Author Topic: Church and state separation, part Deux  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Church and state separation, part Deux
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2001, 12:43:00 AM »
"At least someone is thinking "outside the box" for a change."

Yeah, wow.... A republican is trying to funnel cash to the churches. That's real 'outside the box' stuff, there.

Never in my lifetime would I have thunk it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2001, 12:44:00 AM »
Oh, yeah...one other thing (well, two).

Nash, you make mention of the abortion funding for overseas clinics.

Where does it say that that is a right and proper use of US taxpayer money? It's sure not Constitutional; it was a legislative or executive branch decision.

Personally, as I've said before, I don't care who gets an abortion. That's between them and their own conscience.

Where did this idea that abortion is a entitlement from the US taxpayer come from?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2001, 12:52:00 AM »
Toad,

Nobody said it was an entitlement. It was just, there...

So Bush comes in and in his first act cuts it. That's all I'm saying.

His first bit of movement is to cut off this program... OF ALL THINGS. Like people were starving in the streets unless (God help us!) Bush saves us from this money pit!

That was never the point, Toad - and you know it. If this happened 2 years into his term, oh well.. But the first thing he did? It's a pretty rad signal. Beyond getting into some incosequencial discussion of the merits of this particular program, the fact that he cut it now is what really matters.

You think Bush was blind to this fact? I sumbit no, he wasn't. It was a message. An extremely dumb one.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2001, 01:07:00 AM »
Nash, maybe it's more than just "funneling cash to churches"? Just maybe? Maybe he's trying to actually DO something GOOD for people that need it? Isn't helping those in need sort of the stock in trade of religion in general? Shouldn't they know how to do that by now? Maybe he's just going where the expertise is?

Just maybe?

Jeez, you're an awful cynic. Worse than me, even and that's bad.  

It's not going to happen anyway, so relax. Your hair is going to get all knotted up.

Secondly, so all you're really cranked about is the timing of the announcement on abortion funding?

You don't like the signal he's sending this early in the administration? You're entitled to that view.

I hold an opposing view. I'm glad he did it. Maybe he's announcing he IS different from the <cough> gentleman that recently vacated the "cigar room" on Pennsylvania avenue.

Who's right? I dunno. Who cares?

This is an issue that will offend some and encourage others. Generally, every single decision any President makes does that.

As I once told an anti-Bill Czech lawyer in Prague "The US will survive Bill Clinton."

We'll survive 4 years of Bush II as well. The end is NOT near. No need to repent just yet. I guarantee it.  

After every election it's always the same wailing and knashing of teeth. It generally lasts until the next one.

Now I'm going to bed.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2001, 01:46:00 AM »
Holy toejam LOL

You sound just like I did - oh, about 2 months ago. And I'm starting to sound like <cough> YOU (and the rest of this little gang). I had no idea it would be this funny.

"Maybe he's trying to actually DO something GOOD for people that need it?"

LOL. (not by itself, mind you, but in context that was freaking COMEDIC).

My GOD this is precious. Maybe these 4 years aren't gonna be such a drag afterall  

BMF

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2001, 03:11:00 AM »
Maybe if 'W' enforces the International Genocide Treaty we won't have so many liberals running around?  

------------------
Bare*Metal*Finish

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
As BMF gently pointed out  , the abortion issue had to be seen more as religious stuff than political.

And Toad, Mr. president swear on a Christian bible, the God in your money is the Christian one (don't be hypocrite!), as the bible in tribunals...

Guess which religion (and the variations of it) will have the funds?

This is not a step back to the official religion?

And if you read from where I come, I know what I'm saying  

As for the excuses used for these steps, have you our same saying:
"the pavement of hell is made of good intentions" ??

Not simple, not easy, never trust easy things when politics are at work  

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
Do you have a mild drinking and dope smoking problem ? Like to down few every few days or smoke couple ?
Well, welcome to the church of satan. In anticiaption of federal funds rolling in, we will be starting a social help program for people like you.
We believe in curing by "slowely" decreasing the dosage, over LONG periods of time. Your drink will be smalled by 0.00001 ml everytime you come in. You won't even notice for the most part, but we are helping you !!

Now, in order to get in, you have to sign over your undying soul to our master, The Satan.. no big deal really

Thanks W  

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2001, 07:16:00 AM »
Folks calm down.

I've been running a children's community center for the last three years, "Beelzebub's Battered Boys".

We qualify as "faith based" and quite frankly I'm looking forwards to some much needed grant money.  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
I just want to see one picture of anyone dangling a crust of bread over a homeless person with the caption "What was today's scripture verse?".  

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
Sorry guys, just started another topic on this before reading this one.. being StSanta's thread and all  

But as I stated, get over your freaking religious paranoia will ya! If a church, half way house whatever can better utilize the money than some fat arse over staffed government department and can accomplish the goal of helping the poor and hungry more cost effectively .. more power to them. If it means less taxes out of my pocket with better use of all tax money, smaller gov ... I'm all for it.

You guys are paranoid of the wrong things...

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
God bless ya eagle, YOUR God, I mean.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »

Originally posted by Nash:
Holy toejam LOL

You sound just like I did - oh, about 2 months ago. And I'm starting to sound like <cough> YOU (and the rest of this little gang). I had no idea it would be this funny.

"Maybe he's trying to actually DO something GOOD for people that need it?"

LOL. (not by itself, mind you, but in context that was freaking COMEDIC).

My GOD this is precious. Maybe these 4 years aren't gonna be such a drag afterall  

Fella's....if ever there were such a thing as an apocolypic message sent in advance that the world as we know it is coming to an end..this is it!

(J/K Nash!)

funked

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
If two volunteer or charity groups are doing exactly the same work, and one group has in common a faith in God, they should both be treated exactly the same by the government.

If two volunteers do exactly the same work, and one chooses to witness while doing the work, his speech is protected by the constitution.

The person he is talking to also has the right to tell him to shut the @#$% up.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 01-30-2001).]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Naso,

Be afraid...Be VERY afraid!

"When the Senate first convened in New York City on April 6, 1789, one of its first orders of business was to appoint a committee to recommend a candidate for chaplain. On April 25, the Senate elected the Right Reverend Samuel Provoost, Episcopal Bishop of New York, as its first chaplain. Since that time, the Senate has been served by chaplains of various religious denominations, including Episcopalians (19), Methodists (17), Presbyterians (14), Baptists (6), Unitarians (2), Congregationalists (1), Lutherans (1), and Roman Catholic (1). The Senate has also appointed guest chaplains representative of all the world's major religious faiths.In addition to opening the Senate each day in prayer,"

WAIT! It gets WORSE!!

in the 210-year history of the House, all 58 chaplains have been Protestants; and only one of the Senate's 61 chaplains has been Catholic.

WAIT! It's even WORSE than THAT!

THE US GOVERNMENT actually PAYS these Chaplains a salary!

Noooooooooooooo!  Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

It's TOO LATE!

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM MMED!

This RELIGION business HAS ALREADY TAKEN OVER THE HOUSE AND SENATE!

Santa! I think they have said "JESUS" in the House and Senate! HELP! Send NIFUR!!!!

You guys crack me up!

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-30-2001).]