Author Topic: Grid Size/Map Size Questions  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Grid Size/Map Size Questions
« on: April 27, 2006, 02:32:36 PM »
Hello Everybody!

I have some questions about the terrains.

1. I was wondering... what is the grid size for each of the map sizes (64, 128, 256, 512)? I mean how long is each side of the grid, for each of these map sizes in TE?

2. For all my terrains so far I used map size 64, I have to say that it kinda bothers me because in the Clipoard Map the terrain looks very squareish. If I use a higher map size is that going to make it look beter? I mean more natural, not so square?

3. When would I want to use a larger map size? most of my terrains are very small, would be any benefit in using a larger map size?

Thank you!
Diamax

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »
Map size means the actual terrain size. If you make a large terrain, the CB map naturally looks less "squarish" because the squares become smaller.

Those map size numbers mean the actual lenght of the side of the terrain in miles. 64 = 64x64 miles, 128 = 128x128 miles, etc.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 04:36:46 PM »
Well, since the TE makes 1 sq. mile of terrain. When you Press: Make Map and select "OK" to confirm taking the picture. It uses that, practically detects where the tiles are. And makes 1 square on the .bmp file in the exact place where that tile is on the map.

If you want a more realistic terrain. Try drawing one yourself or visit a weather site and get a "2-D" picture of the terrain. Copy that, make that your .bmp map. Then zoom in really tight on the terrain in the TE. Use the Map box on the right to see where you are looking at. Then place terrain tiles to out-line the .bmp map file.

Once you do that, you have a realistic map applied, and you have a terrain to match it. Yipee, no squarish squished terrain! (I did that with my MaltaDen maps)
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare:
http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com
Join our TeamSpeak server, Click Here.

New forum ID: Denholm

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:54:41 PM »
Hello guys!

Thank you for the explanations! Didn't know all that.

So Blauk, if I understand correctly in CB map one of those squares in the grid has 64 miles (providing that I make my CB map 64 when I build the terrain). That meaning I could fit in 64 tiles of let's say rocky terrain on each side.

Ok Bogie, so when you are in TE and place those tiles, for example lets say you place a grass tile in the middle of the water, that grass tile is one square mile, meaning each side of it is 1 mile. Well, that's the main thing that I wanted to know, because I was wondering how large my terrains are.
Now that's a good idea about making the CB map more pleasing to the eye, by using/drawing some pictures.

Thanx a lot for clarifying this guys!
Diamax

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 11:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by Diablomax
So Blauk, if I understand correctly in CB map one of those squares in the grid has 64 miles (providing that I make my CB map 64 when I build the terrain). That meaning I could fit in 64 tiles of let's say rocky terrain on each side.

If you're referring to the sectors (a grid layed out over the CB map with numbers such as "1,1" in them), each sector is a 25 mile square.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 03:35:03 AM »
Time to clear this up.

All terrains are 512 miles by 512 miles but you only see the area you determine with the menu function Map Size.

When you select map size and select anything other then 512 x 512, you set the parrameters to reduce the clipboard view and the associated views when the clipboard is reduced or expaned.  If you set the map size to 64, then in-game you reduce the clipboard to display the largest possible area, it will display a 64x64 mile clipboard view.  You won't be able to reduce the clipboard map to see the rest of the 512x512 terrain.  When you scroll the map beyond the "edge" of the map, you only see the generic background color even though you may fly over water and land masses that don't shown on the map.

When you select the Make (clipboard) Map menu function, it builds a clipboard bitmap based on the map size (64x64) parrameter and terrain tile type (water, grass etc) which is a one mile square.  Any clipboard map you make will have one "square" for every square mile.

Sector lines are something different as OZ said, 25 x 25 mile squares used for convient in-game map reference locations but of little importance in the TE.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 01:38:06 PM »
Hi OOZ662!
Thank you! Yes I was refering to those sectors in CB Map.

Hello Easyscor!
Well, now you really cleared things up for me, looks like I missunderstood some things before. I'm glad I asked those questions here, now it makes more sense.
Thank you for taking the time to explain everything to me.

Well guys, now it's time to update the clipboard map of my latest terrain... cuz I know a lot more about it!!

Thank you all of you, and see you around!!
Diamax

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:56:07 AM »
Your Welcome Diablo. And just to answer your question, yes a tile is 1 square-mile. I know this because I measured it in AH by placing a friend at one end, and me at the other. Came out to exact measurements;)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 05:56:52 AM »
No, a terrain tile (texture) is NOT 1 mile. It's 1/4 mile.

The 1 mile grid in the TE is divided into 4. Allowing for 4 different tiles (textures) in a 1 mile square.

If you're talking about an object tile from the OE, then yes a tile is 1 mile square.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 06:01:28 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 10:17:12 PM »
NHawk, how the measurements can be different?
Do you mean that one tile of let's say Large Airfield in TE is 1/4 mile, and the same tile in OE is 1 mile?

One tile should have the same measurements everywhere, in TE, OE and CB/Game should be all the same, and it seems that people agree that it is 1 square mile.

Why my table would be smaller or larger if I move it from dining room to living room?!

Did I miss something? maybe I misunderstood something?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:20:05 PM by Diamax »
Diamax

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 10:26:22 PM »
Hmmm, I think I know what you mean...

When you say "1 mile in TE is divided into 4" you actually mean 1 mile of texture,  that you can click on the "Randomize" button and is gonna re-arrange those four parts of the tile/texture in a random order within the tile itself... gotcha!

Well I would still say that one tile is 1 square mile in TE, OE, and CB/Game as well, because those four parts of texture make up the entire tile anyway.
Diamax

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 01:29:03 AM »
That is exactly what causes some confusion. Those textures were called tiles before there was any OE :)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 05:43:07 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
That is exactly what causes some confusion. Those textures were called tiles before there was any OE :)
Yep. And new terminology is very hard to instill in people.
Hence why I still think there should be separate forums for the TE, OE and CE. Like there is for announcements, help and support, general forums and special events. Something like...

Terrain Creation

Terrain Editor
Object Editor
Cloud Editor

It would make things so much easier for everyone looking for specific information. Heck, I think I even volunteered to move the messages from this forum to their proper place in the new ones.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
Good thinking there, we need something like that so we dont get crammed all in one forum. Cause it does get confusing going from TE questions directly to OE or CE.:aok

Offline Bogie603rd

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
Originally posted by Diablomax
When you say "1 mile in TE is divided into 4" you actually mean 1 mile of texture,  that you can click on the "Randomize" button and is gonna re-arrange those four parts of the tile/texture in a random order within the tile itself... gotcha!

Yes, that's what he means. That 1 tile is 1/4 mile which makes the texture. And pressing "randomize" moves the tiles around into different positions. But, yes, Texture is 1 square mile, tile is 1/4 mile. And a texture consists of 4 1/4 mile tiles.