Author Topic: Stay away from Jiffy Lube  (Read 2925 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Stay away from Jiffy Lube
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2006, 03:31:16 PM »
I'm back!

And... since there are few other interesting threads, I thought I'd come back here.
Originally posted by Jackal1
So...so far we have proved that sensors can`t be depended on, Audi definitely has been known to have oil sludge buildup problems, aftermarket producers have a smile a mile wide and some car makers are trying to go the route of big government to the point of nannyism and some are falling for it, but most of all common sense reigns once again even though not adaptable to some people. Anything else? :)
No, what we have so far, as part of the evidence you have presented as "well documented fact" is a clutch of stubborn Audi drivers who thought they knew better than Audi which oil was right for their car, and who, in their quest to save a couple of bucks, voided their Audi warranties by going to cheap oil change places, used the wrong (ie cheap, non-synthetic) oil, very possibly the wrong filter, screwed their engines at around 36K as a result,  and who are now crying in their beer because Audi has washed its hands of them and is refusing to compensate them.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Stay away from Jiffy Lube
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
Checking the fluid is accomplished by breaking off the red locking seal located at the dip stick. the lock is replaced after the oil is checked. Use part number 140-991-00-55 for a new lock. There is no dip stick to check the ATF. You need a special tool to check the fluid on all 722.6 transmissions, part number 140-589-15-21-00.

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to the shop (I haven't worked there since Jan. 2000).  The "special tool" thing was writing on the all for me.  Ontop of "special tools" and lack of technical assistance I decided to leave that line of work for something a little more lucrative.  

A good anecdote from that time period;  Had a customer drop off his 1985 300SD for a standard oil change.  After he picked it up and drove it home he called me back asking if we changed the oil.  I assured him that we had and asked him why he thought we didn't.  He said he pulled the oil dipstick and found the oil was "completely black".  

One word for Mercedes owner's to look out for: evaporators.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo