Author Topic: Atheists Least Trusted  (Read 6298 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »
Hello Crow,

I'll answer your specific questions on Monday, regarding "what I teach my flock about atheists" if this thread is still going, because I want to be entirely accurate. But just a couple of disjointed thoughts in the meantime.

Have you noticed, reading over this and other threads, the uniformly low opinion of evangelical Christians expressed by atheists online here? The willingness to stereotype, condemn, belittle, and attack evangelicals and at the same time to claim a moral high-ground, to insist that they are "good people" (based on what arbitrary standard, I wonder?) indeed,  to insist that they are far better, far smarter and probably even better looking (and more humble of course) than those awful evangelicals?

Yet with all that you are incensed by the possibility that Christians might not trust Atheists? [You assumed, incidently, that the majority of the respondents were fundamentalist Christians, which is highly unlikely.] Why would you care what such an obvious bunch of hateful "mo-rons" like us think anyway?

I've been posting here for what now? Two years, maybe longer? My life is an open book, Maverick has even met me, my family, and our congregation so you can get a independent confirmation that I'm not just an internet persona, but what exactly do you find so contemptible about me and others like me?

You know Crow, when I was a pagan, my word was worthless, I thought I was God, and my morals consisted of doing whatever I thought was right in my own eyes at the time. I felt free to hate and defame whomever I wanted and my charitable contributions to others where either self-serving or non-existent. People would have been foolish to trust me, because I didn't think there was anything greater than me in the universe, and that ultimately whatever I decided to do was "good."

Today, I live, think, feel, and act in manner about as profoundly different from my prior way of life as it is possible to get, and all that not because of any campaign of rigorous self-improvement, and certainly not because of a craven fear of damnation, but because of the kind of heart surgery that only God can effect.

If you want to believe that the "me" of two decades ago was a substantial improvement over the "me" of today, that's your right I suppose, but the truth is that would be a lie.

[Sorry to interrupt the bashing session. Please feel free to continue the display of obvious moral and intellectual superiority.]

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 10:19:58 PM »
You know Crow, when I was a pagan, my word was worthless, I thought I was God, and my morals consisted of doing whatever I thought was right in my own eyes at the time. I felt free to hate and defame whomever I wanted and my charitable contributions to others where either self-serving or non-existent. People would have been foolish to trust me, because I didn't think there was anything greater than me in the universe, and that ultimately whatever I decided to do was "good."

... quick question for yah Seagoon.

If a man is a 'pagan' his word is no good? he is not charitable? his motives are suspect as self-serving?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »
Righto, your actions and motivations mean nothing.  The only thing that matters is whether you pray/go to church/label yourself religious.

Religion allows good people to do evil things, mostly because of what Seagoon just said.  You don't have to actually BE good, you just need to be Christian.  Anytime you do bad stuff, you either ask for forgiveness, or figure out a way that it was actually gods will.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2006, 10:33:25 PM »
Also, notice how silent Seagoon is whenever people trash atheists here.  When someone calls Atheists illogical and moronic, he's quiet.  But when someone dares to suggest that theists are a bit silly, suddenly it's 'bashing'.

For shame.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2006, 10:33:41 PM »
yer scarin the crap outta me.

has this become the United Secular States of America? where, unless you are a christian (how many flavors of them are there, anyway?), jew, moslem or a member of an accredited recognized religion (is scientology a religion?) you cannot possibly be a person of integrity?

USSA Uber Alles!

..... but I think I'll wait on Seagoons take on this credibility issue for non-believers.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2006, 10:39:04 PM »
So lazs, seagoon, what are your views on this guy and the teachings he follows:

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
Seagoon: Will the Dalai Lama burn in hell?

How about Ghandi?

Are there any non-christians that won't burn in hell?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2006, 10:43:13 PM »
cripes, I'm stuck on the terminology..

is he a 'pagan'?

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy

Are there any non-christians that won't burn in hell?

Hell? He's been to New York.. ain't that hell?

...all kidding aside.. lets move forward CAREFULLY in this thread.. no angst, no animosity, no anger, no hate.

let's all be gentlemen about this, mmmkay?

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2006, 10:56:48 PM »
Its normal for stupid people to distrust smart people.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 11:23:11 PM »
you know why I dont like atheists, they always whine about christians trying to convert them and such. I have never had a morman, jehovas witness or the like come to my door. But I have spoke with a bunch of atheists and they all tried to make me become one too.

Funny thing is I got in a fight in school once with a loud mouthed atheist over something else, but after I knocked him down and kicked him in the gut twice, he moaned "oh,god":huh  so I kicked him twice more.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 11:29:37 PM »
It doesn't take a genius to post an insult.

Fair or not, the fact remains, if one believes the University of Minneapolis study that was posted at the start of this thread, that the great majority of Americans do not trust atheists.

True or not, that attitude is fostered by the belief that the doctrine of atheism threatens to cut mankind loose from its moral anchor.  I would also venture to guess that atheism is seen as being the philosophical partner of the doctrine of moral relativism, which many Americans hold in contempt.

Sure, pastors across this country preach against atheism from their pulpits...but they shouldn't be held solely responsible for fostering this attitude among the nation's populace.  There are other factors at play as well.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 11:41:38 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon

Today, I live, think, feel, and act in manner about as profoundly different from my prior way of life as it is possible to get, and all that not because of any campaign of rigorous self-improvement, and certainly not because of a craven fear of damnation, but because of the kind of heart surgery that only God can effect.

If you want to believe that the "me" of two decades ago was a substantial improvement over the "me" of today, that's your right I suppose, but the truth is that would be a lie.

You're a clear example of the good religion can do.  From a worthless terd to a decent human being.  For your sake and the sake of those around you, that's definitely a good thing.

Is it your opinion that anyone who has not found religion is a worthless terd, as you were?
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2006, 11:42:17 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Its normal for stupid people to distrust smart people.

Its also normal for smart people to take advatage of the stupid.
thats how n00bs are pwnd
BOOM!
Headshot!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2006, 11:50:29 PM »
What I will never manage to grasp is the utter disdain that so many athiests have for Christians--ever see those car emblems with the Darwin sign inside the fish? WHAT possible threat could these peeps see from Christians that they feel they must insult their belief system? Christians are made fun of in the press, in movies, tv shows... if they are such utter idiots for having such an outdated, obsolete belief system, why are they important enough worry about, and what the F does it matter what they think?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/