Author Topic: Best Fighter Squads  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Batfink, a lot of these people make a good point.  How do you quantify "poor," "average," or "good?"  You would need some sort of iterative system where you handicap a squad based on prior performance in the same event.  Thus any early running of the event would require even teams, and handicapping could begin after each squad flies, say, ten or more matches.  At that point, the good, average, and the poor squads should shake out accordingly by record.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Ah, what I wouldn't give to be "poor".  Nah, I'd be not "assigned" and have a personality.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline HardRock

• Zinc Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2006, 01:25:59 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
And even that can be spoofed.

Maybe the approach would be to have experience-based ladders. So one for the people who've been on AH a number of years and fly a lot (you guys can define "a lot"), one for people playing less than a year, and maybe a geezers ladder for all the AW/WB retreads (where they have better SA than gunnery skills). That seems pretty easy to bracket and most people will know which bunch they belong in, and ringers would be pretty easy to spot based on prificiency and style. Obviously some folks could be in a couple of ladders (i.e. a newbie who learned fast, a geezer who now flies 20+ hours per week, etc.).

Having 4v4, 6v6, and 8v8 ladders all running would also open things up, so one elimination doesn't take you out of the tournament completely. And each bump in number of players increases the reliance on SA, teamwork, and role players (i.e. guys willing to get assists).

Since I'm assuming this will all get administered by some online script, having 3 classicications and 3 ladders in each is just a matter of setting up the tables right and then let 'er rip.

Oh ... and you probably want to put some limits on plane selection - like, no jets. Maybe no perk planes at all or it'll just be "All Tempests All The Time".

Maybe have a novelty "4v4 A20's and IL2's" ladder for the bomber people too.

Now as an old AW geezer I LIKE that idea:) It makes perfect sense too.

I really can't compete against AH vets because of the different model here but that shouldn't nullify my refined SA skills from AW. (No comments from the AW peanut gallery please: )
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 01:28:24 PM by HardRock »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2006, 02:00:22 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
Ah, what I wouldn't give to be "poor".  Nah, I'd be not "assigned" and have a personality.

The Houston Texans must have one hell of a heaping tablespoon of personality then.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2006, 03:39:30 PM »
Get this goin right and I may have to come back to Aces High for a bit! :aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
The Houston Texans must have one hell of a heaping tablespoon of personality then.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

I'm glad you see the sarcasm.  Take it easy bud

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »
Originally posted by HardRock
(No comments from the AW peanut gallery please: )

NOOB!

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2006, 06:53:28 PM »
back on topic: i think the squad that commanded the most respect for their sportsmanship and good humor over the years would be De Ol Onz of Air Warrior. sure they werent the most skilled, nor were they the most organized. but they represented the old breed who shouted on open frequency whenever they landed a kill. indeed, i never heard an ill word spoken of De Ol Onz. they were my first squad. they saw me start as a squeeky voiced noob and blossom into a lethal, bearded swan.

they also were one of the last squads to have a battlecry along with the Pigstompers (SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)

so in closing,

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2006, 07:23:31 PM »
I vote 4x4. I'd be amazed if more than 1 or two squads could ever field 8+ people.

Sounds Fun!

g00b

Offline nazgulAX

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.comcast.net/~nazgulsquad
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »
Nazgul are in....let us know when and where.
  Seems like an easy enough senerio....squads show up....4 V 4 , same planes, to be detemined by someone not in the event, and that person would be in a B26 so as to have external view to film the event. Held in DA so any plane goes without perk worries.  Squads up in alphabetical order round robin duel elimination.  You lose....you fly against the next loser...you lose again, your out. The last squad that hasn't lost flys against the last squad that only lost 1. The unbeaten squad has to win 1 of 2 fights.....if they lose both....there done and the other squad wins.\
               Again....where and when, we'll be there.  Don't let the dweebs overthink the whole idea. Most spend more time typing how good they are insted of proving it.   How often do you see Fester, Kappa, Zaphod, Wilbuz, ect...ect..ect....typing in the forums how they will kick your prettythang.  Just put it together.....the real pilots will show up.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 07:19:50 PM »
Originally posted by nazgulAX
Most spend more time typing how good they are insted of proving it.   How often do you see Fester, Kappa, Zaphod, Wilbuz, ect...ect..ect....typing in the forums how they will kick your prettythang.  Just put it together.....the real pilots will show up.

AMEN!

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Best Fighter Squads
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 07:37:39 PM »
Our squad (Lentolaivue 32) has had some good fights during the time I've been involved. We had 8 vs. 8 against the Israeli 101 Squadron (2 frames, of which we won the first and lost the second, IIRC?). Then we've had 3-4 skirmishes (8 vs 8) against the Lentolaivue 34, of which we've lost all.. And then before a scenario (Ruhr) we had a session against the Army of Muppets, P47D25 (or D40?) vs 109G6, which we lost (6 vs 6? 4 vs 4? can't remember). But those were all in AH1...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3