Author Topic: Help with wireless networking?...not for AH gaming  (Read 670 times)

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Help with wireless networking?...not for AH gaming
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »
Gunslinger,

I just picked up the same router and am attempting to set it up.....if I respond back to this thread then VOILA! it will be working....lets keep our fingers crossed!

TG12

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 06:11:21 PM »
Originally posted by bikekil
be sure to use WPA2 to secure it :) If you can, also it;s a good idea to use certificates instead of passwords.
Another thing - hide the SSID of your network (i mean don't broadcast it).
Finally change the DEFAULT configuration (! admin password!) for the wifi router

Meh...

*** WPA2
*** SSID hiding
*** MAC address filtering

I use either IPSEC or SSL tunneling.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 08:31:32 PM »
Ok Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

After 2 hours with Linksys tech support and running up and down 2 flights of stairs each time the tech needed something done....

I HAVE IT!!!!

So far I have this computer up and running and the laptop up and running...now just getting the other computer up and running and hopefully things will be GTG!

Thanks for all the help.....Im sure I will be asking other questions for you all!:D

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 09:13:26 PM »
I was hopeing to catch you to say that make sure you do a restart if your ISP uses PPPoEP (or such) and it wont connect and issue you an IP.

Ironically I'm having problems with my wireless network, my wife's computer wich is in the other room keeps getting knocked off.  I'm pretty sure its the wirless PCI card.  It's an older V2 802.11b version and has ALLWAYS given us problems.  

Hope everything goes well for you.

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 10:11:30 PM »
Well...she is up and running on the battery and on the wireless connection!

It was a royal PITA with Linksys support but got it all worked out!

I am surprised at the speed of my regular wired connections.....I guess the older Linksys router was just slower for some reason...it seems like my connection on the gamerig and our office computer seem to FLY!

I tested the AH running on the desktop while the wireless connection was up and did great for the 15 min I was on.

So far so good.....now it time for fun!

Take care and Gunslinger good luck with the setup.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 06:10:22 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
Meh...

*** WPA2
*** SSID hiding
*** MAC address filtering

I use either IPSEC or SSL tunneling.

I have no experience with those on a wireless access point. I'm sure that your data is encrypted over the air, but does it really prevent a hacker to use your AP (and your IP) to do bad stuff anonymously (well not really as he's using 'your name')?
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2006, 08:03:55 AM »
Guns,

MAC filtering is pretty easy to spoof.  I suggest turning on at least WEP.

I had several problems getting more than one laptop up on that same type of wireless router (linksys 54g v5) and I finally "solved" the connection problems by getting the latest bios.  Before that, the wireless wouldn't even power on with WPA enabled.  YMMV, but try the latest linksys bios and turn that encryption back on.

FWIW, I've been told by very smart people that SSID broadcast off doesn't help anymore, and it can definately cause problems connecting.  My laptop doesn't like connecting to my dlink wireless router when SSID is off so I've at least confirmed that part.  Anyhow, with encryption on you shouldn't worry too much about SSID broadcast and you may have better luck connecting to your own network with SSID broadcast on.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
Originally posted by eagl
Guns,

MAC filtering is pretty easy to spoof.  I suggest turning on at least WEP.

I had several problems getting more than one laptop up on that same type of wireless router (linksys 54g v5) and I finally "solved" the connection problems by getting the latest bios.  Before that, the wireless wouldn't even power on with WPA enabled.  YMMV, but try the latest linksys bios and turn that encryption back on.

FWIW, I've been told by very smart people that SSID broadcast off doesn't help anymore, and it can definately cause problems connecting.  My laptop doesn't like connecting to my dlink wireless router when SSID is off so I've at least confirmed that part.  Anyhow, with encryption on you shouldn't worry too much about SSID broadcast and you may have better luck connecting to your own network with SSID broadcast on.

Yea I have WPA enabled and it seems I have to enable SSID or my wife's nic card won't connect then reconnect.  Like I said it's an older crappy wireless NIC i'm pretty sure most of my problems will go away if I upgrad to a newer 802.11G card.  My older router was pretty crappy too but this new one is pretty good.  I still can't figure out how to use the "automated security setup" basically you are supposed to push a button and then have all the other computers login and it automatically secures the network and sets up the user ends.  I just did it the manual way.

