Author Topic: Help with wireless networking?...not for AH gaming  (Read 671 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Help with wireless networking?...not for AH gaming
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:01:23 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have a network set up in my house that is run using a Linksys 4 port wired router. I have experimented with a wireless network in the past but when I was using online flying games there were delays etc. from that router EVEN FROM THE WIRED PORTS.  (bad router?)

I would like to just simply add some sort of wireless connection to the 4 port router. This way I can disconnect and reconnect the wireless router if needed and the rest of the network would be fine. OR I could leave it up and the wireless transmissions would only come from that port on my 4 port wired routher THROUGH the wireless router or access point.

I am getting a laptop tomorrow, YAY UPS!!, that has this for wireless capabilities....Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps).

The router is located in the upstairs closet and I would be using the laptop around the house...max distance through walls would be 100-150 feet.

Any and all help would be appreciated...

Thanks a bunch!

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:13:58 PM »
There should be a half laminated foldout card for your router that will explain everything in (almost) perfect detail.  To set it up you will probably have to wire into your router.

You'll be given an IP, and when you go there you'll be hit up with a Log-In box.  Unless you've changed something, there will be no username and the PWord will be 'admin'.

You should encrypt the network.  Write down the exact code they tell you on which channel.  The router should broadcast 4 channels, but only one of them is real.  You have to tell your laptop this too.

And the most important thing I can think of right now is to give your WiFi connection a UNIQUE name.  For the longest time, my neighbor and I were running on a network of the same name, and we both could not figure out what the hell was going on.  It would cut out and reconnect whenever it felt like it.  It was getting confused because it was reading a network of the same name, but different codes.  So one day I renamed mine.

Also, that router might be bad.  I played AH and several FPS games over wireless without any problem at all, or even any slowdowns.  This was probably through 2 or 3 walls, a fireplace and about 30 feet.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
So you are suggesting going with a wired/wireless combo router?

I dont want to have the wireless up at all times...I want to be able to just disconnect the puppy when I am not using the thing and just continue with the Linksys 4 port I already have.

Call me silly but once I have my stuff working for AH2 I hate changing things because I hate having to troubleshoot problems....you know the adage...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Any recommendations to get for this?

If I have to go with the wired/wireless combo....any recommendations for that?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 05:35:37 PM »
Originally posted by guttboy
So you are suggesting going with a wired/wireless combo router?

I dont want to have the wireless up at all times...I want to be able to just disconnect the puppy when I am not using the thing and just continue with the Linksys 4 port I already have.

Call me silly but once I have my stuff working for AH2 I hate changing things because I hate having to troubleshoot problems....you know the adage...if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Any recommendations to get for this?

If I have to go with the wired/wireless combo....any recommendations for that?

I just got a linksys Wirless-g 4 port router and the thing works fine for gaming.  If you WANT to disable the wirless feture all you have to do is go to http://192.168.1.1 and hit disable.  

They seem pretty reliable and fairly easy to set up  (remember if all else fails restart your computer)  I'm not sure why you want to disable the wirless function when not in use though.  It's pretty simple to encrypt it and at best mac address filtering will keep out unwanteds and that's easy to set up as well.

I really don't think  you are going to see a noticable delay while flying just because the wirless function is on.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 05:39:16 PM »
Thats the thing gunslinger....when I had one of these before...AH2 ran like crap....variance, warps, discoes......

Now it could have been the router....OR....it was the wireless portion...that I do not know.....

Just dont want to go the route of going and getting another......

BTW what is your range on the wireless you are running

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:41:31 PM »
Over the weekend, I thought I'd verify that my Linksys wireless router was up to date with the latest bios.  I realized right off that I had left the wireless enabled....ooops.

But just wondering, I hit "network neighborhood" to see if any of my neighbors were leeching.  Sure enough, I see a connection there.  I tap away and nothng is shared, except their printer.  Weird.  So I map it and send a "GET YOUR OWN INTERNET CONNECTION!!" hit print and wonder which local homeowner has a puzzled "Oh Dammit" look on their face  ;)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »
Thats the thing gunslinger....when I had one of these before...AH2 ran like crap....variance, warps, discoes......

Now it could have been the router....OR....it was the wireless portion...that I do not know.....

Just dont want to go the route of going and getting another......

BTW what is your range on the wireless you are running

I play America's Army alot and I don't see any difference in my connection between running the router and the wirless conection vrs plugging directly into the DSL modem.  

