Author Topic: XP vs Vista  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »
I downloaded the Vista Beta today... No way I'm gonna try it on my "new" AH-computer. But I'm thinking to give it a test run on my older computer. If it doesn't work, well, it's time to clean some of the corners. :D (I've got a C-64, 2 Amiga 500's, 1 Macintosh LC, and 3-4 old pc's lying around..)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Using Vista
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2006, 07:14:22 PM »
I just install beta version of vista, Forget 512mb or ram, You will need at least 1 gb of ram. Performace is choppy, I had it freeze 4 times in 2 hours.

It looks pretty.

Nothing installed except for Aces and firefox, almost 10gb for the OS alone!, WOW, I have a feeling the MS has found a way to fillup those 300 gb drives!

It really looks pretty .

I relize its a beta version but I all ready hated it in about 1/2 hour. It took me 15 minutes to get the internet to work. I assume when it goes gold, the window driver cache will easy load this up to about 15 to 20 gb.

It looks pretty.

Alot of the features kinda look like Mac OS X, and a few Linux flavors. I going to play around with it but I dont see a pressing need to upgrade to Vista when it is officially release.

by the way Aces does work but play is terrible cause of my mem count.
For those that want to switch start building your Uber PC's.

Ireally wish this game was cross platform. An apple version and or a Linus version. I wish, I hope, with fingers crossed.

By the way did I mention it looks pretty?

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
XP vs Vista
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2006, 09:02:16 PM »
the only way to test vista in on a seperate hd ... also compleatly disconnect your current drive if your gonna test .. (you have been warned)

ps you need a really good book or something to occupy ya while it installs ....

"    I just install beta version of vista, Forget 512mb or ram, You will need at least 1 gb of ram. Performace is choppy, I had it freeze 4 times in 2 hours. "

it freezes on a 3500+ 64 bit with 2 gb ram  too ...

sometimes it just goes into SOS mode .. (Stuck on Stupid) just doing little stuff like opening a video , browsing a folder in doc's ... or even a webpage .. and it has this thing against firefox  with each update ... prepare to reload it and hit it with stick ...it bugs out alot if your trying to read a second harddrive even worse still  ....  
 :furious <--- most seen expression while using vista ....

Oh yea the transparent eye candy is nice ... but that about it .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
I just had to try it.....
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2006, 09:42:56 PM »
Spent the evening reloading up my PC.
I found a old drive, 40gb (whiney) reinstalled XP with service packs, installed Aces.
Then install Vista on the old drive, figured I play around with it. Since I am a computer Repair Tech and will becoming across Vista on new machine, "after the First of the year".
Then I have Ubuntu Linux waiting to be install on the rest of the first hard drive.
 So what would it take to get Aces built for Linux? Any Ideas? or a mac edition?
I can get he game installer to launch and "load" but the game will not launch in Linux.
So close but so far away.

Boy it sure looks pretty.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »
I wonder if pain spent adding an OpenGL option to AH would be less than the possible agony of DirectX 10?

I recall hitech saying something to the effect that it would be cheaper to buy Mac users a PC than to port to Mac. But, BootCamp makes it moot now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:15:26 PM by Rolex »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2006, 11:39:51 PM »
DX10 will be backwards compatible with DX9. HTC can keep programming AH2 in DX9 and it will still work. DX10 will be highly resouce-demanding I think, and will require a re-write from ground up. No existing game will front that bill. Future games might plan for it, but a game that already exists is going to stay DX9.

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
XP vs Vista
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2006, 08:23:29 AM »
Depends Krusty.

If the software developers have abstracted their internal system from the graphical API system. Then the transition from DirectX9 to DirectX10 could be as easly as designing a new interface to communicate with the new API system.

You can see this allready in the industry by software offering both directX and openGL graphical library files.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2006, 09:24:56 AM »
just talked to a guy in the smoke pit who was carrieing around a copy of the beta version.  said you would need at least 512 mb of ram and a video card with enough memorie to run vista.......

im good with my machine but it appears that the days of running low end systems is over......

i think microsoft has deals with hardware manufactors........

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
XP vs Vista
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »
"i think microsoft has deals with hardware manufactors........"

Ya think ... :rofl  

can you say "Restore cd" .. yea they've had a deal for years .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2006, 01:06:35 PM »
MS will only learn once it's forced into bankruptcy. Which means it will never learn. Ever.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2006, 01:27:36 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
MS will only learn once it's forced into bankruptcy. Which means it will never learn. Ever.

Boooooo, bad Microsoft.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory