Author Topic: Hey Yucca  (Read 1033 times)

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« on: May 24, 2006, 01:32:37 PM »
What program are you useing to make those video's?

Trying to figure out how to turn my recordings into video clips, for posting.

JMFJ

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Hey Yucca
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 01:49:05 PM »
http://www.fraps.com

run this program in the background.

You'll then see a yellow number (framerates) on the upper left corner of the game.

Hit the record button (whatever you set this too) and it will record up to 30 seconds of whatever you see in the game or film viewer.  If you want to record for longer than 30 seconds, you'll then need to pay for fraps at 30 dollars I think.

These files will be up to 300 megabytes in size.  You can then put these clips into windows movie maker which is free from microsoft.com for windows xp users.

Or you can use Sony Vegas which costs a few hundred dollars.

I used:
Sony Vegas 5.0 (video editing software)
Creative Wave Studio (sound editing software)
Fraps (video capturing software)

Also note that you may need a fast computer.  I have a 2.4Ghz 1gb ram and I CAN NOT run fraps and Aces High Film Viewer at the same time.  If I do, I'll get 12 to 18 frames per second, which is very choppy.  But I can run fraps and the game at the same time.

It took me half a week to learn how to use the software and 1.5 weeks to shoot and edit film.

Check out link in my signature for my first and only film of what is possible to do with all this software.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:16:34 PM »
I got adobe premier pro, that should work shouldn't it?

When I try to save the video clip, as a avi file (in the video editor) it gives me 14 seconds of looking at the first second which is the tower view.

JMFJ

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »
I used the fraps, it will as you noted capture 30 seconds the smoothness of the capture is based on your frame rate so of course it was choppy.  Still would like to use the film editor in conjunction w/my adobe pro.

My problem isn't that I can't get it into adobe as much as when I try to turn the video from a ahf file into a avi (in the film editor).  I put in the input of time to capture start to end, click on capture & it says it captured it.  But when I watch it in the microsoft avi film no matter what time line I put in it is 30 sec, 46 sec, 50 seconds depending on how much film I try to capture.  All I get is that many seconds of the starting clip sitting in the tower.

What am I doing wrong, please help.

JMFJ

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 04:09:58 PM »
There's another, non-fraps method. It was the method of choice for a counter-strike movie series that used custom maps, voice actors, in & out of game special effects, etc, etc. Very well produced... I just wish I could remember the name of it. I think it's Militia or something like that... takes place on a heavily rebuilt CS_Militia map. It's been used in other games too for equally good results...

Very simple, if your video card has a TV-Out, clone your monitor to that port in your windows video control panel. Plug that TV-Out into the input of a digital camcorder (or similar). Press record on the camcorder, and off you go. It's also helpful (depending on what you want) to also use a headphone to rca converter and bring the audio out with it. Feed the movies from the camcorder back into Adobe or similar for editing, and you're ready to go.

The benefits are higher framerates than fraps can offer, giving you a cleaner video overall. The higher the framerate both your computer and camcorder can support the better.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
I bought fraps. use it's newest version... Capture what i want in film viewer with it and edit it with Sonic Foundry vegas 4.0.  Then export it ad a wmv.  And there it is.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 07:14:41 PM »
I use Fraps for capture and VirtualDub for compression.

VirtualDub is freeware and has a ton of features that MovieMaker will never compete with.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »
Thank you for the reply Yucca.

I read on one of the archived threads, if you capture long segments of video w/fraps it will become a huge file and be a pain in the butt to work with, is this just based on how powerful your computer is?

In regards to using the Fraps program, it seems to capture the video for 30 seconds, and it don't matter if you are paused or playing it runs 30 seconds.

So without being able to pause the rec when I pause the video, I assume you are suppose to just be fast on the controls for switching views.  Or do you do a hole bunch of tiny (10 sec) cuts and splice it all together.

Reason I'm asking:  When I'm recording I will get my tank in perfect angle, zoom & view for the shot I'm trying to capture.  And then it will jump directions based on which way I was looking when I was playing the game.  Is that just the way it is or am I doing something wrong.

JMFJ

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 08:39:15 PM »
fraps does make huge files.  I probably use 2-3 gigs of space per movie in just uncompressed footage.  Then send it to the  editor to have it compressed.  The free version of fraps does the 30 secs segments.  Buy it or get it "somehow" and you can do longer than 30 secs.

Make sure you dont have "use recorded views" selected.  Tanks are tricky though because there is no way to get around the views changing when you're moving the turret to my knowledge.  The best thing to do is use pan to give you smooth shots.

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:05 AM »
I've tried that snap, and pan button, how are you suppose to use them?  There seems to be no difference between the different options you can click on.  Or I'm probably doing something wrong.  But whether I'm clicked on pan or snap it gives me the same panning action from the slider bar at the bottom.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty green on getting footage out of the video editor.

JMFJ

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Hey Yucca
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:37:33 AM »
Snap will be an instant head movement, pan will do a smooth move around.  Do different things and try them out is the best way that I found out.  Need anything else let me know...
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline JMFJ

• Copper Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 11:57:01 AM »
Originally posted by ChristCAF
Snap will be an instant head movement, pan will do a smooth move around.  Do different things and try them out is the best way that I found out.  Need anything else let me know...

This is in regards to when you move the slider, cause when I move the slider at the bottom whether I'm in pan or snap I get the same movement.

JMFJ

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Bottom Slider
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 01:15:32 PM »
Okay, I think I just misread your post before.  The bottom slider affect I think when your in the Chase view mostly. I think.... I have not used it for a few months...
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Hey Yucca
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 04:21:07 PM »
BTW, you can use the numpad in film viewer to look around (num lock to get rid of the annoying beep) and adjust your (internal) views just like you can in game - arrow/page up+down, F10 to save.

And a side note for FRAPS.... use something as your "record" hotkey that is NOT assigned to something in the viewer. For quite q while i had the default F9 and every time i started recording the view changed back to defaul and snap view. Took my female understanding of computers quite a while to figure out what the problem was, now i got R as hotkey and it works great.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Hey Yucca
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 06:46:19 PM »
you can use the f1 key f2 key f3 key f4 keys just like in game to select view modes.  If in ta nks i'd use pan mode to counteract the "pan motion" you get in the tank while moving turret.