Author Topic: XP vs Vista  (Read 3280 times)

Offline F1Bomber

• Copper Member
      • http://www.bushtech.com.au
XP vs Vista
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2006, 07:54:04 AM »
OKay my bad! did some more reading. I was wrong in regards to only accessing directX10 via .net, the port over to .net hasnt happend yet and the specifications of the API are only out in C/C++. So i applogies for any incorrect information.

Please remind me not to write on bbs when i'm drunk lol.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 04:08:41 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Well, here are the offical minimum requirements for Vista.  MS posted them today.

================================
- 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
- 1 GB of system memory.
- A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero.
- 128 MB of graphics memory.
- 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
- DVD-ROM Drive.
- Audio output capability.
- Internet access capability.
================================

"That's no moon!"

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2006, 03:17:23 AM »
It is just a sign of the times hubs.  I cannot count how many, what I call, new-age programmers who do not think twice about using 1,000 lines of code, where only 10 lines would do the job.

It's not that they are bad programmers, per se.  They just cannot get past the 'whiz-bang' approach to programming.  Instead of using the right tool/language for the task at hand, they use the latest whiz-bang stuff, even if it is the wrong thing to do.  Sort of like using a sledge hammer, when all you really needed was an awl.

MS has a very large programming population who are good application programmers, but suck at system programming.  This is why Vista will be so bloated.  It's being written like an application, rather than from the systems approach.

MS does not want to kill the PC gaming industry, but they are not doing much to help it with Vista.

I always remember some of the best games etc used to come out of the old Eastern Bloc countries as they never had the mega resources that typical Western PC's had.
Programming was really tight.
Even this has gone down the toilet now they have better access to more up to date Western stuff.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
Re: ddr
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 08:43:55 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Along the lines of how much ram.
I currently have 1 gig of 3200 ddr. (2  512 sticks) and have 2 slots open.
If I were to add 2 more 512 sticks would the ram jump back to single data rate?

Bronk

If u have 3200 DDR ram (400MHz) it will not work with 2700 DDR ram (333 MHz).  So if u want to add more or upgrade you either need to buy 3200 DDR ram or new ram chips alltogether (as long as your motherboard will support it), the reason i know this is because i have a single 3200 (400 MHz) 1024 MB DDR ram and i have a 2700 (333 MHz) 512 DDR ram in my computer and it only picks up the 1024 MB ram chip :-(

and btw id sugest to get a single 1024 MB ram chip, besides the fact u can add more ram, it will run faster.  they maybe more expensive but their worth it!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:46:04 PM by Nemeth »

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Re: Re: ddr
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Nemeth
If u have 3200 DDR ram (400MHz) it will not work with 2700 DDR ram (333 MHz).  So if u want to add more or upgrade you either need to buy 3200 DDR ram or new ram chips alltogether (as long as your motherboard will support it), the reason i know this is because i have a single 3200 (400 MHz) 1024 MB DDR ram and i have a 2700 (333 MHz) 512 DDR ram in my computer and it only picks up the 1024 MB ram chip :-(

and btw id sugest to get a single 1024 MB ram chip, besides the fact u can add more ram, it will run faster.  they maybe more expensive but their worth it!!!

Thats a problem with your motherboard then, because PC3200 and PC2700 work just fine together.  All the RAM just runs at the PC2700 speed.  More than likely your motherboard isnt seeing the other stick because of the size difference, not the speed difference.  Many of them require matched size sticks (ie 2x512 or 2x1024)  If you have 4 slots, you can probably run 2x512 and 2x1024 and get 3GB of RAM, but you cant run 1x1024 and 1x512 and get 1.5GB.  If it WILL work, you may need to take the sticks out and swap which one is the first stick.

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 03:08:17 PM »
Humm... yet i before i had my 1024 MB 400 MHz ram chip, I had a 512 MB 333 MHz and a 256 MB 333 MHz that worked together (same motherboard)

So why did that work before hand and not work now?  im guessing the MHz difference between em.  If im wrong just yell at me some more... im getting used to it on the fourms now...

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
XP vs Vista
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »
Try swapping the positions of the two memory sticks.  If the 1024 stick is in the first position, put the 512 stick in the first position.  PC3200 is compatible with PC2700 and PC2100 RAM.  All 3 can run together, assuming the motherboard supports all FSB speeds.  The RAM just runs at the speed of the slowest stick.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2006, 06:42:26 PM »
If you have 4 slots on your motherboard, look for numbers next to them (numbers 1 through 4). If you don't see numbers just guess which one starts at 1, and they go from there.

