.

The surface fleet could contact the enemy sub...and provide a sub warning, only if fired upon by the sub.

~AoM~

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 04:55:45 AM »
Why make it gamey. Model the sub as close to real life as possible and treat it (or maybe even a wolf pack) just like a fleet - you send them to an area to patrol. They run on the surface by default. when you take control you can dive (for a time) and control just like a real sub.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 08:09:53 AM »
This is Aces High. Using the GVs as an example..why would the navy be any better? The most work goes inti the planes and air combat. The other stuff is secondary in my opinion. But its fun to dream..thats why this forum is here. :)

~AoM~

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »
Hey, just as long as we get a pink USS Sea Tiger skin I don't care. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
This is Aces High. Using the GVs as an example..why would the navy be any better? The most work goes inti the planes and air combat. The other stuff is secondary in my opinion. But its fun to dream..thats why this forum is here. :)

Ditto...this is not a navy game.  If you want Subs and more realistic naval warfare, im sure there are some sweet sub games out there.

This is an aerial combat game, primarily.  GVs got here because...well i dunno.  

Stick to spending dev time on planes, FMs, and new mission features (ToD).

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2006, 04:18:40 PM »
Originally posted by Casper1
Ditto...this is not a navy game.  If you want Subs and more realistic naval warfare, im sure there are some sweet sub games out there.

This is an aerial combat game, primarily.  GVs got here because...well i dunno.  

Stick to spending dev time on planes, FMs, and new mission features (ToD).

CVs aren't Navy???   F6Fs are not Navy???  

I might be Irish but even I know they are.

lol
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline helldiver

• Copper Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 04:29:09 PM »
the japs planed to use sub luanched float planes to attacke panama but i don't think they ever did though

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »
Submarines have been requested before. There's a search button (somewhere up there), or here's a link to the search feature of this forum.

Here's one link, I suggest you read through that: Link.
Here's a more recent one, from the wishlist-forum, link.

Yes, I'd like to see submarines too. Just not a new thread wishing for them every week. ;)

Oh well, here's a quote (from that first link):
Originally posted by hitech
Subs are somthing Ive always wanted to put in the game. My father is a WWII submariner. USS Carbanaro

Basicly how they would work, is simalar to how convoys and gunners work. You wouldn't just be able to launch a sub then have to drive it for hours to it's destination. What would happen is a subs way points would be set. They would drive themslefs to where you wanted. Once on some one could take control of one of the subs.

Other things also need to be written for subs to be implemented namly sonar for surface ships and depth charges.

HiTech
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 04:47:21 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 07:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Hey, just as long as we get a pink USS Sea Tiger skin I don't care. :D

Nice.:aok I have just been spoiled by Silent Hunter 3 too much. Also, the subs wouldn't be perked, only the good ones. Thats about it. I love that movie.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »
If you like Silent Hunter 3, you should definately see Das Boot - if you haven't already.

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
I have the directors cut.:D

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 08:23:21 PM »
Heh, I figured you would've seen it. :)

Well, then you should read Herbert A. Werner's "Iron Coffins", if you like to read about the Atlantic U-boot war (Amazon link). Yes, it's grim, but also it's also very personal. It hasn't been fun in those German U-boots...

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 02:36:26 PM »
I was thinkin about buying that book. Heard it was good.

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 07:24:58 AM »
Originally posted by Solar10
CVs aren't Navy???   F6Fs are not Navy???  

I might be Irish but even I know they are.

lol

that wasnt my point Solar10.  My point is, lets not annoy HTC with more navy ships that do not support aerial combat.  We have CVs, and Navy planes, and that makes sense.  A submarine doesnt make alot of sense in a Fighter/Bomber WWII sim.  it DOES make sense in a Sub Sim.

Das Boot is a great book.

BTW - I am a HUGE navy/sub fan in general, i just dont see a place for them in AH2, and think other updates/additions would be much better for the game.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »
Originally posted by Casper1
A submarine doesnt make alot of sense in a Fighter/Bomber WWII sim.

Actually it does, it makes one hell of an interesting target!