Author Topic: WWII Online  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
WWII Online
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
From recent GameSpot article:
"The current cockpit scheme requires you to access a separate view to look at your gauges, which aren't legible in the normal cockpit view."

Yuck.

------------------
Mickey
3./JG2 "BigJoe's Bastards"

Offline Gryf

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.wwiionoline.com
WWII Online
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2001, 10:18:00 AM »

Rip: Please email me. If I don't know about problems till they are brought to my attention and obviously we want to get everything squared away for everyone.

I'll leave the balance of the discussion to ya'll.

------------------
Michael "Gryf" Weber
WWII Online Game Manager

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
Hi Gryf, I have replied to the email I received from you no fewer than 3 times in 15 days.

Regards,

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Incidently, you *do* know that a reply to that letter doesn't go directly to you(your email is NOT on the email sent) but to a generic playnet email server...you know that right?

funked

WWII Online
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
Some of you guys talking about the FM ever hear of an NDA?  Geez

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WWII Online
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2001, 05:54:00 AM »
It will no doubt be interesting to see just what the WW2OL flight model is like, and to compare it to AH.

But one thing confuses me:  lots of people in this thread have said things like "The WW2OL FM has to be dumbed down to attract players" or "The real flight simmers will stay with AH and its harder FM".

Possibly some people may be in for a surprise.  What if the WW2OL FM is harder/more realistic than the AH FM?  I mean, does ANYONE believe that a real WW2 fighter was as easy to fly as the aircraft in AH?  Fer god sake, my 5 year old son can fly an AH fighter with no trouble, with about 3 hours practice on the controls!  WW2OL might just be different:  no 'ezmode' trim, no 'autotakeoff'.... hell, the WW2OL FM might actually have engine torque!!!!

If so, this is just gonna be a rerun of the Air Warrior/Confirmed Kill battle of years ago.

The guys that like the 'dumbed down' FM stay with Aces High, the guys who don't mind working a bit harder to stay in the air go to WW2OL.

And as someone rightly pointed out above, we're forgetting TK.  Now THAT could really be the surprise packet of the year.  With the players actually able to look at the mechanics of the FM, there'll be no chance to artificially modify certain aircraft in a vain attempt at 'gameplay concession' or 'arena balance'.

Really interesting times ahead.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
WWII Online
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Here's an absolute certainty for ya:

When WW2OL hits the big time there will be heated arguments over its FM vs Realism, its FM vs AH FM, its FM vs WB FM... ad nauseaum.

I may just go to the game with the fewest whines, FM be d*mned.  
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

funked

WWII Online
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
 http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2716796,00.html

It would be premature to draw conclusions about the flight models for the aircraft since the game is currently very much a work in progress, but some of the issues that have come up during development point to the direction Cornered Rat is taking with the game.

Ouch!  

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
WWII Online
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2001, 11:25:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
quote:
---------------------------------------------
It would be premature to draw conclusions about the flight models for the aircraft since the game is currently very much a work in progress, but some of the issues that have come up during development point to the direction Cornered Rat is taking with the game.
---------------------------------------------
 Ouch!    (Image removed from quote.)

If you read the rest of the paragraph the statment above was made with respect to CRS's comitment to "realism". As in a restricted view system (no linda blair head swivel). It was actually more of a compliment then a slam. Nice try though funked   .

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 05-10-2001).]
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

funked

WWII Online
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2001, 11:45:00 PM »
Actually the rest of the paragraph discusses the view system and makes no mention of the flight modeling.  The comment about the flight modeling is decidedly ambiguous.  It's just short of "no comment".  I think you are right, though, that the Rats will do a good job in this area.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 05-11-2001).]

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
WWII Online
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2001, 12:48:00 AM »
I have no idea of knowing, but I doubt that CRS plans on dumbing down their flight model to appeal to the masses.  They have other elements of gameplay (tank combat, first-person-shooter, etc...) in WWII Online that I think the people who are not interested in the challenge of a realistic flight model will gravitate towards.

Gordo

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
WWII Online
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2001, 12:55:00 AM »
It should be a target rich enviroment  .
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WWII Online
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2001, 03:58:00 AM »
You want to know how it 'feels' to be part of a WW2OL battle?

Read THIS

Then drool a lot  

MrSiD

WWII Online
« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
Too bad none of the participants managed to take any screenshots.. 'I pressed and pressed but it wouldn't work'

Offline Vila

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com
WWII Online
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
I can assure you of this...

The flight modelling math of WWIIOL isn't "dumbed down" in any way.  

------------------
Vila <Flying Pigs>
Oink! Oink! To War!