Author Topic: Getting Started Questions  (Read 432 times)

Offline trianglemoon

• Zinc Member
Getting Started Questions
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:18:46 PM »
Hello,

I won't beg for any detailed help right now, but I've read through the entire help file, and I'm not seeing a few things that I'd expect.

In offline mode, I felt I couldn't get the plane going.  I realize these aren't jet fighters, but it was almost as though I wasn't at full RPM.  Calibrated Joystick several times, no help.  Manifold goes up about 80%, but RPM needle never changes.  I tried P-51d and F4U.

I was also hoping to find something about how to attack (bomb), etc.  It looks like (in the help file) you switch modes, but I really couldn't tell how I'd even know that I'd switched modes.  If anyone knows about a walkthrough, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Trianglemoon

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:24:38 PM »
try http://www.netaces.org for more in depth game info.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:25:47 PM »
YOu can take a look at netaces.org -- there's a quick link in my sig line below the message. it has a wealth of information and tips.

Make sure that your throttle control is also calibrated -- some joysticks have them right on the base. It could be the source of the problem. You can see what the program itself is seeing by goiing to options/controls/map controllers, selecting the joystick, clicking on the axis (like "pitch" -- forward and back), and watching the input lines move as you move the stick or throttle.

Also need to be aware that Aces High is more of a simulation than many other games, so planes will not handle like they're on rails at all. Maneuvers take up energy anmd speed; if you havent build up enough speed yet, pulling on the stick will just make you feel like you're steering a floppy fish.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:39:06 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:38:11 PM »
Oh, and your second questions about the bombing.

The only place you select "attack" or "fighter" is in the hangar, where there will be buttons beneath the window for that setting. Those settings ONLY affect scoring for statistical purposes, and for now you probably shouldnt worry about that. Just take off and do what you want.

To select for the bomb or rocket, you'll need to first bind the command -- it apparently got left out of the most recent patch. Go to options/controls/map keys. Then under gloabal, at the bottom yuou'll see weapon select secondary. Click on that, then on the keyboard image above click on the backspace key. From then on, when you hit backspace you'll cycle throuigh the secondary weapons.

When in flight, backspace select the weapon you want...point the airplane ... and use the second fire button to release. World War 2 weapons are "dumb", meaning they;re not guided after release. You have to get a feel for where they'll hit based on the angle you're flying, the speed, and how long they have to drop before hitting. Most need 800-1000 meters air time to arm, or they'll just hit the ground wothout exploding.

To make this easier, I'd sugget you spend some time in the Training Arena (or TA) Usually you'll find someone willing to help suring US prime time hours, and soemtimes there'll be an official trainer who's only there to help folks like you.

Even if you're all alone in the TA, its a GREAT PLACE to practice bombing -- because IN THERE ONLY there will be a green plus sign showing where you're selected weapons would hit if you released them right now. (You can set up offline practice tro do the same thing, but it takes you into the guts of the program a bit more than you may want right now.)

THis game has the LONGEST learning curve of any I've seen, but many stick with it because its also the most addic ting and rewarding computer pastime I 've found. It is addicting....you've been warned.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline trianglemoon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:57:59 PM »
Thanks very much for the great replies!

I gathered from the beginning that this was probably fairly realistic, and from what I can tell, it is pretty "grass roots."  I know from experience that those kinds of applications can be the absolute best, but sometimes have the learning curve you mentioned, and require a few dedicated people to help newbies along.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be around for a while.

Regards,

Trianglemoon

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Getting Started Questions
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by trianglemoon

In offline mode, I felt I couldn't get the plane going.  I realize these aren't jet fighters, but it was almost as though I wasn't at full RPM.  Calibrated Joystick several times, no help.  Manifold goes up about 80%, but RPM needle never changes.

Trianglemoon,  did you select your throttle under the game controllers section?  take a peek at that.

I was also hoping to find something about how to attack (bomb), etc.  It looks like (in the help file) you switch modes, but I really couldn't tell how I'd even know that I'd switched modes.  If anyone knows about a walkthrough, I'd be very appreciative.

I'd be glad to help you with divebombing or level bombing in a buff anytime.

hap

I fly bishops and am a member of the 444th Air Mafia