Author Topic: My opinion on how things got confused in Friday night's frame  (Read 849 times)

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
My opinion on how things got confused in Friday night's frame
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 10:09:46 PM »
Daddog you keep him busy in Debate over this at the Con, and I get to fly on his PC, drinks on me.  shhhh dont let hornet know
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 10:14:50 AM »
:aok
What I want to know is how come my posts from work have those little questions marks for every apostrophe ‘
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »
I believe the funky characters is from Mozilla / Firefox and possibly a incorrectly set character encoding.  Let me see if mine shows up wrong:

Offline Nomde

• Nickel Member
      • Web Master
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2006, 06:57:07 PM »
Originally posted by forHIM
I believe the funky characters is from Mozilla / Firefox and possibly a incorrectly set character encoding.

I use mozilla and don't have any problems. I just think it's daddog and doobs hitting the hooka early, and watching their keyboard melt while timothy leary plays in the background  :D

Nomde
56th Fighter Group "Zemke's Wolfpack"
nomde@56fg.net

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 09:48:16 PM »
Just want to add some clarity for Drano here:

I built the basic structure for the Allies plan in the first frame.  I wasn't there to fly it so I don't know what happened.  I believe I understood perfectly what the designer was trying to achieve with the "sweep".  Send at least 15 Spitfire 9's over to France and mix it up with at least 15 190-A5's.  The plan had that task in it.  Fuel was always going to be a problem for the Spits.  Good.  Makes everybody work a little harder.

In the second frame I was flying in one of the Spit 9's that was given the same basic task.  What went wrong?  Well really nothing, but it just didn't work out as the designer originally intended - that's the fog of war thingy.

15 Spit 9's took off and headed for the sweep task.  They weren't all from one squad so they got a little spread out on the way.  The first and lowest group ran right into some 109's half way across the channel.  They engaged.  The second group joined straight in.  The third group, lagging behind, arrived over the fight.  After a bit of coordination it was decided to keep this third group high and headed toward the orginal target to intercept any 190's that may come out to the fight.

Ships that pass in the night.

The third group went all the way to the target area without seeing so much as a sparrow.  It then flew east, west and sideways around the target field getting hammered by puffy ack.  Finally with about 10 minutes fuel left to complete a 15 minute flight they departed for home.  Outbound over the coast they overflew a much lower group of 190s and 109's apparently on the way to refuel at the base just left.

Now right here is where FSO is superior to MA.  Spits could not engage even for a moment without running out of fuel and all ending up in the drink.  In the MA the spits would have screamed back to the field after a few minutes to catch the 190s etc on the rearm pads.  Didn't happen, wasn't going to happen.  This wasn't out of "gentlemen don't behave this way" thoughts, but rather the prime directives, in their priority, for squad ops:

1. Complete the task
2. Come home safely
3. Shoot the red dudes.

This small group of Spits didn't get a fight for the first 90 minutes, not because there wasn't one there somewhere, but because it either was the wrong fight or it was a suicide fight.  In the end, they did get an engagement (and completely screwed it up) but it was worth waiting for.

This FSO has been the absolute best for CO's I have seen.  There is a lot of work here.  You have to be on the ball or get run over in this series.  It's a model for future FSO scenarios.

It's not about a fast all in brawl for me.  It's about immersion and the sweat that rolls down the joystick when you realise that you are going into battle with one life, and it matters.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 10:39:28 PM »
Originally posted by Dantoo
It's not about a fast all in brawl for me.  It's about immersion and the sweat that rolls down the joystick when you realise that you are going into battle with one life, and it matters.

My feelings EXCATLY.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 05:28:42 AM »
Originally posted by doobs
Daddog you keep him busy in Debate over this at the Con, and I get to fly on his PC, drinks on me.  shhhh dont let hornet know

Your going to pay for drinks for Daddog and me as long as we debate this??? Daddog looks like we could get real drunk cheap since Doobs is the ONLY squadie I'm going to charge beers for flight time:D
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:34 AM »
Dantoo :aok
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers