Author Topic: Another Lock-On Film: Gypsy Day  (Read 616 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Another Lock-On Film: Gypsy Day
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:52:02 PM »
I posted this film somewhere on this board the other night. I dont know where though. I was semi inebriated at the time.... so I must have posted it in the wrong forum.

Anyways, this is a film about the two Lybian Mig-23 Floggers that were downed by two F-14's of the Vf-32 Swordsman  (Call sign Gypsys) that were running cap at the time. The date was Jan 4th 1989, which came to be known as "Gypsy Day". The voice transmitions are from the actual engagement on that day, along with some footage from the fight itself.

Right Click and Save As.

Gypsy Day

Morph
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 01:20:48 AM »
I liked it, it has a very different feel than most of your work, i think it was more subtle, maybe its because you were telling a story, not doing a music video.

the sound of the jet engines didnt sound too good tho, maybe it is my sound system and it just cant handle the extremely high pitch/ high volume in relation to the music.

nice music too.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:58:14 AM »
I liked the music.  Sounds fimiliar.

:)

I feel that you need to go back and add more to it.

I know what it took to produce what you've shown so far and it looks great.
I've seen that video of this event somewhere.

As far as sound, it takes work to do it right.  So, I'd say just lower the sound a bit for engines or add some bass I think, if ya feel it's worth all the extra work.

Merging actual video and sound with video game clips is a BRILLIANT idea.
You are pushing the new expectations for future films to meet :)

I've got a good feeling more good films will be showing up on these boards soon.

:aok :aok

(all comments spoken from a 2 week noob film maker)
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 09:33:10 AM »
Morph as always  well done.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 01:27:25 PM »
LOL thanks Kermit. I think you need to go back and reduce that monster film to something that doesnt take T1 conect to download under 30 minutes. :lol

It means alot.

Not much to possibly add to it. Cant change the story, then it wouldnt be true now would it? ;)

Add too much crap, snapping quick shots in the wrong "setting" and the film looks cluttered and full of useless junk. The picture tells the story and sets the tone. Not someone in the background telling you what's going on.

Your film was top notch, I'll take better notes next time. :aok

Edit: The sound, afterburners, missile's, voice and the carrier take off/full burner from the cats where all recorded on a carrier live, in 2003. I was several hundred yards away at a show when I heard four cats take off. It is anything but stereo. ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 02:21:45 PM by Morpheus »

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »
Well my son, I didn't mean anything negative earlier.

:D
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:37:51 PM »
I have forgotten, how were the MiGs hostile?

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »
I was able to download it here at work. :)

Very nice Morph. I really enjoyed it.  As Kermit said mixing the game film with real film was excellent!  I look at mine and think, ugh I have a long way to go.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 02:14:18 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
I liked the music.  Sounds fimiliar.

Ditto... was it the Crimson Tide soundtrack?

Extremely well done, Morph. WTG. :aok

First half could use a little better balance between engine noise and music... after that I was so engrossed I didn't notice. :)
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
Originally posted by [Sg]ShotGun
I have forgotten, how were the MiGs hostile?

From what I can understand, it is essentially that they continued to go head-on with the F-14's. The F-14's kept turning left and right and the Mig's just kept coming. I forget exactly but the F-14's were under 20 miles range when they finally fired. Anyone who goes HO with a pair of F-14's on a combat patrol is both (a) stupid,  and (b) dead.

Extremely nice video Morph!

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 06:45:09 PM »
Thanks...

Here is a little more background on the engagement.

On January 4th, 1989, VF-32 was assigned to the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67), and during a routine patrol over the Gulf of Sidra, two F-14s from the squadron encountered two Libyan MiG-23s which had originated from the Al Bumbai airfield in Tobruk. The MiG-23s began to close on the two F-14's. For several minutes the MiG's tried to maintain a bearing that would enable them to engage the F-14's, while the F-14's strove to disengage themselves without being forced to leave the area. However after several maneuvers and confirmation that the MiG's were armed (using the F-14's Television Camera System (TCS)) it was decided the Libyans had shown hostile intent (although they had not actually fired) and so the Tomcats were cleared to engage. One F-14 turned in and fired an AIM-7 Sparrow, which failed to track. His wingman, also fired a Sparrow, which tracked and destroyed one of the MiG's, it's pilot successfully ejecting. The first F-14 then closed to within AIM-9 Sidewinder range and managed to maintain a firing position. Once fired the Sidewinder continued to track and hit the MiG-23's rear fuselage. Again the pilot managed to eject successfully.