Author Topic: When two aircraft have a collision?  (Read 379 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
When two aircraft have a collision?
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:15:53 AM »
Collisions, can someone please explain it to me.  It seems to me that if two aircraft have a collisions, both aircraft should take damage.  But that is not what appears to happen in AH.  How is the Collision model supposed to work?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:30:34 AM »
Please use the search function. This topic has been covered in depth before. Many times...  :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:52:36 AM »
In a nutshell (for details please follow Lusches advice):

Theres actually 4 planes. You and him on your PC, Him and You on His PC.
Those for planes are not neccessarily in the same spot. Anyone that actually *sees* collision takes damage - and will get message *You collided with*. If you didnt get message and got damage - you got SHOT.

Yours and His view can be different, due to net lag (and even the best connection on both ends wont be able to avoid that).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:55:45 AM »
Traveler

With any internet flight sim there is a certain amount of lag. This will make a difference between 2 planes.If you are flying formation with a friend and ask him what he see's the distance between you is. And compare it to what you see, there will always be a difference. It may be small, 10's of feet, or it may be big, 400 600 yards.

In the middle of a turn fight where a collision happens even 100 yards can mean the difference between hitting and missing. Since it would not be fair to have you appear to have avoided the collision, then kill you anyway, because the other guy collided with you.

I mean really, do you think people would play here if you fly by another plane, he comes right at you, shooting, but you duck, trying to avoid. He collides with you, killing him.  And the system kills you also. Even though on your end you missed? Talk about whines.

Until we have internet connections faster than the speed of light the collision model must remain the way it is. There simply is no other way to do it.

If you still disagree go do the search's for collision threads. There have been I be easily 15 or so in the last 6 months. Hitech has explained how it works in at least half the threads.

Last I am posting a link to a page on net lag. This article has been around a while, nd it was written for warbirds not AH. However the concepts are similar if not identical. After all HT designed both games. Useing similar if not virutally identical systems.

The only thing that is really "off" is the icon range system hoof talks about.
If you have ANY questions about internet lag, READ THIS FIRST!

http://www.rdrop.com/users/hoofj/netlag.htm

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 05:28:18 AM »
While Ghosth is correct in theory, in actuality get used to having someone collide with you and YOU die while he flies away.  Just the way the game + net lag seems to work.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 05:37:31 AM »
Originally posted by Docc
While Ghosth is correct in theory, in actuality get used to having someone collide with you and YOU die while he flies away.  Just the way the game + net lag seems to work.

The one "seeing" the collision is not neccessarily the "culprit" - unfair? Yup, but unless Skuzzy finally gets into gear and rewrites the Net code ;)......

I mean think of it for a second. Were playing close to real time, the same game, we can see and hear each other - all the while being thousands of miles apart. I think its amazing that it works at all!

Problem with "both get damage" idea is: due to netlag you could have someone just fly past you at 100 yds distance and you get collision and damage out of the blue (because on his FE you were a little more to the right side).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 08:46:47 AM »
ever sat on an aircraft carrier and watched a plane 200' out take off from thin air?  Sit in a CV tower sometime and watch.  What he is seeing is himself takin' off on the carrier deck.  What you are seeing is him floating in midair 200 yards off the Carrier deck.

That's net lag.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit