Author Topic: Stay away from Jiffy Lube  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
Stay away from Jiffy Lube
« on: June 14, 2006, 11:51:31 AM »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 12:27:35 PM »
[size=10]LOL[/size]

Now I know why Americans take their cars for an oil change every 3000 miles. With one in three outlets actually doing the work the customer is paying for, you  should get an oil change every 9000 miles!

Sorry, skuzzy/jackall. No offence intended, but I just couldn't resist!

:p:cool::aok

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 01:56:04 PM »
I change my own oil and have since 99.  Usually around 5000 miles.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:05:24 PM »
I could not read the link, as they apparently do not like thier trackers being blocked.  Wierd.  Only 4 tracking cookies and they get all bent out of shape about that?  Sheesh.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:09:46 PM »
I never use Jiffy Lube.  Not only are they overpriced, as most of these "quick oil change" places have become, but they do cruddy work.  And they try to charge you for their mistakes.  

All my business goes to the local full service garage.  I buy my gas there, get my oil changed, state inspections, everything.  The only thing they dont do is tires.

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 02:11:29 PM »
And yet the line down the street at jiffy lube is still long

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:31:39 PM »
Jiffy lube isn't the only one ripping people off. This sort of investigative reporting is the only thing that will keep a lot of these companies honest.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 03:44:22 PM »
I never understood why anyone would pay for something that takes so little effort and about 10 minutes of your time.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »
I change the oil on my bike, but I take my cars elsewhere.  I went to a Jiffy Lube in LA once and didn't like the feel, but I've found a great place here in Oregon.  It's a Texaco Xpresslube, and here's where I like 'em:

1. They have a checklist that they go over loudly as they're doing the work.  I stay with the car, so I can see everything they do under the hood, the only stuff I don't see is what they do in the bay beneath.  When they start, they get a laminated sheet and wipe it clean, then each fluid they check, they dab it into the appropriate box on the sheet.  When they're done, they show me the sheet so I can see the color of each and what shape each is in.  The only thing they've ever suggestive-sold me on was the air filter, and that wasn't based on mileage, they pulled it and showed me the dirt.  

I've watched 'em work, checked the fluids on my own after getting out the shop to see if they were ok (it's my butt if a component fails, trust but verify like when pre-flighting), and I'm satisfied that they're a good shop.

If you don't do your own oil, look for a good shop.  The good shop might be one of the chains or it might be the local guy, but when you find it, vote with your dollars and go back.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 04:15:07 PM »
BTW, the local shops are NOT automatically honest.  Anyone remember the local shop that failed my emission test last year and offered to charge me $150 to get the code off the computer w/ ODB-II?  When I used my own connection and it showed no error, they backpedaled like crazy and offered to re-test me for free so I wouldn't write a letter to the better biz bureau.  

No thanks, I took it elsewhere where it mysteriously passed without problem.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:22:33 PM »
Whenever I take my truck in for work (I always do oil changes, tires, basic repairs myself) I go to White Tire.  Those guys always do their work, and let me watch if I'd like.  Definately some quality service guys.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 05:14:04 PM »
Unfortunately I have no choice.  Our condo complex will not allow any automotive work in the parking lot, and while I could try doing it out in the fields somewhere they have pretty hefty environmental fines if I spill even one drop of oil on the ground here.  Its not worth the hassle, when the garage down the street does it for 15 bucks.  I support a local business, get my car worked on by actual mechanics, not some kid off the street, and they actually appreciate my business.  So when they tell me there's a problem, its because they see me all the time and know my name, not because they want more money out of me.  They actually take me to the car and show me the problem, not just give me an estimate.  

Sears tried to rip me off last time I bought tires, telling me the CV boots on my Accord were ripped open and the joints would need replaced.  I told them no thanks, took it to the garage, had it put up on a lift and found a small crack in 1 of them.  The BOOT needs replaced, but it has not failed yet.  We reinforced the cracked area with duct tape and made an appointment for later.  Ive done it before, its not a job I want to do again.  I'm done busting my knuckles on stuff like that.  And I sure wont be going to Sears again for anything.  At least not that one.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 05:18:19 PM »
I normally change my own oil when the weather is good, but I went to a Quick change place last week.

A voice comes from under the car from someone I will refer to as moron #1 for discussion sake stating "sir would you come around to the front of the car?", well I go up there and he asks if the oil change is way overdue because its so black, I tell him that I normally put a pint of Marvel Mystery oil in 500 miles before the change to help clean the sludge, seems to be working. He proceeds to tell me thats not it and I need an engine flush to the tune of $40.00, but for me cuz I'm such a prince $10.00 off, I politley decline.

I'm sitting in the car enjoying my coffee and paper when lo and behold moron #2 walks up to the window and proclaims that my injectors are in dire need of a cleaning and shows me his soot covered finger as proof, believe it or not, they were having a sale on that service too.

I said "no kidding, you got all that crap off an injector?", and while enthusiastically bobing his head up and down I told him it looked a bit like throttle body gunk to me.

Well moron #2 gets this blank look on his face, and then to his credit, quickly recovers and said "ya I ment you need a throttle body cleaning"

Thats what I like, good service at a fair price.

shamus
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:23:18 PM by Shamus »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 05:58:36 PM »
I stay with
Astroglide Water Based Lubricant. Second only to nature, Astroglide personal lubricant is made to enhance the pleasure of intimate activity. The glow-in-the-dark label makes it easy to find, and the bottle''s oval shape means it won''t roll when dropped. Premium pharmaceutical quality, long-lasting, and non-staining. Water-based, safe for use with latex condoms. Also available in Strawberry flavor.  

Never seen this "Jiffy Lube" stuff on any shelf...and dudes if it's harsh enough to ruin you CVC Boots or any boots you wear, then Dayum that shoulda been yer first sign...

"Ifluff'n it eats up yer the boots, It'll ruin the coot!"

Some you City Boys really need to visit the Kountry to seek sum edukatin!

Sheesh "Jiffy" lube? S'posed ta take yer time a courtin!

:aok

Mac

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 06:08:27 PM »
:lol :rofl :cry :rofl :lol