Author Topic: Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men  (Read 2448 times)

Offline NattyIced

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 06:55:42 AM »
Taking it off with an impact wrench, because it's an old car and the nut gets stuck a lot. You risk stripping it if the ratchet slips off a lot trying to pry it loose.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 08:03:20 AM »
Now that was funny!!!!

~AoM~

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 08:19:52 AM »
beet... you might want to check that oil change schedule..  18000 sounds a little bit long.. I don't think they even make a filter that is recomended for that length of time.

I have bought some mobil one that said 15000 but...  I can't get myself to go past 6-7k depending.

lazs

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
I don`t care if it`s synthetic, smynthetic, prosthetic or dropped off a space ship marked "magical", if you don`t change your oil at least every 5000 you are a mor............ummmmm ....very unwise.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Jackal you owe me a Keyboard. Gd funny magical he says.
Still chuckling as i read it again.
Now I got to drain fluids from keyboard (coffee).
Where did i put that impact wrench.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »
See Rule #5, #4
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:02:28 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
i let the pros handle the dirty and moving bits (engine?) on the car

no idea what it costs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 10:35:46 AM »
See Rule #5, #4
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:02:43 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 11:00:14 AM »
Vasoline is a petroleum based lubricant. You're not supposed to use it because it causes various types of rubbers to break down (ex: latex, neoprene). Unless you break out your chemist set and find out the specific compound of that oil filter o-ring, it's better safe than sorry. Why risk an eventual leak when you can just dab oil instead of using something with the potential to cause damage? I thought you were a better safe than sorry kinda guy Beet :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
Just FYI, and off topic.  I grow weary of the same people making the same type of posts, over and over again, which need to be removed as they are highly negative, abrasive, and just flat nasty.

Either change your ways, or move along to another board as your time here will be very short if those habits are not changed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »
Skuzz - can't for the life of me see why you clipped that post, but OK. Let's just leave the Audi service interval in.

Audi Service Interval

Lazs - The right hand table below is the one I'm on. As you can see, the (variable) service interval can be as high as 20,000 miles, or two years.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »
Mora mentioned the cost of oil. The oil I use - and a litre of it was supplied by Audi when I bought the car so I know it's the right type -  is Castrol SLX, viscosity is 0W-30, and costs about £14 (~$25) for a litre. However, if you're a low mileage user on the Interval Service schedule (10,000 miles), a different type of oil is used.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »
Recommended service intervals vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  My car requires oil changes every 5,000 miles (I change it every 3,000 miles).  It explicitly states not to use synthetic oils.

I have been around cars all my life.  Worked in many dealerships as well.  One thing I know for sure is the automobile manufacturer has no interest in making your car last as long as it could.

Oxidation in today's oils are not as big a problem as it used to be.  But, there is still the presence of fuel vapor, which over time, does break down the additives in the oil causing it to slowly lose the ability to suspend particulate matter.  Many fuel additives expedite this process.

Diesel fuel is less of a problem than gasoline, which is one reason a diesel can go much further than a gas engine between oil changes.

Oh, mora, we have the same oils available here that you do.  I use Pennzoil PZL Turbo, or Castrol GT in my engines.  The PZL Turbo is difficult to find, but it really makes a difference in the smoothness and spinup of the engine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2006, 11:18:42 AM »
FYI, this is advice for non-synthetic oils. FWIW:My BMW owners manual says every 15,000 miles, but I change it every 10,000.

March 2, 2006
Don’t Change Your Oil Too Frequently

Here’s a money saving tip for you… Don’t change your oil any more than necessary. The idea of changing you oil every three months or 3,000 miles has been pounded into our heads by the oil change industry for years. But is it really necessary? Maybe, maybe not. But many people buy into the idea that frequent oil changes are “cheap insurance,” so why not do it?

While changing your car’s oil too often won’t hurt it, doing so is a waste of money. And besides, if you go to one of those Quicky-Lube places to get your oil changed, do you really want a minimum wage grease monkey messing with your car any more than is absolutely necessary?

According to Tom and Ray Magliozzi (a.k.a., Click & Clack of Car Talk fame), a general rule of thumb would be to change your oil and filter every 5,000 miles. They do, however, recognize that this will be too soon for many people, and a bit late for a few.

As far as I’m concerned, the best approach is to check your owner’s manual. While some cars still need to have their oil changed every 3,000 miles, others can safely go as far as 10,000 miles between changes. Keep in mind that most manufacturers recommend a shorter interval between oil changes if you drive under ‘extreme conditions’ such as extremely high temperature, exceptionally dirty/dusty operating conditions, regularly towing a load, or frequent short trips in cold weather. If you’re concerned, err on the side of the extreme driving conditions. But there’s no need to blindly follow the 3,000 mile rule of thumb.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2006, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
One thing I know for sure is the automobile manufacturer has no interest in making your car last as long as it could.
I can see where you're coming from on that, but remember - back in the 1970s, we had cars which required oil changes every 3000 miles. So clearly something has changed - in engine design, oil technology. What type of car is yours, skuzzy?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2006, 11:40:40 AM »
2006 Lexus IS250.  I change mine more often as I do a high percentage of in-town, short distance driving.

A lot has changed since the 70's.  One of the primary reasons engines do not need oil changes as often as they did is due to the use of electronic fuel injection.  Less fuel vapor finds its way into the crankcase of today's engines versus engines of yore.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:43:45 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese