Author Topic: 527th FS tail stripe color??  (Read 361 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
527th FS tail stripe color??
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:35:50 PM »
Hrm... I spent all this time creating red stripes for my P47 skin, but now I'm not sure if I need white ones between them!

A couple of decal sheets seem to have white stripes between the red on 527th P47s (The Jawbone and Rabbit being two key ones). I have a photo that seems to be of a later P47 version with different nose art but the same tail stripes, and *it* seems to be bare metal. I have a 3-way color view in a book, but it's not possible if the white is supposed to be metal or "white" (I mean, it looks like the rest of the fuselage, to me!).

Does anybody have an reference on 527 FS/86 FG tail markings? Preferably in color? It's the last thing to finish and submit my skin.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
The photo.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:51:20 PM »
No white between.  Images show the red stripes covering part of the serial number which would indicate that it was over the natural metal.  If they'd done white they'd have hardly have replicated the serial number then the red stripes

And example below.  Your color image is restored warbirds btw.  Photo taken in the 70s if memory serves.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 01:31:31 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Your color image is restored warbirds btw.  Photo taken in the 70s if memory serves

I did not know that... Good to know!

Good catch on the serial numbers. I wasn't sure which way to go on that. Many thanks.