Author Topic: wwiii book  (Read 216 times)

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
wwiii book
« on: April 16, 2006, 01:15:30 AM »
hey,
im trying to remember a book i read long ago and maybe you guys could help. its based around the miami section of florida and it follows a man through a fictional nuclear war between the us and soviets, and then for years after and how society learns to cope. i wish i could remember the title!

anyone?
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
wwiii book
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »
:huh :confused:

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
wwiii book
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 06:22:23 AM »
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, written 1970.

Remeber that I enjoyed in when read it long ago....found the title after a little internet sleuthing.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
wwiii book
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:39:42 AM »
That was a great book..actually took place in Central Florida....It was required reading in 8th grade. Probrably because it took place in Florida (where I went to school)
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
wwiii book
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
We had to read it too up here in Buffalo NY.

We got the "readers digest" version in class. I liked it so much that later I bought the book and read the whole thing.

Great story.

If you'd rather see a movie in the same vein..

The Day After
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
wwiii book
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 12:20:45 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, written 1970.

Remeber that I enjoyed in when read it long ago....found the title after a little internet sleuthing.

I remember reading a book like that, but it was based maybe in the 90's? I cant think of the name. I remember that in part of the book, california became sort of a sealed off state. I cant even remember where the book is at, but I have it somewhere
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
wwiii book
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »
Meatwad,

I think the book you are thinking of is "Warday" by Whitley Streiber and James Kunetka.
Still have it somewhere......
Yes, in that book, after the nuclear exchange, America and the Soviet Union cease to exist as superpowers, and the other countries step in and "help out" but clearly do not want either the USA or USSR to ever fully recover........and the nation's capital is moved to California, which becomes a closed, or police state.
Interesting reading........Mexico takes back large areas of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California........

Course I may be wrong about the book you are referring to.  Back when that book was written, there were scores of fiction novels being written along the same lines of thought.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
wwiii book
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 01:02:51 PM »
Yeah thats the one I was thinking of. Was there ever a movie made out of that? If not, that would be a great movie to watch IF it followed the book page by page.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
wwiii book
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 02:21:04 PM »
Nope, no movie made of it yet, or ever I would bet, especially with the immigration tensions running rampant nowadays.
But it would be a good movie, IF and only if they followed the story line of the book to a "T".........Hollywood has a habit of screwing up good stories, "Clear And Present Danger" and "The Sum Of All Fears" being two that come to mind.
I shudder to think what "Without Remorse" would be like if Hollywood made a movie of it.
They've never cast the role of "Mr. Clark" right IMHO..........Tom Berringer maybe, but Willem Defoe?  What the heck were they thinking?  Have they ever read the books?  :mad:

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
wwiii book
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 02:35:20 PM »
I read a book when I was in elementary school about a boy who lived in a valley when there was a nuclear war.  I don't really remember to much about it, I remember I thought it was a cool story though.