Author Topic: Congress readies new digital copyright bill  (Read 792 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Congress readies new digital copyright bill
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »
What I am against is the fact they are using this ploy to allow an easy path for wire-tapping.

With this, the President will not have to take heat for illegally tapping into whoever they want to tap into.  All they have to do is *suspect* someone is violating copyright law, and any notion you have about privacy is lost.

That is all this law is about.  If they were really all that hot to protect copyright information, they would enforce the laws on the books right now.  This administration will not get out of office fast enough for me.

If you really think this is about copyright law, then you have not been paying attention to what has transpired in the last year or so.

I have not altered my stance on the theft of copyrighted works.  It's wrong, it's illegal, and no amount of rationalization will make it right.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:06:12 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 08:05:13 PM »
Still don't see a problem. The wiretapping part does not say "illegal" wiretapping will be done. Just like any criminal investigation, I'd take it that they would have to get a warrant to tap someone.

Nothing really new about that, unless I've missed something.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »
Bush does not think a warrant is needed for wire-tapping.  He has authorized it with absolute impunity.  A precedent has been set, and it will continue.  This is just another method to let go unabated and grant more excuses for our government officials to intrude on our privacy.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mr Big

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 10:34:29 PM »
Bush authorized wire-tapping with impunity? Don't think so.

Also, it's a proposed law that you are worried about. The government has always been able to get warrants to wiretap Americans with a warrant while investigating a crime. Does this proposed law state that wire-tapping will be done without a warrant, just for the hell of it?

You might know more than I do about the proposed law, but my gut tells me you are being a little worked up over nothing.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 11:40:42 PM »
Mine says Bush is good as long as he keeps it fed.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 12:26:41 AM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
:rofl :aok

OK that's it.

i pwn
yo' phwn

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 07:26:01 AM »
Originally posted by Mr Big
Bush authorized wire-tapping with impunity? Don't think so.
Yes, he has and continues to do so, without warrants.  All in the name of 'fighting terror', which this law is also being asked to be passed for.  To help fight terrorists.

Look, you want to sit by and let this slide by, fine.  That is your option and your opinion.  I would appreciate it if you would just move along.

I posted this for the benefit of those who do participate in our process.  To give them time to write.  You think this law is fine, then write to your representative and let him/her know your opinion.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 07:37:17 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »
Here Mr BigNUKE, do you know what document this is from?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 07:51:24 AM »
Originally posted by Mr Big
Still don't see a problem. The wiretapping part does not say "illegal" wiretapping will be done. Just like any criminal investigation, I'd take it that they would have to get a warrant to tap someone.

When you "legalize" something, it is not illegal anymore. Welcome to the obvious.
As it stands now, a warrant is not obtained in a lot of cases. The reason being is the tap is not usualy on the "target" itself, but on others to 'go up the ladder" so to speak. Info obtained through these taps are never used in court.  Not used in court, no warrant needed. It is just a tool to get to where they wish to go.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 07:57:49 AM »
Does this proposal have a number attached to it as of yet for reference?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------