Author Topic: Curious question about hits damage  (Read 419 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Curious question about hits damage
« on: April 06, 2006, 10:57:48 PM »
Couple nights ago I was flying in the MA, in the pretty furious furball over A74 on Trinity. During the fight I was coming over the top of a loop at pretty good airspeed. Suddenly I took a hit which caused NO damage (CTRL-D'ed and everything was Green) HOWEVER my controls INSTANTLY locked up and my plane was no longer continuing through its loop. I neutralized controls and started to recover, but that hiccup was just enough for someone to come in and finish me off.

What the frell happened here? My plane sustained NO actual damage from the hit, and responded the moment I neutralized the stick and then resumed pressure. But why did my plane freeze in the FIRST place? Is that SUPPOSED to happen? If so then why would a negligible hit that caused no damage to ANYTHING lock the controls?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:42:59 PM »
Was it a screen freeze? Or just your plane? I ask because sometimes if your sound card is fully hardware accelerated a sound can cause a system burp for some reason. If it was just your plane, did you stall maybe? Or your stick spiked?

Zazen
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:58:38 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:55:50 AM »
Nothing in the damage/hit system would do what you describe. Can you describe furthar exactly what you saw?

HiTech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 09:59:03 AM »
It wasn't a screen/system hiccup. I was coming over the top of the loop, maybe ~200-250mph IAS when I took a hit. The controls literally locked up on me, freezing my plane at the top of the maneuver. I know it wasn't the system because I was still moving forward, but the plane refused to maneuver. When I released the stick and resumed pressure again she finally started to respond (tho not in time to avoid the kill shot). This was in an F4U-1.

This wasn't the last time I saw this. A couple days later I was in a high-speed dive in an FM-2, I was pulling out and realizing the nose wasn't coming up QUIET fast enough and I was probably going to smack my belly into the ground. I took a(n undamaging) hit from field ack and the nose jerked up to roughly level flight, however once again I was getting no response from the controls (I was still at full back-stick at this time) until I momentarily backed off stick pressure.

Wish I'd have gotten these incidents on film, tho both were so brief I don't know if there would have been anything to see. Both times I CTRL-Ded because I thought I might have lost my elevators from the hit, which is how I know there was no actual damage.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 10:25:29 AM »
Did you get a "don't move your controls so quickly" message.  Rapid joystick wiggle will generate this and freeze your controls.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:30:31 AM »
Not sure if this will help or not Saxman, but my old MS Sidewider started to do that before it failed.

The pots were starting to wear and sometimes would simply skip and lose all control.  A quick smack the the base as I jiggled and she'd go back to working.  After a month of intermittent stalls like that, never really knowing when it would happen, I replaced it.

No idea if that's what you are experiencing, but I've seen similar to what you've described.

A couple days later I was in a high-speed dive in an FM-2, I was pulling out and realizing the nose wasn't coming up QUIET fast enough and I was probably going to smack my belly into the ground

FM2s compress easily, no idea of your flight experience, so mentioning it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 10:33:34 AM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 12:10:40 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Nothing in the damage/hit system would do what you describe. Can you describe furthar exactly what you saw?

HiTech

I would not wory about it HT.  Most likely his plane got scared and froze still for a second :rofl :O
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »
He's describing both noise, and sudden loss of controls with no damage.

It almost sounds like he's stalling, and hearing the buffet sound. I'd watch the stick closely. Presuming he's not just flying on the edge of notflying, I'd say something in the stick is starting to fail, short in the cord, brush or film on a pot worn, etc.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 01:00:06 PM »
Wasn't buffeting, as there was no screen shake and in both cases I only heard a single "ping" right as the controls locked. Didn't get a warning message about the stick, either. Again in both cases I was giving constant pressure so the only change in deflection was when I neutralized the stick and pulled back again to recover.

It's a pretty new stick, too, just got it in November and I've had no other problems. The fact that both of these incidents were preceeded by a hit is a bit suspicious (the fact that the hit on the FM-2 forced the nose UP to level flight in the process was even more unusual).

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »
Hmmm....twice last night while traverseing an Osti turrent it froze for like a second. Never had it happen before.

Just FYI

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 09:35:34 PM »
No expert here but my money is on the sound card or what ever controls your sound.  Accelerator gizmo doodaa.  Try backing it off 1 notch

When on my first sortie I get an occational stick freeze.  A combination of things kicks it off.  Lots of sound and lots of HAT / view movement. If somone speaks on Vox at this moments it's compounder further.  

When my system has fully woken up to whats expected it's as good as gold except if i'm real fast and another plane passes by fast I don't hear his engine tone and I can't track him for a split second.  As though the hat is slow to catch up.  The engine tone I hear goes gaaazzzzinnnggg...wierd

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 10:00:46 PM »
Neither incident was on my first sortie of the night (one was one of my LAST of the night, in fact). Also my stick is USB, not gameport.

Offline asilvia

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 10:43:14 PM »
You would happen to have auto pilot position near a veiw or another frequently used button? I noticed recently that when I zoom or pull up map I go into auto pilot. I have an X45 and use that little mouse button for 4 commands.
When it happens, I freeze up till I let go of the stick and re-apply pressure.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 11:47:41 PM »
Nope, don't even have autopilot mapped to the stick or throttle.