Author Topic: What's Next?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 03:06:12 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
You know whats funny...since when dooes anything kids have to say (protests and such) matter?

Banning patriotism is wrong though.

If kids are using it as an excuse to get out of class it is wrong.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
What's Next?
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 03:22:54 PM »
High Schoolers should be concerned with bringing pen and paper to class, not which flag they wish to bring.  As long as the US flag is flying outside the school and in the classroom, students should not be trying to trump or taunt each other by bringing in their own flags.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 03:36:31 PM »
I was stopped on the road last week by one of those student protests.

But that is beside the point.

If a student waves the flag in someone's face, the waver needs to be punished. If he wags his finger the same should happen. But we sure as hell don't have everyone's fingers removed.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 03:40:02 PM »
This is america, we fly the AMERICAN flag. If mexicans want to protest against flying the US flag on US soil and want to fly their own flag only, they need to get their greasy butts back to mexico and out of the USA
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 04:12:55 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
I was stopped on the road last week by one of those student protests.

But that is beside the point.

If a student waves the flag in someone's face, the waver needs to be punished. If he wags his finger the same should happen. But we sure as hell don't have everyone's fingers removed.

no but the flags should be.  If all students brought the US flag to every class to protest they would become a distraction right?  So remove the flag waving from class and keep on the learning.

Seriously if a pointed lecture about the war of 1812 got interupted by patriotism wouldn't you rather that actual history got taught over nationalism?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 04:15:37 PM »
You're still missing the point. The distraction needs to end... not the flags. You need to attack the problem specifically.

My goodness Guns you for gun control too?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 05:39:42 PM »
kid walks into class waving a mexican flag. he's a distraction. suspend his ass. time and a place for everything, you don't disrupt class; period.

kid walks into a class waving an american flag. he's a distraction. suspend his ass. time and a place for everything, you don't disrupt class; period.

You don't ban flags. you ban the lil twerps that are acting out.

simple. really.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 07:04:53 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
You're still missing the point. The distraction needs to end... not the flags. You need to attack the problem specifically.

My goodness Guns you for gun control too?

The distraction is the flag waving....or the behavior that goes along with it.  Good God I'm getting called a liberal by MT.....what is this world coming too.

I'm a group punishment type person.  If the a group of people want to make flag waving into a bad thing then they do it outside of school, that's all there is too it.  

I've served my country proudly for 10 years now and I don't think anyone can say I'm not a patriot so I'm not worried about that.  I'm all for flag waving but I cringe when somone uses the patriot thing as an insult as in "you are against flag waving, that's un-American"  There is no requirment in America that you be a patriot.  Heck there's no requirment in public schools that you be an American either.  I just think this principle is right here.  If the flag waiving on both sides has become a distraction it's time to go, even if it is a small percentage of students doing it.

Calmer heads need to prevail but if the students want to debate the issue they need to do it without turning nationalism into a negativity.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 07:59:31 PM »
Pinko

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
but if the students want to debate the issue

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRT

High School Classrooms are NOT 'democracies'. Any more than your platoon is a Democracy. The little bellybutton bites can demonstrate down at city hall after school hours. In class the little cretins should be workin the syllabus.

Period.

Now, take out a half a sheet a paper. There's gonna be a Quiz.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
What's Next?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 09:49:45 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRT

High School Classrooms are NOT 'democracies'. Any more than your platoon is a Democracy. The little bellybutton bites can demonstrate down at city hall after school hours. In class the little cretins should be workin the syllabus.

Period.

Now, take out a half a sheet a paper. There's gonna be a Quiz.

There's a big difference between debate and demonstration.  One requires intelect and good argument skills the other just require a bunch of sheep to rally around a cause that used to be small and insignificant until somone small and insignificant got tired of losing the debate.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
What's Next?
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
guns... I think you may have the wrong take on group punishment and it is caused by your military background.... Can you imagine if the teachers were allowed to make everyone do a hundred laps with a rifle held over their head because someone brought in a mexican flag?

Would the military ban weapons if someone was a distraction or missued em?

the model does not work as you can see.

It doesn't work because the military is not the U.S. it is it's own little world with a captive audience that can be treated much more harshly than it's civilian peers (especially civilian children).

MT is pointing out that the solution to a problem is not a ban.   Gun bans are a solution that is exactly the same as what you are advocating.

lazs