Author Topic: 38 Pilot Asks,how Do U Get Spit Off Tail?  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
38 Pilot Asks,how Do U Get Spit Off Tail?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Im with Bozon on this. 95% its the pilot.

Given roughly equal pilots, the plane and how familiar each pilot is with his ride comes into play.

I'm with Kweassa.. its the plane.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 11:56:03 AM »
lol, kweassa, I ran into you a few times about 2 weeks ago in the MA, I wasn't too impressed with your flying.  You died twice, and got me once when 3 other guys were dogpiling me.

I don't think your up to par to give any advice on 38, period. ;)

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »
I've flown the P38 once.

Great plane.

LEDPIG, if ya need a sparring partner in the DA, let me know, I can try to help ya.

Same offer goes to you Lazerr.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:13:17 PM by Kermit de frog »
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
You're not the only one to see Spits do some ludicrous things. A couple months back I was in a diving merge against a Spit 16 at about 400+ mph in an F4U, and I pull up into a zoom climb to dodge the HO and stay above him. I look back to pick him up for my reversal and the guy is sitting d600 off my six, climbing up and GAINING on me. And I'm STILL going around 350-400. What the farking hell?!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
Basically, Ledpig, like others said, you've just got to go out there and take your lumps.  Push yourself to get the most out of that plane you can.  You're going to die trying this, more often then not, probably for your entire online career.  But, you will get better, stay alive longer, take more of em down with you, and have more fun.

The only real chance you have, assuming you're on the deck and pilot skills are equal, is some sort of scissors combo to try and make him overshoot.  But really, with the hispanos on that Spitty, and the huge target of the 38, it's going to take a TON of practice to be able to avoid his shots at each cross.  And the 38 isn't exactly the best at scissors, either.  There's alot going against you, really.  But without practice, everything will be.

Basically to shake a guy on your six with a scissors (in any plane, really) you need to possess two things:

* Better instincts so you can dodge his shots; and

* Better control at looooooow speeds

But it'll take forever to develop these skills in the MA.  Take Schatzi up on her offer and spend some time in the TA or DA instead.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 12:22:03 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
You're not the only one to see Spits do some ludicrous things. A couple months back I was in a diving merge against a Spit 16 at about 400+ mph in an F4U, and I pull up into a zoom climb to dodge the HO and stay above him. I look back to pick him up for my reversal and the guy is sitting d600 off my six, climbing up and GAINING on me. And I'm STILL going around 350-400. What the farking hell?!

It was a Spit 16  ... that explains part of it ... it climbs like a scaled monkey, especially when it has some E too.

The other part ... If it was a good Spit pilot (or just a good pilot), you probably pulled too soon enabling the Spit to easily follow your zoom ... I see it all the time and I am sure they are saying ... WTF.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:24:31 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »
Anytime a P-38 gets a good Spitty stick on their 6 ... 99.9% of the time its all over for the P-38. Object is to not let the Spitty get on your 6.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 12:39:45 PM »
lol, kweassa, I ran into you a few times about 2 weeks ago in the MA, I wasn't too impressed with your flying. You died twice, and got me once when 3 other guys were dogpiling me.

I don't think your up to par to give any advice on 38, period.

Who says I'm giving an advice on the P-38s?

I'm just stating the obvious, which the "vets" so often pretend to not notice. Basically the "ACM" bit is bullshi*. Or rather, every emphasis on individual fighting and combat maneuvering simply has a hidden pretense requiring the pilot behind you to be much inferior than yourself. People just love to emphasize the "ACM" bit and leave the "inferior pilot" bit out, as if it doesn't exist.

Put a Drex or a Leviathan in a 190 with a Spitfire piloted by Slapshot behind it at 600 yards. The odds are, the moment the 190 even thinks of doing a reversal or any "ACM" the Spit's gonna close up the distance and shoot it down flat out. Put Fester's P-38 in front of Leviathan's Spitfire at 600 yards, and the moment the P-38 tries anything other than slam throttle to the max and disengage, it's gonna be shot down.

Or if you'd prefer,

put Lazer's P-38 in front of Kweassa's Spit and Lazer might be able to pull some wild shi* off and manage a fantastic reversal. However, get any of the better Spit pilots in it and then I'd bet on the Spit everytime, and actually win money.

