Author Topic: FE & collisions etc.  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
I'm not one of those know-it-all punks who think it's funny to interject their insulting or destructive comments in every thread I see.  

I understand what they are saying about how collisions 'supposedly' work.

I am a mechanical engineer who is used to thinking logically.  If I am the blue plane and I film it it shows a clean miss and my tail falls off about 1 second later when I get the message that XXXX has collided with me.  I live 600 ms ping time west of Dallas.  What I would like considered and explained by all you 'experts' is a collision on my blue plane by a guy who lives 300 ms east of Dallas.

Next time I have a film I will gladly send it to HT for review.   There are many others in the MA who have the same problem with collisions, especially when in the drawing above the current damage model wipes out the tail surfaces of the collidee causing death and the collider loses an engine at most.

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2006, 11:18:20 AM »
I really didn't start this thread for it to turn into an arguement between anyone. Only to clarify a few questions/points I wasn't clear on. I have this crazy problem where if I don't understand something I ask questions & research it until I do.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
Docc, it's quite simple. If it looks like you hit him on your FE, you did. If it looks like he hit you on his FE, he did. If you take damage, and receive a "XXX collided with you" message, but not a "you have collided message", you were shot, and collided with.

Lag has nothing to do with it. But hey, you know all this. HT himself has told you all of this, and yet you still maintain that only your perception of how things work is correct.

I don't understand how you could expect anyone to take you seriously.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »
Docc: What you describe is inposible. The proccessing of a collision is realy simple. It is as simple as the following.

if( UserHasCollided())
{
    print("You have collided");
   SendMessageToOtherUser("Docc has collided with you");
    ApplyDamageToPlane();
}

It apears one place only in the code. And it is aboslutly inposible to take damage from a collision with out having the message "You have collided"

Lag and  graphics have absolutly no bering on this simple fact. You can not collide with out that message.

So there for if you took damage and did not have that message, there are only 2 other posiblities I can think of.

1. You were shot.
2. You overstresed the plane.

HiTech

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2006, 11:53:40 AM »
I'm not going to argue with you Hub.  Your credibility with me has been ruined in all the other threads you insulted people in.

I'll wait for a real answer from someone who has bothered to read the whole thread.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2006, 12:00:38 PM »
Originally posted by Docc
:cry

I'll wait for a real answer from someone who has bothered to read the whole thread.

HiTech posted again. There's your answer, AGAIN. Somehow I think you'll still call him a liar, and still claim you're right.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »
Thanks for an honest reply HT.  

Next time I have a film of it I will send it to you.

But to be fair in the game I (and many others) would ask that you consider changing the damage model on collisions so that the person who never saw the collision on his front end receives less fatal damage than the person who did the colliding.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
But to be fair in the game I (and many others) would ask that you consider changing the damage model on collisions so that the person who never saw the collision on his front end receives less fatal damage than the person who did the colliding.

:huh

Why should I take damage... any damage... if I never collided with you on my front end?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
You've got to be kidding.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:21:44 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2006, 12:43:58 PM »
See Rule #4

:huh

Why should I take damage... any damage... if I never collided with you on my front end?

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:22:01 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2006, 12:54:26 PM »
the collision on his front end receives less fatal damage than the person who did the colliding.

OK but what about this situation:

I dove on a guy but ended up going to fast, he disappeared under me and about a second later i got a "You have" collision message.

I am pretty sure that on his FE he was pulling up to avoid the madman in the diving P47

But on my FE I think that the below happened:

Now:
I did not see the collision
I did not cause the collision
but I take the damage cause it happened on my FE.

Some might think that this is unfair but it is simply the way it goes.

Rember that he was not pulling up into me on his FE, he was pulling up into empty space either infront of or behind me.

EDIT: Its not about who caused the collision, its about which FE the collision occoured on.....
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 12:57:09 PM by mussie »

Offline Docc

• Copper Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2006, 12:56:22 PM »
Todd, suffice it to be that I have been avoiding possible collision situations lately.  But EVERY time I get a message that 'SOMEONE has collided with you" I take terminal damage.  The same happens to other people in the MA.

When I collide with someone and get the message  "you have collided with SOMEONE" I expect to get damage and I do, but not necessarily terminal.

I agree it's not right and I'm trying to find an explanation for it.   Since there is no damage in the TA, looks like I'll have to get a squaddie to fly against me in the DA if it uses the same collision model and both of us film it.  We'll use C47s to eliminate the bullet aspect once and for all.

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
solution to ramming
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2006, 12:56:43 PM »
Every ram or collision results in $1 being charged to your creditd card. Once you reach $25 in a month, it goes up to $2. Once you reach $50 you pay double subscription for Aces High. :)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
FE & collisions etc.
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »
Last time. Only the person who collides (gets the orange system message) takes damage from a collision. The other part involved in the collision that your PC detects (the guy who gets the white PM, and who doesn't register a collision on his PC) doesn't take damage from the collision.

Fair enough, Skuzzy.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:27:56 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++