Author Topic: Do the ships pitch and roll?  (Read 1184 times)

Hans

Do the ships pitch and roll?
« on: December 19, 2000, 04:58:00 AM »
I don't care too much if there are no 3D waves on the ocean (from what I understand, realistic waves are a stone-cold pig to model right).

However, that doesn't mean that the ship's can't move in directions other than forward.

Vehicles bomb up and down at a skewed angle as they drive across the ground.  I hope the ships do too, though at a much slower rate.

Hans.

TheWobble

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2000, 05:18:00 AM »
Yea and when ya drop a fatty 4k a ways from a PT it should cause it to jump like a frog in a dynomite pond and roll and heave about.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
It would make CV landings soo much more intense aswell....

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
Sex on small boats is great! er...if you are on the bottom that is otherwise you get bruised knees.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2000, 07:45:00 AM »

Originally posted by Torque:
Sex on small boats is great! er...if you are on the bottom that is otherwise you get bruised knees.

Or bruised knuckles in your case, Torque.  

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »
Over a month ago, I axed HiTech if the CV was going to pitch and roll in the water.  He said that he was considering it, and that the code to do it would be relatively easy.  He was concerned about how difficult to impossible it would make landing though.

I for one hope that it does roll and that it is a sunavabeech to land on that sucker.  We shall find out soon I think...

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2000, 08:00:00 AM »
That latest pic of the PT boat doing the turn sure looks like it is tilting.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
One of the HTC boys, mentioned that in this release he "thought" that there will be gentle pitch up and down movements while underway.  From the way his reply was worded it leads me to believe that the water will become more dynamic over time.

AKskurj

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2000, 12:27:00 PM »
 I've noticed in many ground vehicles runs that there is some terrain that the vehicles ride over and it looks/feels just like a boat on the water. I would guess it's easily doable. Will they? No idea.

-Westy

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2000, 12:28:00 PM »
I think this answers the roll question:

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2000, 12:40:00 PM »
I don't see how you've come to that conclusion, Rip. OK, so the image shows the PT boat banking whilst turning - pretty basic, but nice  

The large ship in the background however (The carrier is too small on the image and at a bad angle for comparison):

shows no sign of tilting. So it's anyone's guess right now whether the carrier or ships will tilt and roll.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2000, 12:45:00 PM »
You are correct Duma!  I was thinking in terms of PT boats.    The real question is...is the mess food any good?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
 Unless you've got some very large swells coming at you, and alot of them, a large ship doesn't roll or rock very much at all when underway. The DE's in AH would the most out of all the shisp. But in the water conditions you see in that screen picture there would be next to nothing. It would be one smooth sailing ride.

-Westy

(U.S.Navy 1981-1984)

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2000, 01:15:00 PM »
swag mode on.....big ships won't have much pitch and roll (at least not at first).  They will always be sailing in relatively calm seas.  Small ships (PT) will be like vehicles, just because they are small and can't even handle small seas that well.

Fury

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Westy:
Unless you've got some very large swells coming at you, and alot of them, a large ship doesn't roll or rock very much at all when underway. The DE's in AH would the most out of all the shisp. But in the water conditions you see in that screen picture there would be next to nothing. It would be one smooth sailing ride.

-Westy

(U.S.Navy 1981-1984)

Destroyers do not qualify as large ships. Fargin tin cans, they bob like blonds. (barf)

- Jig