Author Topic: Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Oil Change Instructions for Women and Men
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by mora
One reason why that works  in the US is that there's no mandatory vehicle testing(MOT) you can drive your car until the brakes fail completely and take it to a "brake shop", hopefully not causing an accident on the way there, and when something else fails you take it to another shop. Here you would have to take it to 5 different shops once a year, which would be inpractical.

Mora, not true. There are more than 30 states that have mandatory vehicle inspections.  Just about all have mandatory emissions testing.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2006, 03:51:48 PM »
What Rip said.  Even Texas (considered backwards by most people) requires an annual inspection (new cars first inspection after two years) and emissions test.

What we do not have is a good drivers license test.  If you can walk into the drivers license station, you are pretty assured to get a drivers license.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Mora, not true. There are more than 30 states that have mandatory vehicle inspections.  Just about all have mandatory emissions testing.

Was aware of the emission testing, but otherwise it's news to me, I've allways thought that this concept was rejected in the US.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Jackal you owe me a Keyboard. Gd funny magical he says.
Still chuckling as i read it again.
Now I got to drain fluids from keyboard (coffee).
Where did i put that impact wrench.

Bronk

:aok
Hehe. Borrow Beet`s. He don`t use it.

As for the Valvoline disser.............I wouldn`t use anything else in anything over a four cylinder............which I would`t have. Great oil for high performance, heavy use. Also use Valvoline aircraft oil in the Harley.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »
So jackall, have you read the Audi maintenance schedule that I posted? I embedded it so you wouldn't have to download it. See where it says oil service interval - up to 20K miles? :D:D

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2006, 04:33:53 PM »

I’ve owned cars in Alaska, Hawaii, Colorado and Ohio.  Only in Hawaii was there a required inspection beyond emissions.  Those Nazis made me replace a cracked blinker lens on my old Audi.  It was cracked; mind you, not broken or missing the slightest bit of plastic.  In Alaska you could duct tape an orange plastic newspaper bag over the spot where the lens used to be and call it good.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
Originally posted by eskimo2
I’ve owned cars in Alaska, Hawaii, Colorado and Ohio.  Only in Hawaii was there a required inspection beyond emissions.  Those Nazis made me replace a cracked blinker lens on my old Audi.  It was cracked; mind you, not broken or missing the slightest bit of plastic.  In Alaska you could duct tape an orange plastic newspaper bag over the spot where the lens used to be and call it good.

:rofl ^^

Just about every state east of the mississippi have state vehicle inspections. (last count was 34 states nation-wide) Our state (WA) doesn't have a mandatory vehicle inspection but it does have mandatory emissions testing.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2006, 04:41:56 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
So jackall, have you read the Audi maintenance schedule that I posted? I embedded it so you wouldn't have to download it. See where it says oil service interval - up to 20K miles? :D:D

So beet, do you understand now that we do have recognisable service schedule and a network of service agents in the U.S.? :rofl

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »
See Rule #4
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2006, 05:32:24 PM »
So beet, do you understand now that we do have recognisable service schedule and a network of service agents in the U.S.? :rofl
Can you post it in the thread? I posted mine. I know you're good at cutting and pasting. :D

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2006, 03:38:26 AM »
Oh, the sun has set and risen again - still no word from jackall about the 20K oil change. :confused:;)

Originally posted by eskimo2
In Alaska you could duct tape an orange plastic newspaper bag over the spot where the lens used to be and call it good.
When I was in CA in 1979, I was amazed at some of the cars I saw which their owners at least deemed to be "roadworthy". The funniest was a large sedan/saloon which had been in a crash and had damaged the front corner. The whole headlight assembly had been smashed up, and what remained was left dangling on a piece of wire. The owner was driving around like that! Wish I'd taken a photo.

Over here, all cars are subject to an annual "MOT Test" when they turn 3 years old. eskimo's car would not have passed with that duct tape. No damage is allowed to the light clusters, and the windscreen/windshield must be undamaged - no stone chips in the area in front of the driver. The numberplate must be undamaged. Even the windscreen washers have to be working!

Full details of test - http://www.motcentrefinder.co.uk/nav/info_pages/checklist_mot.htm

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2006, 04:41:51 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
:As for the Valvoline disser.............I wouldn`t use anything else in anything over a four cylinder............which I would`t have. Great oil for high performance, heavy use. Also use Valvoline aircraft oil in the Harley.

I couldn't agree more, it's good oil.

Nothing goes in my 351c except Valvoline mineral oil, and I keep it in there a max of 5k miles before changing it...engine oil is relativly cheap. 10 years of flogging the ring out of the car every chance I get and the engine still runs as sweet as it did when I bolted it together, no smoke, rattles or knocks and it never needs topping-up between oil changes. I got no need for synthetic oil, it offers no advantage and would probably only piss out past the crank seals anyway.

Excel

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2006, 04:59:03 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Over here, all cars are subject to an annual "MOT Test" when they turn 3 years old. eskimo's car would not have passed with that duct tape. No damage is allowed to the light clusters, and the windscreen/windshield must be undamaged - no stone chips in the area in front of the driver. The numberplate must be undamaged. Even the windscreen washers have to be working!

About the same as here. A car with a cracked rear light wouldn't be failed though. It would be a category 1 fault at most, which you can have up to 3 and still pass, but the "1" faults are written behind the registration.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2006, 06:33:10 AM »
Sounds just like our annual inspection in Texas beet.  Except it starts after two years for new cars, and some windshield chipping and/or minor cracks are allowed as long as it does not interfere with the view from the drivers seat.

Windsheild wipers must be functional, headlights must be correctly aligned, tires cannot be worn down to or past the wear bars, all factory lenses must be intact, emissions must pass, turn signals must be functional, seat belts cannot be worn/frayed, license plate (I believe you called it a "number plate") lights must be operational,  and a host of other little things.

A sticker is affixed to the windshield, visible from the outside, which carries the month and year of the next inspection due.

Now, with that said, there are a number of illegal ways to circumvent this whole process.  There are counterfeit stickers, inspection stations which can be bribed to slap the sticker in place without doing the inspection, and so on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2006, 07:02:23 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Recommended service intervals vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  My car requires oil changes every 5,000 miles (I change it every 3,000 miles).  It explicitly states not to use synthetic oils.

FYI in France for a IS250 oil change is at 15000km (about 9000miles)