Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 548 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Laptops
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:42:19 PM »
My high speed gaming computer has been on the fritz for some time. I was recently given a laptop and have since installed AH on it and played a few hours.

Aside from most laptops not being anywhere near the gaming machine my Alienware computer is, one disadvantage I hadn't thought of before actually using the laptop is the keyboard layout. For one thing, no keypad. With no keypad I have limited visibility from the cockpit.

I've set up High Left, Up and High right using some extra buttons on my joystick so I can look there. The hat allows Left and Right, but I can't look half right or left forward and such, which the keypad normally allows.

Anybody have any experience using laptops in the game to make up for some of the keyboard deficincies?

BTW; I'm now xtIger in the game, rather than xtyger.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
Laptops
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:48:49 PM »
You can assign any keys you're not using to views, but it sounds to me like time to buy a joystick with an 8-way hat or at least connect a standard keyboard to the laptop..
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Hmm...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:09:27 PM »
I didn't know you could hook up a standard keyboard to a laptop. Thanx.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Laptops
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:10:25 PM »
You'd be better served getting a stick with an 8-way hat. I recommend thrustmaster afterburner... good stick/throttle combo, with enough buttons that I never touch my keyboard in-flight. Well, except for autoclimb/level... only costs $50 or so. Been usin mine since 2002.
Army of Muppets

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Laptops
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »
Thanx, wetrat. I'll check it out.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Laptops
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:05:51 PM »
I've been using an e-Machine laptop (Athlon 64 chipset + Radeon Mobility 9600 vid card) for 2 1/2  years. I port a wireless keyboard/mouse via USB and do the same with a Hyundai 19" flat panel. I get mid-70's frame rate and the e-Machine "everyone" said would be a bookend in 6 months has out-performed every Dell I've owned

Holler back if you need further advice.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Laptops
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 12:38:12 AM »
ok here is what i do with my laptop is i got a 3d x Pro stick set WASD for normal views and the lil stub for the other directions and since it is a rotator stick i have rudder and Key 3 and 4 for elevators also anyone know why the clouds in my game are like just lines of blobs that take up the entire screen since it is like black dots but over my entire screen and not a cloud.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Laptops
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »
I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1705.  I have been using laptops to play when I am on the road and this one performs spectacularly.  I bring my ensemble of Ms FF joystick, CH pro throttle and rudders, and my TrackIR.  Game is 100% playable with outstanding graphics and frame rates.

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
Laptops
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:04:57 PM »
You can also buy a USB numeric keypad.

works great, you can put it anywhere on the desk (near your stick).

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Cool
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Callisto.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Laptops
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 04:42:44 PM »
Originally posted by Max
I've been using an e-Machine laptop (Athlon 64 chipset + Radeon Mobility 9600 vid card) for 2 1/2  years. I port a wireless keyboard/mouse via USB and do the same with a Hyundai 19" flat panel. I get mid-70's frame rate and the e-Machine "everyone" said would be a bookend in 6 months has out-performed every Dell I've owned

amd64's last a long time when it comes to gaming... I'm still running the 9700pro I ran on my old athlon XP machine w/ my amd64, and it runs any new game nicely.
Army of Muppets

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
Laptops
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »
Originally posted by Max

Max you are so right about that machine. Ive had the gateway version of that computer for 1.5 years and I love it. Its faster than most desktops ive used and plays games great. Awesome design. I play AH on a desktop, but sometimes if im staying with family away from home, I use it to play and I have no problems. Best money I have ever spent on a computer.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Laptops
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »
I travel a good bit and would love to play on the road, but don't want to carry around a big clunky joystick.  Any ideas?

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
Laptops
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
I travel a good bit and would love to play on the road, but don't want to carry around a big clunky joystick.  Any ideas?

Wherever you are, buy the stick, then return it before ya go back. :)

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Laptops
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 04:16:57 PM »
NICE.