Author Topic: the Brewster  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 06:06:36 AM »
Compare FM2 to Brewster? U mean F4F should be used? Maybe it is F4F. I'm not that sure which we have there...

-C+

edit: To KD303: "but this game is not all about MA after all."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 06:09:05 AM by Charge »
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
the Brewster
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 07:34:23 AM »
Being picky, I feel compelled to post some little correction...

Frank.

I must agree, the kills were probably Ju-52's...

The war was between Finland and Russia, the Germans were actually allied with the finnish... and, yes, probably they killed a lot of bigger and less combat capable planes, but they do shot down even a lot of fighters.... and they had pilot with impressive scores, like Cpt. Hans "Hasse" Wind, 75 victories on a Brewster.... I suggest you take a look at this site, virtualpilots.fi, amongst the other things you will find Wind' lectures on fighter combat, really interesting reading, I could use it in IL2 FB, flying as a finnish pilot...

Krusty

No, FinRus wasn't BOB. It was later, in '41/42 I believe. They had 109Fs at the time I think.

The "Continuation war" as the finnish call it, was fought between 1941 and 1944, and, AFAIK, the FAF never had the 'Fs, only Gustavs (but I may be wrong on this one).

For TOD my best bets, on plane availability and how much work it would take: [...]

Africa '42/'43 (we have C202/205, we'd need a few more italian birds) -- include tanks in this?

If you want to include the 205, you have to play even the invasion of Sicily in July 1943, since the Veltro first saw action during those days and never was in combat in Africa.... and yes, we definitely need more italian planes! :D

Charge

We have used the FM2 as a replacement for Brewy in CT...

Frank is right, the FM2 is a later version of the Wildcat, based on the XF4F-8, with lighter airframe and more powerful engine; the Grumman project was developed and produced by General motors and first entered service in late 1943, IIRC. So, it's not a good choice for a Brewster replacement... :p

Finally, if I can put my own 2 cent in this thread, I'd like to see the Brewster in AH (along with a lot of other planes! :D)

EDIT: Corrected the virtual pilots link, to make it lead to english page
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 08:45:42 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »
Originally posted by Gianlupo
and they had pilot with impressive scores, like Cpt. Hans "Hasse" Wind, 75 victories on a Brewster....
Being picky, I feel compelled to post a correction. :)
39 of Hans Wind's victories were in the Brewster, the last 36 were in Messerschmitt 109G-2's and G-6's. (From May 27th 1944 to June 28th 1944, when he was injured).
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
the Brewster
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 08:56:30 AM »
:lol Thanks for the correction Panzzer, I misinterpreted what I read in Virtual pilots, I just assumed that all of his victories were achieved on a Brewster :p

Was I correct about '109? :)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 09:16:55 AM »
Yes, the Finnish Air Force never had any 109F's, you were right about that. There were some German squadrons (JG 5, at least) operating in northern Finland, though - they had Emils and Friedrichs.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
the Brewster
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005, 09:36:49 AM »
Ah, thanks for the confirmation and the new info! ;) I didn't know of German units in northern Finland.

It would be good if at virtualpilots they add a page in english with a general overview of the continuation war, I couldn't find any and I had to make a search on the net to know more about it.

Offline wasq

• Silver Member
      • Photos
the Brewster
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »
Originally posted by frank3
I must agree, the kills were probably Ju-52's, quite an easy kill, even for the Brewster (it's armament is quite good though)
It seems that I must re-post this link where you can use your own eyes to see that the kills were indeed against planes that are as capable fighters as the Ju-52. The list includes quite a many Spitfires, Hurricanes and La-5s.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
the Brewster
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005, 11:42:07 AM »
20.10.42 LeLv 24 lentomestari Juutilainen, Eino Ilmari BW-364 1.00 He-111 33.17 29.50 Okay

What heppened there? Why did he shoot down a He-111?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2005, 12:06:15 PM »
The He-111 he shot down was captured by Russians. From Finnish Fighter Aces:

Juutilainen: The He-111 incident happened on October 20, 1942. I was chasing a Pe-2 into a cloud over the Gulf of Finland when I suddenly came up behind a Heinkel. Of course, at first I thought it was a German plane, and I decided to let him be, but when the rear gunner began to fire at me, I decided to shoot back. It was then that I noticed there were no national emblems anywhere on the plane. After shooting the rear gunner I set both of its engines on fire. Three men bailed out of the plane's belly, but they all died in the cold water of the Gulf of Finland.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
the Brewster
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 01:04:05 PM »
Wow:O Were the russians useing it to bomb or just test flying it?
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
I don't know, haven't heard/read of many captured German planes used by the Soviet Union. I'll try to find some more info on that, if I can. My first guess would be testing, or maybe a reconnaissance flight...

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 07:44:24 PM »

I'm referring to the earlier thread on the Brewster (Aircraft & Vehicles), it's been active recently...

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
the Brewster
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2006, 12:29:44 AM »
Bring the Polikarpov I-17!

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
the Brewster
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2006, 04:00:20 AM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
Yes, why not???
It's American, after all. ;)

WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO?!?!?!

GET IT IN AH NOW

AEMERICKA PLEANEZ!!!!!1! :rofl :rofl :furious :mad: :furious :mad: :mad: :furious
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline GlacierGirl

• Copper Member
      • http://www.gruppeoutlaws.50megs.com
the Brewster
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2006, 09:29:35 AM »
weird looking plane.....I like it.