PS I don't use linksys software, I foud it to be really crappy, I stick to windows connection.

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2006, 08:51:02 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
I have no experience with those on a wireless access point. I'm sure that your data is encrypted over the air, but does it really prevent a hacker to use your AP (and your IP) to do bad stuff anonymously (well not really as he's using 'your name')?

Well... yes and no :)
I will put it that way - the better you do the safer you are!
For now, the security standards we mentioned above are safe enough to keep you safe for most cases. That means the won't find your SSID with the scanners, the can find your traffic and try to decode it (but if encryption is strong enought - it can take "ages" to do) and so on...

Now, of course there are guys who could do the trick and use your AP, but... they are too good to waste their time for you :-)

You just should do what you can to keep your stuff secure and still have it's functionality. That's what you can do. What you can't do, is to say - now i'm safe :) You never are.... but you can still  do everything to avoid being a victim

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 08:59:46 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Yea I have WPA enabled and it seems I have to enable SSID or my wife's nic card won't connect then reconnect.  Like I said it's an older crappy wireless NIC i'm pretty sure most of my problems will go away if I upgrad to a newer 802.11G card.  My older router was pretty crappy too but this new one is pretty good.  I still can't figure out how to use the "automated security setup" basically you are supposed to push a button and then have all the other computers login and it automatically secures the network and sets up the user ends.  I just did it the manual way.

PS I don't use linksys software, I foud it to be really crappy, I stick to windows connection.

My advice is, don't believe in "automatic... whatever". I mean, if you want to have it secure and you want to know what's going on, do it yourself.
Of course if you want it to "just work", use the easiest way ;)

With a windows built-in wireless connection manager, you can add your connection (with the hidden SSID) manually and to have a auto conncet (reconnect) for this connection :-)

Kicking-off you mentioned, can be caused by the software. i would:
1) upgrade to the latest drivers for the NIC,
2) apply all M$ patches (there is one for WPA2 for example)
3) make sure you are using the same settings for both NIC/AP.

I had similar problem and i fixed it while a changed the security settings of my network... probably the NIC had a problem with something about WPA ;-)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
Thanks, Bikekil, that is also my point of view. I wouldn't trust a wifi link even with WPA, hidden SSID and MAC filtering to exchange defense secrets but for home use it's good enough.

My question was explicitly about IPSEC and SSL only to protect a wireless AP.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 03:25:13 PM »

If you have no experience using these protocols with regards to wireless you shouldn't make such statements :)

There are only two protocols allowed to come in from the wireless network, SSL and IPSEC, and both have to be terminated on specific IPs. Nothing else can be done, the WLAN is treated as a hostile zone. IE, first I associate with the AP, at that point all I can do is create an IPSEC tunnel to my firewall or an SSL tunnel to an SSL VPN appliance. I can't browse the web or do anything at all. Once the VPN tunnel (either SSL or IPSEC is up) all traffic travels via that.

http://www.sonicwall.com/home/mcs/dws.html

Yeah its overkill for home, but its the field I work in.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 03:29:07 PM by Vulcan »

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 06:50:10 AM »
Why do you call my question a statement, Vulcan? I don't assume to know everything, far from it, and I'm not afraid to ask, so please leave your 'pinko pompous arse' outfit in the locker room.

Btw, what is the cost of such a VPN tunnel solution?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 07:09:39 AM »
Why do you call my question a statement, Vulcan? I don't assume to know everything, far from it, and I'm not afraid to ask, so please leave your 'pinko pompous arse' outfit in the locker room.

Btw, what is the cost of such a VPN tunnel solution?

Sorry I misread does it as doesn't. My bad.

Umm, NZ RRP for a low end unit, with wireless, gateway Antivirus, gateway antispyware, IPS (proper IPS with ~ 4000 signitures), content filtering, and a license for the reporting software is NZ$800, US$480... less the shipping costs and you're probaly seeing it listed at US$400ish?

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 07:14:53 AM »
NP, Vulcan, I'll leave my 'easily offended thin skin' in the locker room as well ;)

Yeah, it's a real overkill for average home usage but it looks really interesting for the office.

Thanks for the tip. :aok