Author Topic: Al-Qaida Threats  (Read 753 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2001, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by weazel:

I still stand by my post, where was the support for the mission once we were there?

Udie I don't *hate* the <lol> "right", I hate hypocrasy and waffling no matter the ideology.

The media, elected officials, and gutless cowards who don't support a standing President deserve the shame for their acts

Support for the mission was there until clinton decided to turn it into a man hunt. You say you hate hypocrasy yet you defend Clinton, that's baffeling.

Look man the congress was controlled by the democrats then, THEIR the ones who didn't stand by THEIR man and they have lots more to be ashamed about than just Somalia, as do the Republicans. BUT most of all Clinton should be ashamed, though I'd bet that shame is an emotion he's never experienced.

Fact is that Clinton a man who "loathed the military" used it more than any other president in history on more countries than any other president in history.  Most of the times he used it was to get his sorry bellybutton off the news.  In Somalia he got back at the military for Vietnam. It was before he learned what a powerful tool/afrodesiac (sp) it could be...

Offline newguy2

• Zinc Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2001, 09:02:00 PM »
For Clinton, the Aug. 22 attack was the final straw. That night, on his orders, Delta Force commandos from Ft. Bragg, N.C., a helicopter detachment from Ft. Campbell, Ky.,
and Army Rangers from Ft. Benning, Ga., were en route to Somalia.

Yup, Clinton never heard of it. Bush Sr. fault all the way.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: newguy2 ]

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Udie:

Support for the mission was there until clinton decided to turn it into a man hunt. You say you hate hypocrasy yet you defend Clinton, that's baffeling.

Look man the congress was controlled by the democrats then, THEIR the ones who didn't stand by THEIR man and they have lots more to be ashamed about than just Somalia, as do the Republicans. BUT most of all Clinton should be ashamed, though I'd bet that shame is an emotion he's never experienced.

Fact is that Clinton a man who "loathed the military" used it more than any other president in history on more countries than any other president in history.  Most of the times he used it was to get his sorry bellybutton off the news.  In Somalia he got back at the military for Vietnam. It was before he learned what a powerful tool/afrodesiac (sp) it could be...

Quit trying to twist my words with your *Right Wing* spin Udie.  

WHERE do I defend Clinton the man? If anything it's an indictment of gutless cowards not supporting the office of president.

I said:

"did you consider that without any support from Congress, the Senate, or American citizens that ANY president becomes impotent"

"It doesn't matter WHO the president is"

Do YOU feel guilty for not supporting him when he was president?

As you know I despise the troll we currently have, do I support him and our Armed Forces during this war?

The answer is....yes.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: weazel ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Weazel, you are missing what they are saying.

It's not a question of supporting the President in the Somalia case.

It's the fact that the PRESIDENT did not support his troops in the field. He expanded their mission WAY beyond what they were prepared to do. They asked for more resources (tanks) and were DENIED them.

I'm sorry, but just like Bush Sr. will wear the failure to go on to Baghdad, Clinton will always wear the loss of those Rangers.

You have to listen to the troops that are doing the job. He didn't.

It wasn't a matter of any support of Clinton.. it was the matter of Clinton supporting those troops he sent to capture the warlord.

That's what everyone is saying here (I think).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2001, 10:25:00 PM »
Let the Generals do the Generaling.

Tell the politicians to politic.

Tell the media to shut the hell up.

There; I feel beter now.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
right on toad...

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2001, 11:16:00 PM »
Funny thing about Bush Sr. and Baghdad:  you know why we didn't go to Baghdad?  Because someone(i forget who exactly, but some government official) got on TV and said something to the effect of "We won, we have defeated the Iraqis" after we had liberated Kuwait.

At that point, regardless of what anyone really wanted to do, the war was over, since we cannot say "we won" and still keep fighting.  

And if it was Bush Sr. who said it, well, he shot himself in the foot and quite possibly the ricochoet(sp?) may hit the rest of us.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2001, 11:25:00 PM »
Unless it was the Prez, it don't count. IMO.

A war is over when HE says its over.

Anyone else just has to go back on TV and say "I mis-spoke. There are a few objectives that remain to be accomplished."

Then the Prez fires that guy and continues the war.

Leaving Saddam was a big mistake. That isn't even 20/20 hindsight. The military knew it then, especially Swartzie... he just kept his mouth shut like a good soldier.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2001, 12:18:00 AM »
I am glad Toad covered the Somalia fiasco with some factual info.  Some things said by others were not correct.

If anyone wants a good understanding of the battle, including what lead up to it, the poor decision making at top levels that contributed to the problems, and the political aftermath, I strongly suggest reading the book Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden.  

I read the book, and promptly passed it to two co-workers who thought it was a great book. Both commented "I couldnt put it down".

Dago

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Dago ]
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2001, 04:48:00 PM »
Blackhawk Down is an outstanding book, if you haven't read it yet, you should.

We were fortunate enough to have some of the Rangers come speak to us last year here at USAFA.  Those are some amazing people.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Al-Qaida Threats
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: AKIron ]
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.