In other words, any "ACM" against a more maneuverable enemy already latched behind you is basically semi-suicidal. The chest-thumpers of the MA make it sound as if the outcome is governed by one's own skill - but in truth, the outcome is always governed by the other guy's skill. Simply put, the MA vets horde scores by flying against average, and pathetic grade of pilots like myself. It's against guys like us that "ACM" actually works.

In the rare occasions where a vet meets another vet, the moment one vet claims the other's rear end the fight is over. No amount of "ACM" can save him. It just doesn't work.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
The chest-thumpers of the MA make it sound as if the outcome is governed by one's own skill - but in truth, the outcome is always governed by the other guy's skill.

as always, succinctly stated K.  & also, what slap said too.  

hap

p.s. one of the "aims" i've had in the past  is to engage in such a manner that my 6 remains clear.  this is probably a bad analogy but it sprung to mind.  years ago i played a bit of pool.  very good players are a joy to watch . . . they sink their object ball and get shape on thier next shot.  with my limited skill/talent, taking runs on cons after a strat run is completed while maintining a clear 6 is part of the challenge and fun.  

i suppose the very good pilots experience something similar in a very busy enviroment.  that is, they achieve objectives while maintaining or working towards "advantage."  then of course, (i've been shot down by this time of course), when miscalculations occur a new level of "satisfaction" occurs when against the odds, that is ensconsed disadvantageously they emerge victorious.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »
No I think its just hilarious you state most 38 pilots fly in the stratosphere, when really each time you engaged you had the alt.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 01:31:47 PM »
Ive been thinking of learning the 38. But from what Ive seen its mainly a roper and for me thats 1 notch away from BnZ excitement. I hate being in a plane and  meeting a better turning  plane and knowing that if hes any good, I cant beat him in the turns. My planes usually are FM2, F4u, not some much p40e now, and once in awhile I 'll take a tempest out when I feel like just poppin a few and rtb. They really suit how I fly.

Which is normally low and slow, and looking for a turnfight. I also like fighting planes that rely on ropes and bnz, and trying to make them get impatient and over commit. I don't always get em but when I do it makes me feel good. I think you just have to have a "screw it" attitude about flyin and dyin.

~AoM~

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 01:35:19 PM »

Ask your Ghey Dates to quit faking orgasms?

:huh

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!:rofl
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline LEDPIG

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »
Originally posted by Hap
as always, succinctly stated K.  & also, what slap said too.  

hap

p.s. one of the "aims" i've had in the past  is to engage in such a manner that my 6 remains clear.  this is probably a bad analogy but it sprung to mind.  years ago i played a bit of pool.  very good players are a joy to watch . . . they sink their object ball and get shape on thier next shot.  with my limited skill/talent, taking runs on cons after a strat run is completed while maintining a clear 6 is part of the challenge and fun.  

i suppose the very good pilots experience something similar in a very busy enviroment.  that is, they achieve objectives while maintaining or working towards "advantage."  then of course, (i've been shot down by this time of course), when miscalculations occur a new level of "satisfaction" occurs when against the odds, that is ensconsed disadvantageously they emerge victorious.

Hap i agree with you on this i try to engage in a way to keep my six clear, i think most ww2 pilots engaged in a way that offered the least danger to them but the greatest chance of success for their shot. I to have marveled at good pool players and watched how they balance their skill while playing the risks and using it to their advantage it's part of the game to me. Good dogfighting to me is like a game of chess with each player making moves and another pilot using his wits and skill to win. Since i don't posses great turn fighting skill in the 38 i play to what i can do. But when i'm in a spit i dogfight all day either way is fun. I like to try and use actual ww2 fighting tactics in the game to get a feel for what really happened, consequently i'm glad i had eyesight problems that stop me being a pilot, i probably would have been in a body bag real quick.
S.A.P.P. member (armed and lubricated)

Providing bait for other SAPP pilots since 2005

Formerly Leadpig...Proud to be one of the PNG'd...
Skuzzyfied!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac

and you call me sick :eek: :rofl :lol
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.