Author Topic: Bring back dropping fuels to 25%  (Read 7850 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Bring back dropping fuels to 25%
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 10:13:29 AM »
Actually the 109F travels pretty far on a tank of gas. As does the e and the 190 A-5. or at least better then their late war counterparts

I used to be one of those fuel porking dweebs. But typically then as now I primarily attacked those bases the horde was upping from so it only effected that portion.

AS a former fuel porker. I can see and agree with the arguement against bringing it back down to 25% as it was used too often against non hording areas in places where people just wanted to furball.

But on the other hand 75% I think is too high. The proper level at which fuel can be reduced to I think would be bettert all the way around at 50%.

That still allows (with proper fuel management which is available but probably rarely actually used in the game) people that want to up for thew quick fight to do so, yet it also alows for the slowing of the horde since they tend top grab to higher altitudes

Whereas most furballs take place at under 10K
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
Howabout this kind of proposal:

To drop fuel to 75%, you bomb the field and such. Ok, not too bad. To pork a sector of field bases to 25%, you can have bomb the fuel refineries or dumps. To protect them there will be more puffy ack and smaller-caliber guns for low-flying craft.

You know what that would inspire? DING DING DING bombing runs! At high alt! Because anything lower would be murder against a stronger gun defense, think of it of going against the equivalent of nearly 10 Osti's and 4 M-16s. Then there is the puffy ack.

You want to knock down the fuel capacity? Give it some hard work and you'll be rewarded! It would give a reason for patroling bomber interceptors along paths and routes to those refineries and dumps.

I can agree with that.
As it is now Strat targets do little to effect the game and most people dont bother bombing them untill they can milkrun em for the quick & easy perk points and easy way to improve rank
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 10:19:15 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Dont forget adding a plane factory while we are at it. Each day a perk plane takes its turn as the factory plane. If the factory is dead, it stays dead for 1 hour, making that plane unavailable.

Actually I think all perk planes & heavy bombers should have their own factory. Likewise Ammo factories should directly effect the type of ordinance available at the bases within their zones

Another thing that should be added is a more complex engine managment system whereas it wuld be a bad thing to run your engine at full bore 100% throttle for an entire flight.
Gun Jams due to overheating would be a plus also
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 12:35:23 PM »
The fuel on a field should be reducible to 25%.  That’s the way it was in AH1 and I didn’t see any lack of furball opportunities there.  Nor did I see a “lone Tiffy” porking large numbers of fields.  I don’t see it now either.  If a Tiffy driver porks a field, he’s lucky to get very far at all on just one field before the ack gets him, an upping defender gets him or he just runs out of ammo.  Multiple fields fully porked by one Tiffy pilot on one upping?  I don’t thinks so.  And if he’s doing it on multiple uppings?  Well that just means by the time he gets to field three, field one is already popping up.  Not much impact there.  Just a futile activity he’s got to get bored with very quickly.

Allowing the fuel to be reduced to 25% allowed for an additional tactical/strategic element in the game.  It made the game more interesting by giving it another dimension.  It didn’t eliminate or punish furballing.  What it did do was make it a higher priority to defend your field.  It also made you have to defend your field if you couldn’t drive all the way to the other guys field.  It placed greater importance on bombers who could up with reduced fuel and still do effective damage.

When I see a P51 successfully taking out ordnance bunkers with its .50 caliber guns, I have to admit the bunkers, fuel and ordnance, should probably be a little harder.  Not so much that you had to use 4K of ordnance to get them down, but it seems perfectly reasonable to require some ordnance to be used.  Personally I do it by dropping 500 lb. bombs on the things and I think that it is more than reasonable to assume that’s going to do the job.

The .50 caliber gun is a powerful weapon.  The 20 mm cannon even more so.  However, allowing either of these to take down bunkers seems questionable despite doubting fighter aircraft are really that much of a problem when it comes to porking.  I do see fighters porking fields, but they only seem to get the job half done.  Time and again I see a field with one of the two barracks down or two of the four ordnance bunkers down.  Could it or can it be done?  I suppose so, but I don’t see it being done or happening in an effective fashion.  I pork with bombers and I do take down entire fields, troops and ordnance though it takes a couple of passes to do it.  If I’m not shot down, I pork a number of fields, but that’s in a bomber up high, out of field ack and out of reach of somebody who upped a defending fighter 60 seconds ago.  It also took an investment of 20 minutes just to get to altitude and up to airspeed, let alone getting to the first target.  Fighters get there much faster.