I had a few bad experiences with my previous 802.11B router but this new G one works like a champ.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 06:05:25 PM »
Gunslinger which one did you get and where from?  Price?

I dont know all that much about the wireless realm...LOL....

LePaul.....

Ok.....how did you see all that.....I dont want anyone being able to peer onto my laptop or access my network whatsoever....I know wired is the way to go on that one...but i do want to have the wireless capability.

Also....anyone.....all the wireless a/b/g etc info is daunting.....any easy thoughts on it all???

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 06:41:08 PM »
I play AH (and everything) over a Linksys WRT-54GS.  No problem to set up, and fine pings to AH and other games.  It was around 120 bucks with one PCI card (a year or so ago).   It's linking a desktop on a wired connection (it has 4 ethernet ports), a desktop on a wireless, and a laptop on wireless.  Never had any problems.  

As far as security, just make sure you set up your encryption and it will keep the casual leechers and haxxors out -- it's really as simple as hitting the "turn on encryption" button in the linksys software.  If you want to get more technical you can set up MAC address filtering where it only lets certain network cards access your network.  

In general, leechers will only go for unsecured wireless networks, so as long as yours is WEP encrypted you'll be fine.  It's not worth worrying about beyond that unless you're keeping secret government documents or something.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 06:51:25 PM »
Also....anyone.....all the wireless a/b/g etc info is daunting.....any easy thoughts on it all???

My rule of thumb is wireless should always compliment wired, but not replace it.

802.11a is going to give you the best speed (G is overhyped marketing) and the least interference. The only catch with 802.11a is the range/speed drop off isn't as good as b/g. But full duplex+no interference is a big plus in my books.

If you want something low cost then heres your best bet: http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TEW-510APB.htm

and remember... in the wireless world theres only low end or high end no inbetweens. So brands like Linksys, Dlink, Trendnet, are all pretty much the same performancewise (same chipsets, same boards in some cases, just different looking firmware). Then you jump to top end AP's like Cisco, Foundry, Sonicwall (and prices @ ~ US$500 for just the AP).

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »
To disable wireless is simple.  You can hit up the config while not plugged in.  However, you have to plug in to re-enable it.

But you shouldn't have problems with leechers unless you don't encrypt it.  Even then, it would take a hardcore hacker at least 2 straight days of cyphering off non stop data to be able to hack into your encryption.  Even then, it would take 3-4 weeks for the standard wireless user to send enough information that the encryptions would be cracked.  The solution is to change the Encrypted Password every month or so.

I had the linksys wireless G (I think it was G, might be B, it's been a while) from about 4 or 5 years back.  It has 4 wired slots, and a wireless connection.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Over the weekend, I thought I'd verify that my Linksys wireless router was up to date with the latest bios.  I realized right off that I had left the wireless enabled....ooops.

But just wondering, I hit "network neighborhood" to see if any of my neighbors were leeching.  Sure enough, I see a connection there.  I tap away and nothng is shared, except their printer.  Weird.  So I map it and send a "GET YOUR OWN INTERNET CONNECTION!!" hit print and wonder which local homeowner has a puzzled "Oh Dammit" look on their face  ;)

Ohhh that sounds like fun. Wonder if its illegal to find someone with an unencrypted wireless network and send to their printer "Big brother is watching you." :noid
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 06:10:10 AM »
be sure to use WPA2 to secure it :) If you can, also it;s a good idea to use certificates instead of passwords.
Another thing - hide the SSID of your network (i mean don't broadcast it).
Finally change the DEFAULT configuration (! admin password!) for the wifi router

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 06:27:55 AM »
What Bikekil said.

The WEP encryption is very weak (even 128 bits). Use WPA instead if it is available, be sure to set a non-guessable SSID, hide it, turn on MAC filtering.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 09:01:13 AM »
yup these guys pretty much got it.  I have encryption turned off right now because there's a problem with my wife's computer (today's project) but I am using MAC address filtering.  All of this is really easy to setup, all done from an explorer window.

I'm using the Linksys WRT54G V5 and like I said it is MUCH better than the router that I accidently stepped on while moving.  I think it ran arouned $50, but you can find them on sale for 30-45 and sometimes even get a combo deal that includes the PCMCIA card or PCI wirless card.

The last router I used had a problem with shared folders and printers, it would not see other computers on the network if they where connected differently IE wired and wirless.  This one has no problem at all.  

A plus is I can disable the wirless while my wife is on the computer and get her all frustrated why she's losing connection.  :t