Author Topic: WOW! Consumer grade digital camera image fix  (Read 309 times)

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
WOW! Consumer grade digital camera image fix
« on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »
Lately Ive been wanting a new digital camera, but the high quality SLR style ones with the large sensors are $800+.  Problem is that the non SLR cameras use a much smaller sensor and even the good ones make a lot of digital noise, especially with higher ISO (that how sensative the sensor is, typically you have to make the ISO higher (more sensative) when taking pictures of fast action (you need a fast shutter speed so less time for light to get in), or in just plain lower light situations.  Cleaning up these noise issues has always been a pain for me, and takes hours of photoshopping with less than stellar results, but I just found a freeware solution (they have a paid version for batch processing but the free version rocks!).  It doesnt just blur the image, it really takes out the noise while retaining 95% of the sharpness. :aok

Look at the bottom for COMMUNITY EDITION

original

filtered

These are a part of a large 400 ISO image from Steve's Digicam site, and as you can see, the filtered image is outstanding!

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
WOW! Consumer grade digital camera image fix
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:25:54 AM »
Wow, that works great.

Here's a small tip I know.

Create a copy of the background layer

do a guassian blur of about 4 or 5 or untill the noise seems to go away.
Then blend the two layers with the color blend.  The red goes away alittle and is sometimes blurred but a lot digital color noise goes away.  This works great for cleaning pictures of 100 ISO.
Time's fun when you're having flies.