Finally, this game is about contesting with other humans in a war game.  Not just furballing, not just bombers, not just gv’s, but all of them.  More than that, it used to be more about strategic maneuvering.  It used to be more about the pros and cons of defense and offense and when to use them.  It still is.  It’s just that making fields have 75% minimum fuel and hardening HQ’s beyond all reason have made it less so

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
Chopsaw, a single aircraft killed fuel down to 25% all the time in AH1, several squads prided themselves on this. It completely killed furballs all the time for a longer period that a whole front between 2 countries was dead, playerwise.

Finally, this game is about contesting with other humans in a war game.

Then why avoid all the humans and go destroy a building?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »
Chopsaw, when did you last fly in the Aces High?  I mean we rooks see the solo typhoon act every night and any given front line base.

If you havent seen it, you either arent looking or never use ordinance...thus it wouldnt hinder you.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 03:42:17 PM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
Howabout this kind of proposal:

You know what that would inspire? DING DING DING bombing runs! At high alt! Because anything lower would be murder against a stronger gun defense, think of it of going against the equivalent of nearly 10 Osti's and 4 M-16s. Then there is the puffy ack.

Not at all.  You'd see more diving lancs.  Attacking the CV at low alt is also a sure death, but it does not mater.  They will keep diving in until till it is down.  As long as the fear of death does not exist, this problem cannot be fixed.

On another note, did I read that ord has been taken out consistantly? :lol :lol :lol  And we are supposed to care? :rofl :rofl :rofl  Can you say payback? :rofl   The people taking down FHs are complaining about ord being down?  LMFAO
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 03:43:35 PM »
Yea, heaven forbid bombers like, bomb stuff...dude, get a grip

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Yea, heaven forbid fighters like, fight stuff...dude, get a grip

I feel your pain.  Follow the bomber pilits recomendation.  Up from three fields back.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2006, 04:07:34 PM »
Uh huh, nice quote edit.  

And someone claimed *I* was trying to force how I play the game on others?   Heh...clearly not

:confused:

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Chopsaw, a single aircraft killed fuel down to 25% all the time in AH1, several squads prided themselves on this. It completely killed furballs all the time for a longer period that a whole front between 2 countries was dead, playerwise.

If you've got an entire squad doing it, then I can see how an entire front would be crippled for at least one side.  But that's an entire squad.  They should be able to make an impact.  It's not like they could keep it down for very long even with an entire squad working it.  That having been said, you'd have to do it to both countries on that front for furballs to be curtailed.  That would mean a squad from each side would have to do the same thing at roughly the same time and that just didn't happen.  Additionally, when it was reducible to 25% it put pressure on other aspects of the game such as resupplying.

Originally posted by Delirium
Then why avoid all the humans and go destroy a building?

That's my point.  Bombing buildings of another country is contesting with the team occupying that country.  Further, I don't avoid the fighters.  They're welcome to come up and shoot at me anytime they like.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 04:12:36 PM »
Uh huh, nice quote edit.  

And someone claimed *I* was trying to force how I play the game on others?   Heh...clearly not

lol, not forcing you to do anything.  I don't even know what ord looks like.  It was just a sudgestion I might have picked up from a bomber pilot.

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »
Chopsaw, when did you last fly in the Aces High?  I mean we rooks see the solo typhoon act every night and any given front line base.

If you havent seen it, you either arent looking or never use ordinance...thus it wouldnt hinder you.

:) I fly in AH steadily.  Rarely do I miss more than a couple of days in the MA.  I didn’t say there weren’t solo acts with the Typhoon.  I said they weren’t very effective.  To say that a single Typhoon pilot can bring down an entire front is just plain incorrect.  It can’t be done.

I always use ordnance.  I fly bombers predominantly and you can’t even lift those if there is no ordnance.  Game won’t let you.

Offline ChopSaw

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 04:25:10 PM »
Uh huh, nice quote edit.  

Misquoting is one of dedalos' favorite pastimes.  I think he believes it’s clever.:)

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »
Actualy after reading all this I got an answer to everybodies wishes.......

Have an arena setting that will allow everything go back to the old timey settings before all the newer settings for one tour every 12-18 months. That way everybody gets back to basics and can understand why some things are the way they are now.

Like I stated earlier I'd like to see fuel dropped to 25% again, but alas like on so many other things nobody can agree or agree to disagree on one thing. Each individuals way is the only way and everybody should play their way.

My perfect AH world:

All structures would have the hardness their structure portrays. Sheet metal doesnt stop much and will wilt under any machine gun fire. Concrete structures will take more than .50 cals to kill and fuel tanks will be constanntly on fire until the sea bees build them underground with access hatches for manual pumps.

All strat can be suppliable from players as well as AI. If folks want their fuel to keep flowing even though the field is fully up and the refinery is down, there will individuals that will find fun in delivering supplies to get it back up to get the fuel to the fields again.