If you have un-matched RAM, you need to stagger it in slots 1 and 3. If you try putting it into 1 and 2 it will attempt to run dual channel. At least, this is how my motherboard is set up, and it's recent, so I'd assume others act this way too.

Make sure you have a ram stick in every other ram slot. Either you end up with banks 1 and 3 full or 2 and 4, either way it should work. If you can, definitely try for banks 1 and 3, as I've not tested a setup that skips bank 1.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2006, 11:09:57 AM »
In this video of Vista in action they say minimum specs will be 512Mb ram?? I'm sure it won't be able to open notepad on that memory :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/4660-3513_7-6530547.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
XP vs Vista
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
I think that was the original target Ripley.

They will have 4 versions of Vista.

Vista Lite:  It does not have Aero (the new windowing/video subsystem) and missing many tools for managing the OS.  Think of it as pre-canned.  You get what you get and that is it.

Vista:  Managing utilites included.  No Aero.  Think of it is as being XP like, only needing twice the hardware resources.

Vista Pro:  Aero, but no managing utilites.  Think of it as XP, with major usage of Themes and needing three times the resources as XP Pro.

Vista Diety:  The whole ball of wax.  4 times more hardware resources needed, but the Windows frames and headers can be transparent!  WOOT!  As a bonus, you cannot make a copy of a pre-recorded DVD!  WEEEEE!  How cool is that!?!?! :D
---

Ok, a bit of fun here with it, but you will be surprised how close I am in some of the descriptions.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 05:42:29 PM »
:rofl

No, wait.... I just realized Skuzzy's right...

:cry

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 08:07:25 PM »
but the Windows frames and headers can be transparent!  WOOT!

LOL, i alredy have that option on my computer and i have XP Home Edition, i think its part of my nVidia 5200 drivers called nView, its really not that great, only good thing about it is when you drag a window around u can see other open aps. (mostly not worth it cuz you cant read anything behind it if there is text on window :furious)

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
XP vs Vista
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:09 AM »
5 versions actually:

(from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx )

Windows Vista Business

Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise

Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Home Basic

Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

Windows Vista Ultimate

If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.
I am a spy!

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
XP vs Vista
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 07:46:13 AM »
I think that was the original target Ripley.

They will have 4 versions of Vista.

Vista Lite:  It does not have Aero (the new windowing/video subsystem) and missing many tools for managing the OS.  Think of it as pre-canned.  You get what you get and that is it.

Vista:  Managing utilites included.  No Aero.  Think of it is as being XP like, only needing twice the hardware resources.

Vista Pro:  Aero, but no managing utilites.  Think of it as XP, with major usage of Themes and needing three times the resources as XP Pro.

Vista Diety:  The whole ball of wax.  4 times more hardware resources needed, but the Windows frames and headers can be transparent!  WOOT!  As a bonus, you cannot make a copy of a pre-recorded DVD!  WEEEEE!  How cool is that!?!?! :D
---

Ok, a bit of fun here with it, but you will be surprised how close I am in some of the descriptions.

Vista DUH - For the majority of users, comes pre-configured with all the resource hogging crap you don't need, and they can't be disabled.

Vista EEK - As above but resource hoggers can be disabled provided you have a Masters Degree in nuclear brain surgery. As an added bonus includes numerous other tools that can hose your installation at the click of a button.

Vista ADMINS NITEMARE - Will be bought by company owners and installed on all machines. Will include all the above plus the ability for users to screw things up just by merely turning on the system.

Vista ULTICRAP - For use if you happen to own a Cray.

[edit] Already told my boss (company owner) WE ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE IT, no way, no shape, no form.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:49:32 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
XP vs Vista
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2006, 09:03:09 AM »
A couple of points...

- The only reason for Vista's new GUI features (as described in original post) is to have an advance look-and-feel to compete with MacOS.

- The x86 architecture has supported more than 4GB for quite some time, at least on server-type motherboards. There's a significant diminishing-return, but it will address memory past 4GB.

- RAM is very cheap these days, drop in the bucket compared to video cards, I've been running 4GB for a couple of years. I turn the page-to-disk off, but it is irritating that Windoze likes to page even with HW-RAM availble in large quantities.

- You think it is bad now you shoulda seen Longhorn back in 2003 (maybe around build 4051 or so), took it half an hour to finish booting on a 2GB box...LOLOL.

- You wont see Vista RTM until late 2007.

- You wanna bash M$ then hit them on their most recent "flagship product", SQL-2005-64 that has no management tools. You have to run Enterprise Manager in 32 bit to do anything.